rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
hey guys i spoke to yvonne yesterday and she said that they would be calling acceptees today. NO call for me... wondering if anyone else heard, or knows when we will hear. The adcommittee met yesterday afternoon...

good luck everyone

b

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
rjb said:
hey guys i spoke to yvonne yesterday and she said that they would be calling acceptees today. NO call for me... wondering if anyone else heard, or knows when we will hear. The adcommittee met yesterday afternoon...

good luck everyone

b

they met to deliberate over which interview time frame? I interviewed the first wk of march; would they already be looking over those times? Thanks!

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
no.. i interviewed feb 20 something. Yours will prob be in three weeks.. GOOD LUCK!

btowngirl

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
Status
Does anyone have any idea what it means to be in the acceptable pool? When are we going to hear something?

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
hey btwon girl, when did u interview? did u get a call? acceptable pool is there waitlist but they actually take A LOT of their waitlist... so acceptable pool makes more sense.

b

btowngirl

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
Status
rjb said:
hey btwon girl, when did u interview? did u get a call? acceptable pool is there waitlist but they actually take A LOT of their waitlist... so acceptable pool makes more sense.

b
i interviewed in november i think, maybe october. i got put in the acceptable pool about 4 weeks after i interviewed.

when i interviewed, i thought they said that people would be pulled off the acceptable pool and given acceptances throughout the cycle as ucsd had interviewed more of its applicants. however, it doesnt seem like anyone has been taken out of this pool post-interview, so i am clearly wrong about this idea. (i also thought this was the case for OHSU's hold pool, which so far i am wrong about also).

bhp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
rjb said:

good luck everyone

b
I also interviewed during the last week of Feb... but I didn't get a phone call from them today. Did Yvonne specifically say they are reviewing the application from the last two weeks of Feb.? When I interviewed at UCSD, the interviewers told me they are meeting once every two weeks, and they told me they are supposed to meet last Monday...
Good luck to everyone!

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
when did u interview? i was there the 22nd! I hope they didnt call ANYONE today lol and we can still get in tommorow.. :love:

JohnBasedow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
btowngirl said:
i interviewed in november i think, maybe october. i got put in the acceptable pool about 4 weeks after i interviewed.

when i interviewed, i thought they said that people would be pulled off the acceptable pool and given acceptances throughout the cycle as ucsd had interviewed more of its applicants. however, it doesnt seem like anyone has been taken out of this pool post-interview, so i am clearly wrong about this idea. (i also thought this was the case for OHSU's hold pool, which so far i am wrong about also).

I was under the impression that acceptable pool people would start really seeing action around May 15, and by the end of May, a waitlist would be formed from the top half of the acceptable pool. I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled out of the acceptable pool yet.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
I was told that the acceptable pool is dynamic, meaning applicants in this group get reviewed every meeting (every other monday). Thus, someone in the acceptable pool can potentially get accepted anytime before May 15th. BTW, SD is expecting to accept 75-125 more applicants this year. The waitlist is compiled in Mid-June, and the majority of the waitlist movement occur by mid-July.

JohnBasedow said:
I was under the impression that acceptable pool people would start really seeing action around May 15, and by the end of May, a waitlist would be formed from the top half of the acceptable pool. I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled out of the acceptable pool yet.

JohnBasedow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
sdnstud said:
I was told that the acceptable pool is dynamic, meaning applicants in this group get reviewed every meeting (every other monday). Thus, someone in the acceptable pool can potentially get accepted anytime before May 15th. BTW, SD is expecting to accept 75-125 more applicants this year. The waitlist is compiled in Mid-June, and the majority of the waitlist movement occur by mid-July.
Really. This would be very good news for those of us in the acceptable pool. Where did you hear this? And have you heard of anyone getting pulled from the pool this year so far?

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
JohnBasedow said:
Really. This would be very good news for those of us in the acceptable pool. Where did you hear this? And have you heard of anyone getting pulled from the pool this year so far?

Dr. Kelly.

I don't know if anyone has been accepted from the pool this year. Although Dr. Kelly said (and I paraphrase) that "very few applicants are offered straight-up acceptances. UCSD sets the bar very very high initially, and as spaces become available, that bar gets lower and lower until the spaces are filled."

It seems like UCSD is very big on numbers. I bet applicants who have been offered acceptances to UCSD this year have unbelievable numbers.

btowngirl

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
Status
lilxsmilez said:
actually my friend just got accepted from the acceptable pool a couple weeks ago..I think she may have interviewed around November as well..
good to know this. thanks.

btowngirl

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
Status
sdnstud said:
Dr. Kelly.

I don't know if anyone has been accepted from the pool this year. Although Dr. Kelly said (and I paraphrase) that "very few applicants are offered straight-up acceptances. UCSD sets the bar very very high initially, and as spaces become available, that bar gets lower and lower until the spaces are filled."

It seems like UCSD is very big on numbers. I bet applicants who have been offered acceptances to UCSD this year have unbelievable numbers.
we lets lower that bar and let more of us in!

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
i got waitlisted today, and im HELLA pissed off. i had bomb interviews and really wanna go to SD. now i have to wait until June...

did anyone get in or is it all waitlist now?

im sure its not

btowngirl

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
Status
rjb said:
i got waitlisted today, and im HELLA pissed off. i had bomb interviews and really wanna go to SD. now i have to wait until June...

did anyone get in or is it all waitlist now?

im sure its not
did you get waitlisted or put in the acceptable pool?

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
acceptable pool... they dont have a waitlist do they/

JohnBasedow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
rjb said:
acceptable pool... they dont have a waitlist do they/
In another ucsd thread, scrappysurfer mentioned there's also a ranked waitlist in addition to the acceptable pool, although that's the first time I have heard of that. Can you tell I'm obsessing over sd? :laugh:

anj04

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Hey everyone. So I was just as confused as the rest of you about whether or not SD has a waitlist or not. However, after having read several UCSD threads on SDN and from what Yvonne at the admissions office told me I realized that infact UCSD DOES have a ranked waitlist. I think this waitlist will be made sometime between May and June. I plan to call the admissions office tom. in order to get some more information about this list and how it is compiled. I hope this helps and Good luck to everyone.

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
acceptable pool

supersnuffles

Yarr!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2004
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For those that have heard back either accepted/acceptable pool, does your status on final decisions sent change on their website?

Thanks.

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
los angeles
Visit site
Status
hey everyone, i do hope u all get accepted and we can be classmates yay!!

im actually a deferall from last year, and just so u guys know....this is what happened this year .....ucsd accepts more than enough people than the 121 people, then as we hit may 15thish it was last year, people could only hold one acceptance, hence after that date, all those in the acceptable pool would be offered a spot as space became available as the months went by.....as we reached june i believe it was the list was reexamined i think and some were given a waitlist spot for the summer and others rejected....

as to what happened to me personally.....i was actually an august mcater ....i interviewed in late february 2004, i had such nice interviewees! .....after i believe 2-3 weeks i was said i was placed into the acceptable pool, then on may 17th....i received an email to call the office...and then ms coleman said i was accepted...and then i screamed like a banshee hehe....so i hope this elucidates some stuff......

keep up the optimism, theres still tons of time left...i remember i got a ucdavis interview as well in april, a ucla one in april and pittsburgh in march....so dont lose hope!

much love!
noosha

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
someone has to have got in? It cant all be waitlist now... come on...

bump

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
there have been straight up acceptances given out this year, there are several on the acceptance thread, i got one, there is a friggin C/O 2009 thread. as for people getting off the acceptable pool i do not know.

i read somewhere here that 1/4 of the total acceptances given out go straight after interview and the rest are reserved for the acceptable pool. most people get the acceptable pool and lots of acceptances go out at once. i dont know how true this is, but i recall someone at the interview saying around 1/2 of the interviewees get accepted, and i know several ucsd kids that got the pool treatment. ucsd kids have the inside track here, a ton get accepted, so i would have to guess that they do a big acceptance swing around april 15, taking off a bunch of people on the waitlist. jsut idle speculation however....

JohnBasedow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
opinionkitten said:
...so i would have to guess that they do a big acceptance swing around april 15, taking off a bunch of people on the waitlist. jsut idle speculation however....
What's April 15 all about?

OP
R

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
ok... did anyone hear of anyone getting in last week... i have only heard waitlists...