Did anyone NOT READ the RC passages on the actual DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDPitch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've been researching, the true "search and destroy" method is to lightly read and write down key words, and then go to the questions. On the qVault reading, I've found that there is literally not enough time to read the entire passage fully and know where to go to find the answers to the questions, even with notes or key words. Some of these passages are like 25 paragraphs long. It's ridiculous.

So, I tried just going straight to the questions without reading a single word of the passage. The question usually gives you something to look for. For example, it might ask, "what was the pH of the solution when...". I immediately start scanning the passage for the word "pH", and when I find it, I read that specific area, and find the answer. Rinse. Repeat.

This doesn't work for inference questions or tone questions, so I'm not sure how well this would work on the real DAT. But on qVault, I've been getting 21s and 22s on the reading using this method. I might try using this method on Crack DAT Reading to see if it holds up there too. Did anyone do this, or something similar to it? I find that the passages are just way too boring and wordy to read them entirely, AND jot down key words/notes.

Members don't see this ad.

DAT Q vault and Top Score READING are too easy. They are simply search and destroy. The real DAT has more inference questions.

I actually thought that datqvault RC was harder than the real DAT, but there are a quite a few more tone/inference/deductive questions on real DAT. Be aware that there will be questions that give you two statements and you will have to choose if both are true, false, or one of the two are true, while the other statement is false. I'm not sure I would have been able to answer those questions, had I not read the passage.

When I took the DAT last month I did not read the passage at all before going to the questions. I used the details given in the question to find what I needed within the passage. Using this method, I got a 25 in RC.

For questions that required inference, I left them until after I had completed the other factual questions. When you've answered all of the detail-oriented questions, you have a better sense of the tone of the passage and the author's opinion on the subject.