Did/Does anybody here major in Geography?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HCW212

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm majoring in Geology and Biomedical Science, does that count?

Members don't see this ad :)
^Just out of curiosity, thanks for the help though.

hmmmm, it would kinda cool to have a geography degree, but my school doesnt offer it (im sure of that)! :) i enjoy geography over history IMO...

i think dartmouth offers it...
only school i know of. well i heard it does.

Texas A&M has a geography major. We have a whole college of geosciences... I started off in Meteorology but switched out because I ended up hating forcasting.

MirrorTodd said:
My bro got it from UCSB and then his Master's at Univeristy of South Carolina

Whoa, someone else has heard of my school. I had to do a double take.

I just checked my university's site(Univ. of Hawaii, Manoa) and they offer a B.A. in geography. On a side note I entered a Geography Bee in 8th grade and did horrible. I only got one question right. That was because the guy phrased the question so that my kid sister could have answered it.

I think geography kicks ass. I haven't taken any in college, but it is still one of things that permeates everypart of life. Just say you want to do international medicine or something if your worried, I was at UW (seattle) at one of the two days for non-resident students and everbody there was either rural or had some experience in international stuff. Most people experience was not even medical tourism BS, just experience overseas. The admission people love diversity, I'd say don't worry. This degree will certainly not keep you out of med school. I think most med schools love to see pasionate people, no matter what they are passionate about. Just have a good story line as to why you have been led to medical school.

There is a whole group of geographers who do public health/preventive medicine research. Just do a search for 'medical geography' in google.

I majored in Urban Planning, which came from Geography and Public Health. I enjoy having a place-based perspective. I felt like when I found the major, the world suddenly made a lot more sense to me than it had before!

I didn't but I did have a friend who was once competed in the National Geographic Bee.

Does that count?

I'm minoring in geography here at UCLA ... really like it ...

major is neuroscience and applying this cycle ... sent in my app already!

I got my BS in Geography from Oregon State University.

I'm a Geography major at UT-Dallas. How do you manage all your Geography courses with your pre-reqs?

Geography at my school has the highest average salary out of any major and I go to a school with a very well recognized b-school, see if you can figure out why.

so you major in learning the capitals of foreign countries?

so you major in learning the capitals of foreign countries?

No, we majored in coloring in each of the countries using different colors for each major export. My grades went up if I stayed within the lines.

Geography at my school has the highest average salary out of any major and I go to a school with a very well recognized b-school, see if you can figure out why.

Geography such a broad major, there is no such thing as a "Geographer" , most Geo majors go on to grad school in Urban PLanning, some go to law School, and I'm going to med school. The geo majors from your school are probably lawyers.