Did bad on Step 1...will a good score on Step 2 help a lot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackberry13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 209 on Step 1...I was hoping to score a 230+ on Step 2 by actually studying this time. Will this significantly increase my chances on getting a solid rotation? Is something like anesthesia possible if I score a 235 or around there on Step 2? Please let me know if you have any stories or know anything about this. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

209 isn't the end of the world, you can still match anesthesia. For the 2007 match the mean/median step I was 220 and 25th %ile 208 (so you're still in the thick of the bell curve). 1071 US seniors applied and 66 didn't match (mean 200, 75th %ile 207), the odds are in your favor

Pull your application up in other areas.

Just out of interest what happens if people don't match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually after the scramble, everyone is matched. So don't worry about not matching at all. As long as you passed the USMLE, you're fine.

The only time you should worry is if you are a Caribbean grad or something, because then, yes...unfortunately a 209 on Step 1 might mean you'll never match...

Yeah that's what I thought.

I am an IMG so fully prepared to not match in which case I would stay in the UK, just doing the USMLE to give myself more options.

Elaborating: Students have to "scramble" to contact other program directors and fill any remaining open residency spots.

Does the scramble match you with the field you were originally applying to, or other specialties that didn't fill in their spots.

Does the scramble match you with the field you were originally applying to, or other specialties that didn't fill in their spots.

You apply to whatever's open. If you were applying to Plastics, you may be out of luck in the scramble and could end up in Family Med.

You apply to whatever's open. If you were applying to Plastics, you may be out of luck in the scramble and could end up in Family Med.

Couldn't you wait a year and apply to something more reasonable. If you are shooting for plastics, the chances are you are good enough for some other specialty you would desire more than FM. I would rather wait a year and reapply. Is that possible ?