Did anyone receive anything today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the same USC letter.

I'll be writing that UCSF secondary app aaaaall weekend...well, these next 2 days ;) It's funny too, 'cause from what I remember, a few of those questions are similar to the AADSAS short questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Gavin,

You got a denial from Kentucky? Now I am scared to check my mail. Your stats are way better than mine.

i got an interview invite from Case yesterday.

si

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by GTchick
Gavin,

You got a denial from Kentucky? Now I am scared to check my mail. Your stats are way better than mine.

Yeah, and that was *after* I received their supplemental application (but before I sent it in).

And just to be more precise, the letter said they would review my application in mid-February!! That's just as good as a denial.

They have 36 spots for Kentucky residents, and only 14 spots for all others. I can tell they are really holding out in hopes of getting superb applicants for those 14 spots -- and I'm sure that they will. Chandler Medical Center is a great learning environment.

I've gotten hardly anything so far. They sent out my application last week (which was the 4th mailing) so not all schools have received them yet or have not processed them. I'm peeved that they didn't send my transcripts and LOR with the application. I called AADSAS and they told me that it'll be sent out this week with the 5th mailing. I don't know why they do that. Also, I haven't received my Confirmation Sheet yet either. Damn i'm not getting anything. Well I did get a postcard from TUFTS telling me that they did receive my application.

And also i'm mad that AADSAS got my name wrong on the apps. They mixed up my last name and first name. Hopefully, it won't cause too much confusion or any delays.

Juan,
With your stats, the drought will soon end. Get ready for a cloud burst.

Juan,

You aren't alone. Although I was in the first mailing, AADSAS neglected to put my apartment number on my mailing address. Things take a week longer to get to me than they should, which isn't a big deal, but it is enough to drive me crazy!

Desi,

Did you return the Arizona secondary before Labor Day?

yesterday I got a letter from NOVA that they are reviewing my application.

DesiDentist

Gavin, I didn't send my AZDOH secondary yet, I am waiting to finish up my DAT and then submitting it.

Hi DesiDentist, what DAT books are you using for DAT? Do you think Kaplan's prepare book would be everything I need to study? Thanks.

grettlin,

I'm using a ton of books. Each book is different and has its strengths and weaknesses. Kaplan's book is not the best book, unfortunately. The bio section is weak. the ochem and gchem section are way overboard. Math is very weak and short. I dont know when you are taking your DAT but I will be selling my books on ebay or other places where you can buy them, after my DAT I will let you know which books worked, which books didn't. I find that Advanced Placement (AP) test prep books are very well organized.

Kaplan book is bull.

DesiDentist

wow desi. I guess you really hate the kaplan book. I actually thought the book was pretty good. It covers the bio section pretty well and explains the g-chem okay. I thought it sucked for ochem so for that i studied from my class notes.

I thought that the Kaplan book was a fabulous study aid. Of course, it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. It is impossible to create a complete study guide for an exam as broad in scope as the DAT, however Kaplan came close.

My statement on Kaplan is this: if you learn everything in the book, you will get at least 21s on all the science subsections (and quite possible 22s or 23s). Those scores would put you in a very good percentile range, and keep you 2-3 points above the national average for the exam takers.

There are more complete ways to study for the DAT, but I don't believe any are as succinct as the Kaplan book. Sure it misses some details and perhaps has a few errors, but mastering that book will garnish you fabulous scores. I simply can't say the same thing for other books/companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe I got a little carried away when I mentioned that the kaplan book is "bull." I was just a little frustrated with its size. I wish they did it like the used to do, make 5 seperate books, one for each subject at least it doesn't make it look so overwhelming.

DesiDentist

still no confirmation sheet for me :confused:

Hey Desi and others...
what do you all think about the AP Biology Books (Cliff's or REA)? Seems like they cover the same topics more or less. Have any of you used them?
I have finished going through the Kaplan g-chem and it was worth it since everything is clear and to the point. I gave up after 2 pages in the o-chem section -- way too dry and confusing. I am going over the McMurray Organic textbook chapter by chapter and it seems like an uphill task (last took organic four years ago!!), although the book is so well written that I am in fact enjoying it. Maybe I should start a DAT thread...

