Did/Does anyone here do HOSA or a similar organization, and how did it benefit them?

cranialcombustion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is an organization at my high school that, upon viewing their website (HOSA) and other sources, appears to be tailored for students who are interested in a healthcare career. It is an international group and present in many high schools as well as universities. The organization's purpose seems to be volunteering, leadership in the community, and a name-sake "HOSA competition." For membership, however, I need to to replace many of my planned classes with Health Sci courses, which is the requisite. This is an issue, as my classes which are "expendable" for replacing are either voluntary AP courses or my school orchestra, both of which I believe would help me for undergrad more than this club. If anyone has participated in such a program, did it help or hurt their future, if it even made any difference? (I apologise for ranting.) Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not worth it in my opinion. I did it in high school and it was really just another award to put on the awards section of my application, and even then the club at my school didn't have any ridiculous class requirements like those. It was fun, but I feel the program itself is kind of a joke (at my state anyways). There's so much emphasis placed on things that I think are useless that I'd never consider doing the postsecondary level of it.

Not worth it in my opinion. I did it in high school and it was really just another award to put on the awards section of my application, and even then the club at my school didn't have any ridiculous class requirements like those. It was fun, but I feel the program itself is kind of a joke (at my state anyways). There's so much emphasis placed on things that I think are useless that I'd never consider doing the postsecondary level of it.
Thank you, may I ask what state your high school was in? I'm currently going to HS in Texas.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk