c_liz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
I'd like some sdvice from people who read and passed NBDE 1 while working full time. How did you manage?
I try to read after work for like 5hours but it's really tough, should I just quit, although I do have to pay my bills :)

D(M)ental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
Dental Student
c_liz said:
I'd like some sdvice from people who read and passed NBDE 1 while working full time. How did you manage?
I try to read after work for like 5hours but it's really tough, should I just quit, although I do have to pay my bills :)
I understand..me tooo.Working full time and redoing part 1 :D
The first time I did it it was full time school + part time job + study for boards :)

mommydentist

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
florida
Status
Dental Student
c_liz said:

Donot give up. If life was easy, it would be boring. I can completely understand your position . I am giving my part one in October. I have a home, husband and a toddler to take care of and I am graduating from my masters this sem. All I am to say is Hang in there :thumbup:

dentistjas

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2005
USA
Status
Dental Student
Hello friends,

Work + Study, well if you donot have a choice then go for the combo. If you think you can totally give atleast 2 months totally towards yr studies, that is worth the sacrifice. DONT EVEN THINK FOR A 2ND TIME.
Every individual has a different situation...it depends what your deal is. I took part 1 while I was working all 7 days a week. I didnt really have to do it. But still went for it.
But guess what I might cut down my hrs if I have to retake.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

drchai

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
I studied for part 1 while working full time..and seriously i think its not bad coz u will be under pressure due to time crunch...and most of them do better under prssure...i studied 5 hrs everyday after work..for 5 months.So dont worry just go for it..and u will do better. :thumbup:

fido!

the ex-***!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i had to study for my boards and initially had to work full time..i.e.5 days a week!it was difficult...but not impossible.....i managed to pay my bills on time...then as the exam day was approaching,i was working 4 dayz a week and just before the exam i took a week's leave...!well i needed to support myself right...?? :laugh: :smuggrin:
c_liz said:

OP
C

c_liz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
fido! said:
i had to study for my boards and initially had to work full time..i.e.5 days a week!it was difficult...but not impossible.....i managed to pay my bills on time...then as the exam day was approaching,i was working 4 dayz a week and just before the exam i took a week's leave...!well i needed to support myself right...?? :laugh: :smuggrin:
It's good to know there are other people in the same boat, i am hoping to do my exam next month so kind of freaking out
Fido you were in VA right? that's where I am , hmm, feel like moving to cheap states like Arizona to save cash haha

anyone else who worked and conquered NBDE

queen naush

Queen
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2005
USA
Status
Dental Student
c_liz said:
It's good to know there are other people in the same boat, i am hoping to do my exam next month so kind of freaking out
Fido you were in VA right? that's where I am , hmm, feel like moving to cheap states like Arizona to save cash haha

Hey C_Liz. Moving to some place cheap to live while you're working and studying at the same time is not a bad idea. But there are some places in VA which are cheaper than others, which you might want to think about. I have been living in VA since last year, took my NBDE and started working after that, which was of course easier for me. Also, working while studying is not a bad idea since it gives you an outlet if you have no social life :D But if your job allows you to work full time hours for half the week and study for the other half then you might be able to manage it. Or you could distribute your hours to part-time over the whole week and study on a regular basis through out the week. It's really upto you. And Fido's right, just before the exam you can also consider taking a week or 2 off from work and chill out with your books to the max.
But whatever you do girl, don't move to Arizona. It's too hot there, which means a higher electricity bill :D hahaha.. gotta think that way also right?!!
Good luck and hang in there!
PS: My post is more about how to save money and manage time than about conquering the NBDE :p

b'lore

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 3, 2005
Status
c_liz said:

yeah..dentistjas is right..every indidvidual has different situation.i was working full time i.e 5 days a week including weekends(used to get off on mondays n tuesdays) but when i wanted to prepare for boards then i shifted to part time and studied form monday to friday,enjoyed working on weekends and took one month off from the job before the exam.that was good enough for me.
all the best for the boards...

fido!

the ex-***!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2004
well,i'm just coool,lite&eazzzy!'m everywhere but.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
whatever you say....!!! :laugh:
c_liz said:

reina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2004
Status
D(M)ental said:
I understand..me tooo.Working full time and redoing part 1 :D
The first time I did it it was full time school + part time job + study for boards :)
Its funny,
I used to work part time,like 16 hours per week.but actually from this month,first of Aug ,i have to work full time!!!!!!!!!!!
its really scary :( I donnow how to arrange my hours?!
I'm gonna work 5 days mon-fri,and i'm planning to retake my part 1 around Oct
so we all in the same situation,guys!!!
Good luck to all :thumbup: