DID documentary recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aly cat

Medical Science Liaison
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be out of town for my undergrad psychopathology class this week and planned to assign a documentary for them to watch in lieu of class meeting. My original plans were to show them something else, but due to shifts in the schedule I'd like to swap out for a DID documentary. The problem I'm encountering is that none of the docs I've found so far cover both models (i.e., they focus on dynamic/trauma model while ignoring the sociocognitive model). Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

I show the NYT short video about Sybil and typically review the two models.

Honestly, I never even thought of searching for videos of the models since I assumed there was little empirical research in the area (especially for post-traumatic model ). I have a pic I stole from somewhere that I like:

upload_2019-3-15_13-41-27.png

Reactions: 6 users
That graphic is cool, thanks! I appreciate you sharing it.

I know in depth coverage of the models doesn’t exist, but I meant more like they all say “doctors believe Helen has 7 personalities to deal with the horrific child abuse she endured in her youth.” I was hoping for something that at least mentioned the SCM or even just hinted that the data are scarce and an alternative explanation exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
That graphic is cool, thanks! I appreciate you sharing it.

I know in depth coverage of the models doesn’t exist, but I meant more like they all say “doctors believe Helen has 7 personalities to deal with the horrific child abuse she endured in her youth.” I was hoping for something that at least mentioned the SCM or even just hinted that the data are scarce and an alternative explanation exists.

Haha, real talk that's what I started out looking for but couldn't find anything so figured I'd settle for at least an acknowledgement/brief discussion. But zip, zero, zilch, nada. I'm genuinely surprised but then again... I should know better than to hope for actual scientific discussion in entertainment. Years (decades?) ago HBO had a pretty well done docuseries about substance use disorders complete with neuroimaging etc. so I was hoping to find something along those lines.