Don't worry vixen. I still haven't received my Confirmation Sheet either and I submitted my application on June 23.

Originally posted by crimson
Hey Desi and others...
what do you all think about the AP Biology Books (Cliff's or REA)? Seems like they cover the same topics more or less. Have any of you used them?
I have finished going through the Kaplan g-chem and it was worth it since everything is clear and to the point. I gave up after 2 pages in the o-chem section -- way too dry and confusing. I am going over the McMurray Organic textbook chapter by chapter and it seems like an uphill task (last took organic four years ago!!), although the book is so well written that I am in fact enjoying it. Maybe I should start a DAT thread...

Crimson,

McMurry is the best Ochem text book out there. Everyone who used that book got at least a 22 on Ochem. I took the year long series which used this big brick book "solomons" well King Solomon would be upset because that wasn't the "wisest" book out there. I was so uncomfortable with Ochem that I snuck into a short Ochem class and they were using McMurry everything became a little bit clearer. Let me say I was in pitch darkness, now I'm beginning to see the light house in this fog. I got seven days to get onto shore. haha.

I would definately recommend using an AP chem book or a SAT II chem book if you want. I am using both and they are fabulous. PM me if you have more DAT specific questions.

DesiDentist

I could vouch for McMurray's. It was my OChem textbook at Columbia U. Very good text.

My personal opinion is that the Organic section on the DAT was far easier than the General chem section -- which wasn't too hard either.

I didn't study at all for the Organic section (literally 20 minutes tops) and got a 21 on that section.

If you have a fundamental understanding of Organic, I think you can get a 20 or 21 without studying. I believe that any studying on top of that is just icing on the cake.

For those who have trouble with Organic from the get-go, studying is probably a good thing :) .

Hey everyone,
I'm done with the DAT and the only thing I can say is that the test is way too temperamental. Someone should seriously "facelift" the whole PAT section....the lines were so unclear and blurry. As far as the sciences, I believe that one section is somewhat "harder" than the others, relatively speaking. I felt very comfortable with Ochem, Biology, and Gchem, but when the scores came up...I had mixed emotions. I ended up with a 21 in Biology, a 17 in Organic, and check this out...a 29 in G-chem. Who knows? At least the flippin' test is over. Good luck to everyone....especially DesiDentist. (Dude, just take the test...stop pushing it back...it feels so good just to be done!)
What the heck am I going to do now that I'm not studying 10+ hours a day?....maybe pay some attention to my two kids.
Good luck everyone!

teething,

wow a 29 on gchem. good job man.

Juan,
Hablas espanol? Tienes que llamar a AADsas y darles un combo en la cabeza. I submitted my app. on June 24th and I've gotten back my confirmation sheet already...but don't worry, they screwed me over by waiting almost 3 weeks to send my LORs with it. So the schools had my app. but no letters of recommendation. I literally hate AADSAS. It is ONE BIG JOKE!

hey teething,

when did you receive the confirmation sheet? did you have to wait long after AADSAS sent your application?

Originally posted by teething
Good luck to everyone....especially DesiDentist. (Dude, just take the test...stop pushing it back...it feels so good just to be done!) !

Thanks my friend, I'm taking it next week do or die. no more pushing it back. Congrats on your Chem score.

What type of problems did you have for thermochemistry and kinetics? what were your reading passages on?

DesiDentist

McMurry is the best orgo book....im keeping it....ive tutored and used that book, its the best! :clap:

still nutin' in the mail :rolleyes:

Just wanted to know if you got any interviews yet?????

later hockeydentist

Teething:

Awesome G Chem score! I totally agree with you about the PAT. Good luck to you!

Smile_doc

hockey, i still havent taken the dat and i think the schools are getting my application next week :)

Hey Vixen,
When are you taking the DAT? I forgot what date you set.
Hope studying is going well

Juice

I got my second interview notification yesterday! This one comes from University of Maryland!!:clap:

Hi, I got my third and fourth interview notices today: from NOVA and Boston. (hee hee, and guess this when I saw RSXers interview invite posts I was feeling a little behind earlier this morning).

The Big Guy Takes care of us all.

DesiDentist

Wow Desi, seems like you are getting interviews from each school you applied to. Will you be denying interviews soon?

Yay!! Upenn and Tufts today! I'm a little overwhelmed!
:love:

~Qoo

Today I got interview invites from: Boston, Maryland, Columbia, and Temple! I feel like I hit the mother-load....:D I am so happy!!

Arby

Way to go guys. :clap:

I FINALLY received letters from dental schools. Yay.
I got interviews from Boston and Temple and got a secondary from Creighton. And the letter from Temple had a note saying "Great job on your DATs." I thought that was cool.

Originally posted by Beagle
Wow Desi, seems like you are getting interviews from each school you applied to. Will you be denying interviews soon?

I don't know Beagle, I am a little nervous right now. It would be nice to go to all my interviews, but I really can't say until I go to Philly and check out the scene there. If I get positive vibes there, then I might consider. I'm flying down to philly in a week and then coming back at the end of the month and my NOVA interview is Oct 3rd (that is the day they gave me) I hope I can change it. I'm going to be drained when my school starts (sept. 30).

Good luck to you, Beagle.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by DesiDentist
Hi, I got my third and fourth interview notices today: from NOVA and Boston. (hee hee, and guess this when I saw RSXers interview invite posts I was feeling a little behind earlier this morning).

The Big Guy Takes care of us all.

DesiDentist

hehe. You were feeling a little bit BEHIND?? I don't think so. You 've been on top of things since the start! well...at least ever since ever since I started reading this board. :D

See you in Philly! UPENN is my first interview :eek: :eek: Better start preparing for it :)

BTW, congrats on the other interviews! :clap:

Did anyone go to an interview for Temple yet? If you did can you describe a little about the experience (like what kind of questions they asked, how the school and area is like).
I'm gonna be going to Temple on 9/23 so I'm interested in what others thought about the school and interview.

Hi DesiDentist, you might have your DAT in these days. Good Luck and show them your work!!

Hey grettlin,

Yeah, my DAT is creeping around the corner. I got a couple days of review and then I'm going to rest before giving it. Then the next day I got a flight to philly for my Temple and UPENN interview on the 19th and 20th, respectively. When I come back my school starts on the 30th and I have NOVA's interview on October 3rd and Bostons interview (undertermined) but it will be a regional interview, though.

Juan,

Temple doesn't start interviewing until Sept. 16th. I'm interviwing the 19th, which is the second day of interviews. I'll post up my experiences as soon as I get through it. Also, I know you will have to write a short essay and it is a group interview and very laid back. Hope this helps

DesiDentist

got my freakin aadsas confirmation sheet today :)

Hey vixen, did they make any errors on your confirmation sheet. I'm scared that mine will have lots but I don't know why its not coming. I think AADSAS either forgot or it got lost in the mail. My app was sent out in the 4th batch which was like 3 weeks ago so I should've already gotten it. The AADSAS ppl keep on reassuring me that I should be getting it soon but I don't believe them.

well i submitted on july 29th if that helps at all.

vixen....you submitted your app on the 29th and your # was in the 1500? Did you pay by C CArd? I submitted mine 6 days before you bu my # is in the 2300's. I didnt even get my confirmation copy yet. Dang i wish i submitted mine in june. has your apps been sent out to the dental schools yet? And if so how do you know?

Mr.T,

I know what your going through man. I submitted my app on june 23 and my AADSAS number was around 1300. I know people who submitted their apps weeks after mine but having number below 1000. So AADSAS screwed up and so instead of having my application sent in the 3rd batch, mine was sent in the 4th batch. Also, as for the confirmation sheet. I didn't get mine yet either. Its ridiculous that everyone else, even people who applied a month after me, are getting them before me. I think that with AADSAS, everything is just luck. Its too bad that i'm unlucky. :(

I received my third interview invitation today! This one comes from Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry. Applying early really does pay off!:clap: