Did AOA change the deal with PGY-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrOctagon

oooh, i like it like that
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that that the AOA has just recently (this past wk) changed things around ..doing away with the traditional "internship" yr. So to my understanding, as a PGY1 you are doin EM.

This really doesn't change things much if ur goin to an osteopathic program, since most internship yrs are linked, but i guess it works out nice if u apply to allopathic programs. I guess u save on that internship yr?

Not exactly clear on the details so pls correct me if im mistaken at all. (i have a feeling i might have misunderstood something here)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are correct. The AOA now has 3 options for AOA residencies, EM falls into Option 1.

Copied from www.do-online.org (click on For Students):
For July 1, 2008 the internship year has evolved into three distinct types:
  • OPTION 1 - The first postdoctoral year will be the first year of residency. This is the same as the current specialty track model. All trainees will receive residency credit for this 1st year of training. These positions will be known as OGME-1 Resident
  • OPTION 2 - The first postdoctoral year is not included in the residency, but is a specific preliminary entrance requirement into the specialty to produce an enhanced educational opportunity for that specialty. The trainee will have been accepted into the OGME-2 specialty while a senior in osteopathic medical school. These positions will be recorded by the AOA as Preliminary interns and be known as OGME-1 Preliminary.
  • OPTION 3 – This first postdoctoral year is not included in the residency, but is available in the format of a Traditional Rotating Internship. It may be utilized by any osteopathic graduate uncertain of residency plans or those who want a single year program. These positions will be recorded by the AOA as OGME-1 Traditional.
Option 1 specialties include:
Anestesiology
EM, EM/IM
FP, FP/EM
General Surg
IM, IM/Peds
Neurological Surg
OBGYN
Ortho
Otolaryngology, Facial Plastic Surgery
Pediatrics
Urological Surgery

Option 2 specialties
Radiology
Neurology
Neuromusculoskeletal Med/ OMM
Ophthalmology
Pathology
Psychiatry
Radiation Oncology

Option 3 specialties:
Dermatology
Physical Medicine and Rehab
Occupational and Preventative Medicine
Proctological surgery

So with this information, for EM residencies it looks like it is a 4year program with an EM emphasized 1st year.

So with this information, for EM residencies it looks like it is a 4year program with an EM emphasized 1st year.

That is how it was explained to me. The PGY-1 EM residents will be counted as part of the residency program starting in 2008 (right now we're counted with all of the interns in the hospital instead). I don't know how much the curriculum will change at various places. At my program we're already an EM emphasis internship with 5 months in the ED, so I doubt much will change.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks tolf!

That is how it was explained to me. The PGY-1 EM residents will be counted as part of the residency program starting in 2008 (right now we're counted with all of the interns in the hospital instead). I don't know how much the curriculum will change at various places. At my program we're already an EM emphasis internship with 5 months in the ED, so I doubt much will change.

Just so you know, even as a "PGY-1 EM resident" you are still a 'tern. Osteo or Allo! :D

But speaking as an MD, it's about time the nomenclature/number of years of training gets streamlined. I've trained beside, and been trained by, many DOs and I have never noticed a difference based on the letter combination after their last name, regardless MD or DO. I know this shouldn't be news -- did I EXPECT their to be a difference? No -- but coming from an ivory tower institution, I know there are some fools who still think this way.

So does this mean that the "five states" osteo internship won't be an issue anymore for osetos wanting to enter an allo residency as a pgy-1 because, as I understand it, licensing is contingent on completing an internship the AOA approves?

So does this mean that the "five states" osteo internship won't be an issue anymore for osetos wanting to enter an allo residency as a pgy-1 because, as I understand it, licensing is contingent on completing an internship the AOA approves?

I'm in one of the 5 states and currently undergoing the licensure process. Technically, Oklahoma doesn't require a DO internship. This means that we don't have to go through the resolution 42 process for AOA approval of an MD internship if we don't want. If you don't do a DO internship or go through resolution 42, you have to have done certain rotations as part of your internship. Covering these (gen'l medicine, ob, surgery, peds, IM, EM) may or may not be feasible if it isn't already scheduled into your intern year.

I can't speak for the other 4 states.

Just so you know, even as a "PGY-1 EM resident" you are still a 'tern. Osteo or Allo! :D

Sure, but as an intern at a DO program I'm not counted by the AOA as part of my residency program because in the current DO postgradutate system interns are a completely separate entity (with the exception of most FM, IM, & peds programs). Also, my hospital ID actually says "intern" rather than "resident"--I haven't seen that as current practice anywere else ;)

Sure, but as an intern at a DO program I'm not counted by the AOA as part of my residency program because in the current DO postgradutate system interns are a completely separate entity (with the exception of most FM, IM, & peds programs). Also, my hospital ID actually says "intern" rather than "resident"--I haven't seen that as current practice anywere else ;)

Maybe not on the badge, but check the gentian violet tattoo on the forehead
, TERN ;)

The first year of an AOA EM residency program will satisfy the requirements for the AOA board approval and licensure in those crazy states. However, it doesn't change the requirement of the AOA traditional internship preceding an ACGME program for AOA boarding and licensure in those crazy states.