Did I aim too high with which schools I applied too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmsr3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 15 schools:

USUHS
U of MN Twin Cities
U of MN Duluth
U of SD
U of IA
U of WI
U of Chicago
U of HI
U of Miami
Medical College of Wisconsin
Medical College of Chicago
Morehouse School of medicine
Mayo
Hopkins
Harvard

My stats are 34S MCAT and 3.97 GPA, 3.98 non science and 3.96 science.

Have been rejected by U of SD and Chicago so far, recieved secondaries from all schools except harvard, U of MN TC and Miami, though U of MN and Miami have told me they will send secondaries.

Did I apply to too many schools that are out of my league? Should I be applying to some other saftey schools or am I ok?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to apply to more safety schools. Its nice to get into the best schools, but you might want to play it safe. The worst you could lose is a few hundred dollars. Compare to your med school tution, it is nothing.

i am guessing you are from the upper Midwest. Why not apply to the schools in Ohio, Missouri, Michigan, Chicago?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am guessing you are from the upper Midwest. Why not apply to the schools in Ohio, Missouri, Michigan, Chicago?

Yeah, add some schools from these states, and go for the 'low' to 'mid' tier schools.

Ok, so I took your advice and applied to two saftey schools that I would actually like to go to. AND GUESS WHAT?

According to the school selector spread sheet Oregon Health Science University has LizzyM score of 69 as does U of Vermont. The schools have 62% and 86% oos respectivly, in terms of interviews and according to US News and World Reports, in terms of IM, (my prefered specialty) they are ranked 3rd and 6th respectivley!

My LizzyM is 74.8 with std of 2.9.

So for just $62 I was able to add 2 fantastic saftey schools, amoung the best in the country, located in beautiful locations I would like to study at!

BUT IT GETS BETTER!

I checked the spreadsheet to see how competative I was at the 15 schools I applied to. The results:

Hopeful schools: U of Chicago
Harvard
Hopkins

Go for it schools: Mayo

High Chance: U of IA
U of MN
U of WI
Med School Chicago
Med School of WI
U of HI
U of SD
U of Miami
USUHS
Morehouse

2 things are apparent, first, U of Chicago was the school I had the least shot of getting into, so no wonder I was rejected, Ivy league of the midwest indeed.

Second, 11 of the 15 schools I applied to are high chance schools and the school with the lowest LizzyM score that dosn't look at ethnicity and has over 60% OOS interviews is..........USUHS, MY #1 CHOICE Turns out to be my #1 saftey school!

Now add to that U of VT and OHSU as safteys and I have never felt more confident of getting in somewhere!

Thanky you so much everyone, from the bottom of my heart for telling me to go to that spread sheet and look up saftey schools. Not only did I find 2 fantastic schools I should have applied to in round 1, but I have discovered new confidence that will carry me to triumph!

Thanks again and good luck to all and to all a good night!

That was one of the most excited posts in a while haha.

We are happy to help you, and good luck to you as well!

Ok, so I took your advice and applied to two saftey schools that I would actually like to go to. AND GUESS WHAT?

According to the school selector spread sheet Oregon Health Science University has LizzyM score of 69 as does U of Vermont. The schools have 62% and 86% oos respectivly, in terms of interviews and according to US News and World Reports, in terms of IM, (my prefered specialty) they are ranked 3rd and 6th respectivley!

My LizzyM is 74.8 with std of 2.9.

So for just $62 I was able to add 2 fantastic saftey schools, amoung the best in the country, located in beautiful locations I would like to study at!

BUT IT GETS BETTER!

I checked the spreadsheet to see how competative I was at the 15 schools I applied to. The results:

Hopeful schools: U of Chicago
Harvard
Hopkins

Go for it schools: Mayo

High Chance: U of IA
U of MN
U of WI
Med School Chicago
Med School of WI
U of HI
U of SD
U of Miami
USUHS
Morehouse

2 things are apparent, first, U of Chicago was the school I had the least shot of getting into, so no wonder I was rejected, Ivy league of the midwest indeed.

Second, 11 of the 15 schools I applied to are high chance schools and the school with the lowest LizzyM score that dosn't look at ethnicity and has over 60% OOS interviews is..........USUHS, MY #1 CHOICE Turns out to be my #1 saftey school!

Now add to that U of VT and OHSU as safteys and I have never felt more confident of getting in somewhere!

Thanky you so much everyone, from the bottom of my heart for telling me to go to that spread sheet and look up saftey schools. Not only did I find 2 fantastic schools I should have applied to in round 1, but I have discovered new confidence that will carry me to triumph!

Thanks again and good luck to all and to all a good night!
dont jinx it man o_O