Did anyone notice any repeated stuff from AAMCs practice mcats on the real thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the same logic for answers, similar/near identical questions to the practice AAMCs, and such. Usually, when I take lots of practice tests for something in college I notice professors use the same logic for different questions, very similar questions, or they only ask a certain kind of questions each time for a given topic.

Is this true on the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not that different in form from the practices. The difficulty might differ though.

Also, I got another question. What is the curve like on the real mcat compared to practice mcats?

No one knows, but they are different. Not only because of the difficulty but also because of experimental questions. So you have less than 52Qs, 40Qs

Members don't see this ad :)
Without being too specific to abide by my Examiner's Agreement, on my exam, there were some questions that fall into OP's description. However, it's only one or two.

If you were to encode this kind of question, you might get the answer you are looking for without risking detection.

AAMC searches SDN, or so I've heard from credible sources (regarding a "LizzyM chart" some time ago). It's been said that AAMC sometimes reacts to SDN threads by subpoenaing users real information, holding SDN responsible, and possibly even by making minor alterations to the MCAT on very rare occasion. For instance, if word really got out on SDN that MCAT isn't testing subject X (say organic chemistry or something), AAMC might read that and respond by sticking a few "presents" in the real MCAT for us. If you were them, wouldn't you be tempted to do that? I would.

If you were to encode this kind of question, you might get the answer you are looking for without risking detection.

AAMC searches SDN, or so I've heard from credible sources (regarding a "LizzyM chart" some time ago). It's been said that AAMC sometimes reacts to SDN threads by subpoenaing users real information, holding SDN responsible, and possibly even by making minor alterations to the MCAT on very rare occasion. For instance, if word really got out on SDN that MCAT isn't testing subject X (say organic chemistry or something), AAMC read that and respond by sticking a few "presents" in the real MCAT for us. If you were them, wouldn't you be tempted to do that? I would.

They do indeed.

Like the same logic for answers, similar/near identical questions to the practice AAMCs, and such. Usually, when I take lots of practice tests for something in college I notice professors use the same logic for different questions, very similar questions, or they only ask a certain kind of questions each time for a given topic.

Is this true on the mcat?

The style and such is the same, but there isn't really a logic to it.

Questions vary and they have a very LARGE question pool. They do reuse questions (which is why you can't repeat anything about the test) but since the question pool is so large, the constant variability of the pool as well as new questions being added by new professors and such, I would say the chances of seeing a similar question is pretty nil and if it happens, its only going to be one question at most (not really significant on the MCAT).

Just buckle down and study as if EVERYTHING will be tested and pray that you get questioned on subjects you know well. Despite what's been said, sometimes the MCAT is also about luck.