• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Did anyone get into a good school with only a so-so LOR?

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
    I am really worried about my LORs. I need 3 science faculty letters and one of the three whom I was counting on told me today he didn't know me well enough to write one. My GPA is really high and I have a wide range of extracirruclars (except research which I am also worried about). I feel if schools needed more outside letters I would be fine becuse I have done so many internships and things in the community. Was anyone in this position with LORs but got into a really good school?

erin682

10+ Year Member
    Oct 21, 2004
    Hogwarts
    1. Attending Physician
      I got kind of screwed by my advisor who was writing the letter from my school's pre-med commitee. He apparently put like zero effort into it even though he knew me. I never saw it of course but I had schools tell me that given my scores I should have had more interviews and earlier interviews so I know that there was something wrong with that part of my application. Anyway long story short I got waitlisted by Emory and Washington U post interview. I think I would have had a decent shot at Emory b/c they requested 2 additional LORs, it was just too late b/c my advisor had gotten around to sending my LOR 2 months after I'd asked for it so my interview was really late. I didn't end up pursuing either Emory or Washington because I decided to go to my state school and pay 1/3 of the tuition. Its a good school too.

So short answer, yes, you can get in to a good school with a mediocre or in my case $hitty LOR, it just might take a little more effort to make up for it. Also if you do get waitlisted at a school you really want to go to you can send letters of intent along with more LOR's. That seems to make a big difference at a lot of schools. Anyway lots of luck. Hope your process goes better than mine did. :)

About the Ads

NRAI2001

3K Member
      15+ Year Member
      Nov 6, 2001
      Cali
        erin682 said:
        I got kind of screwed by my advisor who was writing the letter from my school's pre-med commitee. He apparently put like zero effort into it even though he knew me. I never saw it of course but I had schools tell me that given my scores I should have had more interviews and earlier interviews so I know that there was something wrong with that part of my application. Anyway long story short I got waitlisted by Emory and Washington U post interview. I think I would have had a decent shot at Emory b/c they requested 2 additional LORs, it was just too late b/c my advisor had gotten around to sending my LOR 2 months after I'd asked for it so my interview was really late. I didn't end up pursuing either Emory or Washington because I decided to go to my state school and pay 1/3 of the tuition. Its a good school too.

So short answer, yes, you can get in to a good school with a mediocre or in my case $hitty LOR, it just might take a little more effort to make up for it. Also if you do get waitlisted at a school you really want to go to you can send letters of intent along with more LOR's. That seems to make a big difference at a lot of schools. Anyway lots of luck. Hope your process goes better than mine did. :)

Do you think good LORs could make up for below avg GPA and MCATs?

Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 1, 2002
          NRAI2001 said:
          Do you think good LORs could make up for below avg GPA and MCATs?

They might, but I wouldn't bank all your money on it. They would certainly help, but I think LORs are really just to verify via a few other people that you are a good candidate. A really bad LOR, on the other hand, could *really* hurt you, but I don't think most professors in good conscience would write anybody a bad letter.

I had several good letters of rec, but one of my science letters was from a professor who barely knew me (I came to his office like twice), and he told me that he wasn't going to put much in the letter other than that I got an A in his class and I liked chemistry. But since I was a non science major I didn't know any professors better, so I went with it. I did have strong numbers. Anyway, I'm fortunate enough to go to Hopkins now, so I can't say that hurt me in the process - and I'd be surprised if I got rejected or waitlisted somewhere solely because of that one letter. But you'd probably have to make up for a lukewarm letter somewhere else in your app.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.