Did cell biology helpped you on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latin_Dentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am taking cell biology this spring, does the DAT covers a lot of the topics mention in cell biology?? or barely nothing

Members don't see this ad.

Latin_Dentist said:
i am taking cell biology this spring, does the DAT covers a lot of the topics mention in cell biology?? or barely nothing

no

DAT samples a bit from everything so keep that in mind as you take your classes. Personally, I thought of all the upper division courses, biochemistry was the most helpful because it "samples" many subject areas.

If you take cell bio, it will be helpful, but not as much as you wish. I had a cell bio which went into the details of the cell cycle for couple weeks, however that is not necessary. The most detail I can imagine on DAT in terms of cell biology is perhpas distinguishing the functions of different RNA's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Latin_Dentist said:

Not really. I was able to breeze through the stuff about cellular transport, hormones, and the like while studying. You won't encounter questions that probe the mysteries of clathrin coats or replisomes. Best of luck!

Sprgrover said:
Not really. I was able to breeze through the stuff about cellular transport, hormones, and the like while studying. You won't encounter questions that probe the mysteries of clathrin coats or replisomes. Best of luck!

thank you all for your reply, this cell class is hell.

i just finished the kaplan course and i have found that cell bio plays in the majority of the bio questions. Mostly like cell function and transport processes. DEF know ur cell bio!!!

But I don't think you have to know the signal transduction pathway for JAK/STAT or what GP 130 do. However, interestingly enough boys and girls =) , I HAD A READING COMPREHENSION PASSAGE REGARDING THE MULTI-FUNCTIONAL USAGE OF CALCIUM ON A CELLULAR LEVEL. Interesting I say. I thought I would do better on the RC. Anywho.

Latin_Dentist said:
thank you all for your reply, this cell class is hell.

thats why i didnt take it.

who needs that crap for nothing !

Latin_Dentist said:

I took cell bio after taking the DAT and I imo it really wouldn't have helped much at all... however, biochem on the other hand... I wish I would have taken it prior to the DAT.

Welllll . . . I did have a reading comprehension passage by chance that dealt with a signaling pathway I'd learned in cell bio. Actually, it was the calcium pathway jk was talking about above. But, I wouldn't count on that. :)