Did anyone receive anything today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mail box was empty today. Anyone want to share their excitement?

Maybe tomorrow, ::sigh::

:oops:

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad.

I share your disappointment Desi. Another empty mailbox. You wonder what these schools are up to. Well at least you have two interviews to look forward to. Maybe tomorrow the sun will shine on your mailbox!

I have one official interview, meaning I got a letter. The other one was a verbal one. I hope it wasn't a mistake, and knowing me I will be skeptical until I receive the letter. I was skeptical since UPENN rarely interviews people without their DAT scores, however they do sometimes so that is the main reason for my doubts.

::sigh:: :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is another day. No matter how ahead you feel you can't be happy, I guess that is what they call pre-interview depression, followed by post-interview depression and then finally a nervous break down right before Christmas. Ain't it grand!!?

God help us all.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, very grand indeed!

My mailbox drought continues. After hearing from 5 schools in one week, I've gotten nothing at all this week. I applied to two schools which don't interview at all, and my application is complete with those schools, so I suppose I ought to remember that when I get down about the lack of mail. One the bright side, I should be receiving another interview invite tomorrow or Friday -- hopefully that can sustain my selfish needs ;) !

which two schools dont interview at all? My committee letter is being sent out this week...I had my recc's finished in may, but my advisor is writing it now...he was on vacation for sometime, so my app will finally get to the schools soon :rolleyes:

you mentioned that two schools that you applied to, don't require interviews. If you don't mind me asking which were they? Do you find it strange that they don't interview, don't they want to meet the next generation of dentist

hockeydentist

Marquette and Creighton doesn't interview their applicants...

Nothing spectacular in the mail for me today, either. I got my status card from Columbia..and get this it is postmarked August 8th, 2002. So it means it took 13 days to get to me. Maybe that is why there is a slow down in the mailbox. I did call UPENN today and they confirmed they sent me an interview invite, I most likely will interview either Sept. 19 or 20 there and Temple, respectively. I'm excited for Temple's interview, but nervous for UPENN's. If anyone has some insight on these two schools that would be great. Thanks.

DesiDentist

Hi DesiDentist. I am going to apply 2004 admission. However, I am still working on post-bachelor work for pre-required courses. Do you mind I ask you how many biology courses and the score of your DAT? As my understanding, the more biology courses, the better! Hope you can give me some idea. Thanks!

grettlin,

I've taken a year of general biology, biochemistry, neurobiology, and microbiology.

Honestly, I don't agree with the more the better. It is better to take the general bio courses and totally understand everything (work hard). The DAT will not test you on the advanced topics. Like in micro, they will probably have one question like, what does a prokaryote have ?? or one neuro question?? These questions are talked about in a year of gen bio. So a good solid biology course is sufficient.

It does get easier since majority of my upperlevel courses spend sometime repeating the same old stuff from gen bio, but that gets boring.

As for my DAT scores, I haven't taken it yet and will be taking it in the first week of sept. I will update you when I know.

DesiDentist

I went to Temple last year with my neighbor when he interviewed. Granted, I wasn't in the interview, but I looked around the school and went on a tour. I didn't have any specific gripes about the program, but the location of campus was *way* too ghetto for me (I have a family and that's one of my criteria for choosing schools). Others might enjoy it just fine. Because of location and area, I chose not to apply there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard UPENN is in an even more "ghetto" area. However, I believe if you are vigilant and conscience about your surroundings you should do fine. Most of the "crimes" are petty thefts that can be easily avoided if you are careful.

However, we will find out when I go and visit their campuses. I went to Philly last year and I was amazed at the difference from the west coast. However, I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. The history and architecture was fantastic. However, you also have to remember that due to the increase in poverty Temple has such a clinically based program. You will do procedures that will make you the best dentist possible.

DesiDentist

Also, "ghetto" schools are usually the ones with good patient availability because they are often the only source of affordable dental care for the underpriviledged inner-city populations-- i.e. you have a captive patient pool. Makes life easier during your third- and fourth-years when you need patients with specific problems (operative, endo, prostho, etc.) to satisfy clinical production requirements! A good source of licensing board exam patients too if you are going to practice in a region that requires live-patient exams for licensure..

It makes me wonder how do those poor saps out at Stony Brook ever get enough patients heh heh.. j/k

My sister has never had a patient shortage while she attended NYUCD thanks to its location.. Here at UB it's a different story (barely enough patients sometimes).

Do you guys know how do Marquett and Creighton select their students? I know they dont interview some students but my friend who was on the border line( low gpa, late applicant) did received an interview. What are their criteria?? What kind of stats are they looking for?

I don't think they interview at all... as I never recieved any interview calls from either school. I got waitlisted at Creighton, and was granted a conditional acceptance at Marquette with recieving any interview

Originally posted by UBTom
Also, "ghetto" schools are usually the ones with good patient availability because they are often the only source of affordable dental care for the underpriviledged inner-city populations-- i.e. you have a captive patient pool. Makes life easier during your third- and fourth-years when you need patients with specific problems (operative, endo, prostho, etc.) to satisfy clinical production requirements! A good source of licensing board exam patients too if you are going to practice in a region that requires live-patient exams for licensure..

UBTom makes a good point.

ALI,

In the past, Marquette has extended interviews to only those applicants who are in-state. I'm fairly sure that the same applies to this year's applicants as well.

Generally speaking, the stats they look for are the same as the majority of the other dental schools (excluding Harvard, UCSF, etc.). Overall GPA in the 3.3-3.4 range, science GPA in the 3.15-3.3 range, and 18 or above on the DAT (and subsections).

I applied to Creighton because I live in Utah, and can participate in the RDEP program. Under that program I can do my first two years at the University of Utah med. school, and then go out to Omaha for the last two years of dental school.

I'm interested in Marquette's new building and clinics, which was one of the many reasons I applied there.

MCG sent stuff out today. I know there are very few people on this board that care about that one but I am happy :clap:

Hi DesiDentist, thank you for replying my question about "how many biology courses should I take?". I saw you get very good opportunities to be accepted and I think the courses you took (general bio, neurobio, microbio, and biochem) are really desired by dental schools. Hey, good luck for your UPenn and Temple interview. Let us know while you get "real-time" admission as soon as you finish your interview! :)

Originally posted by grettlin
Hi DesiDentist, thank you for replying my question about "how many biology courses should I take?". I saw you get very good opportunities to be accepted and I think the courses you took (general bio, neurobio, microbio, and biochem) are really desired by dental schools. Hey, good luck for your UPenn and Temple interview. Let us know while you get "real-time" admission as soon as you finish your interview! :)

HI Grettlin,

Thanks for your kind words. I will definately let the fellow SDNers know how my interviews went. I'm more nervous for taking my DAT than my interviews, but deep in my mind the DAT just seems like a formality. I don't know why I think that, but it does.

My biggest concern is that if something happens (negative) what will I do? Anyways, I will just have to face it I guess.

I will be in Philly for about 10 days. I will check SDN and post my experiences up about my interviews, the neighborhood, the people and the environment. If you want me to focus on something let me know. Thanks again.

DesiDentist

Has anybody received anything lately. My mailbox is empty once again:( . Which makes me wonder are schools not looking at applications until september or are these schools just not interested. :confused:

I received a supplementary from UK today. Part of the packet is a form verifying shadowing hours and that makes me wish I had stayed at one office to do all my hours because now I have to run around all of metro Atlanta to get this thing signed. I also got a phone call from MUSC inviting me on an interview.

Grad M.S.

when i saw that you replied I was expecting good news from you. However, no other invites as of yet. I did get my interview confirmation/Lunch Order slip from UPENN yesterday, though.

I was thinking that since I haven't taken my DAT's schools aren't looking at my app. But it looks like its for everyone.

I'm interested to know what NYU and Columbia is upto. I thought NYU would definately hurry up and start interviewing.

I think GTChick is in the lead for interviews with four, and then Gavin.

NOVA should start sending out their invites in about two-three weeks. I think its better to chill until mid-Sept. My friends told me the only schools you have a good chance to interview in early Sept is Temple and UPENN and I got those, the rest start inviting in mid october-early december.

patience is a virtue, or a vulture ;-) You decide.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by DesiDentist
I was thinking that since I haven't taken my DAT's schools aren't looking at my app. But it looks like its for everyone.

I'm interested to know what NYU and Columbia is upto. I thought NYU would definately hurry up and start interviewing.

Yeah, it's for everyone. I haven't gotten anything lately from other schools as well. However, I DID get that UPENN interview confirmation letter as well, Desi. I'll see ya there! Time to dust off that suit. :D

I'm also interested in NYU and Columbia....but REALLY interested in U of Maryland. Any word from them from anyone? I haven't gotten anything from them since I sent in my supplemental app. :confused:

Gavin,

I haven't checked it. I don't have any of my stuff, it is at my parents house. What is the website?

Another boring day!! Where is the love from the schools?Anyways, what is everyone upto? What are you wearing to your interviews? Any crazy ideas?

I just bought my suit the other day, waiting for that to be altered now.

Bought my plane ticket, waiting for it to come in the mail.

Waiting, Waiting Waiting. ::sigh::

DesiDentist :rolleyes:

Lets talk about how expensive these damn airline tickets are. I bought my ticket to Indiana on line and it cost $275 do go on a thursday and come back on a friday. Can you imagine having to go on 5 or more interviews with those fees. Plus there is hotel and transportation. It is never ending. Oh well I guess it is worth it at the end. I spoke to a lady from CWRU and she told me I should be getting something in the mail very soon. I hope it is good news, but with my luck most likely not. I will just have to sit tight and see.

Tell me about it. I just thank my lucky stars that I got two interviews in the same town. Temple and UPENN are my top choices, too. Hopefully, I can get a good vibe so I don't have to go to any more interviews after this.

DesiDentist

I am so glad to have frequent flyer tickets for my interviews. My dad used to work in Brazil and those flights sure add up. Hotels are killing me. I wish I knew people in all the cities I will be going. I am staying with friends of my lacrosse coach in Philly but everywhere else I am on my own.

Gavin,

I couldn't get the webpage to work either but it probably won't until September just like everything else.

Tickets are a joke! BTW, many airlines (if not all) are adding $25 to the price of paper tickets, so be sure to use e-tickets when you can. I prefer them (so you should to!;) ).

I didn't get mail today. Dunno if I mentioned this to you guys yet, but AADSAS got my mailing address wrong on my application, and since all the schools just use the A-Client mailing labels, all of my stuff has been going everywhere BUT my house. I spoke with the postman, and it turns out I've been getting my stuff 3-4 days later than I should have been. For instance, the postman had a letter for me from Louisville that should have been delivered on Friday, but I got it on Tuesday. Crazy AND nervewracking (if you have lots of spare time, like me).

Oh yeah, unless you guys prefer to stay in hotels -- DON'T! Contact the dean of student affairs for the schools you are applying to, and have them hook you up with a list of students who enjoy hosting applicants. Most schools have plenty of students or families willing to host. They'll even pick you up from the airport.

Case Western had 13 students I could have stayed with, as well as the dental frat. I felt better staying alone for my first interview, but I think I'll sack in friendly homes in the future. It saves $$, gives you a good look at student life, gets you the low down on schools, and often negates the need for you to search out the location of the school/get lost on campus (the student will be going to the school in the morning, just like you!). Just a thought.

This was post 500! Yaaaaaaay!

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Tickets are a joke! BTW, many airlines (if not all) are adding $25 to the price of paper tickets, so be sure to use e-tickets when you can. I prefer them (so you should to!;) ).

UNLESS if you are brown like me and you expect to be searched from the waazoo to who knows where. Buy a paper ticket, and don't lose your temper, and if they touch you in the wrong spot..STARE.

DesiDentist

Nah, strong searching will happen at the gates (when you have your boarding pass). E-tickets are easier on everybody. At Salt Lake and Cleveland, I didn't have to use the ticket counter at all -- they have touch screens for printing boarding passes if you have e-tickets.

Gavin,

You might not get searched until the gates, but they come after me like hawks as soon as I enter the airport.

DesiDentist

Hey guys,

The reason you all aren't getting crap in the mail is........pretty much all dent schools are busy with their incoming students (like moi) starting orientation, etc. I remember when I went for an interview last fall...it was right around this time, and the admissions office was going CRAZY! The looked seriously stressed out and answering a million phone calls. You guys are LUCKY to be getting stuff right now! ;)

Good luck to you all. Keep us up to date on how it's going.

Has anyone who applied to Iowa or Colorado heard anything?? I was in the first application group and still nothing.

I got a letter from Iowa 2-3 weeks ago letting me know that they are not reviewing my application because my grades are too low for an out-of-state resident. Supposedly, they are only taking 4 or 5 out of staters this year. In short, I was DENIED! :)

I got Arizona's secondary today. It's pretty long, also there are two essay questions:

Describe your expereinces with helping the Native American Population?

Why AZCOM?

the first questions i scaring me. They didn't even say "Indian" I could have pretended like it was east indian. Blah.

DesiDentist

Also, they don't care about letters, they want two contact numbers. I guess they are going to call those people and ask them about you. It's very complicated, indeed.

Yeah, I also got the Arizona secondary yesterday. Even more exciting, was the denial letter I got from Kentucky today. That makes 2 denials and it is still August. I'm on a roll! :D

If you want long secondary applications you should check out the one for UCSF. There are 12 essays. Oh joy!

Originally posted by gradM.S.
If you want long secondary applications you should check out the one for UCSF. There are 12 essays. Oh joy!

Exactly, my main reason for not applying there. Good luck.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by DesiDentist
I got Arizona's secondary today. It's pretty long, also there are two essay questions:

Why AZCOM?

Which is very interesting, indeed, considering that the Arizona school has no affiliation whatsoever with AZCOM. :)

Gavin,

you're right, it is AZDOH, not AZCOM. Think I got carried away by their letter.

Anyways, i got a letter from USC today stating my status and everything is chaotic right now, but I should be rest assured that my file will be carefully examined when they get the time. plus the whole application fee etc.

DesiDentist