Did I blow my interview? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoareyou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at a school located in one of the largest cities in the U.S.
The interviewer asked me why I picked my undergrad to go to and I said that it was located in a smaller town with more of a community, etc.

Did I blow my chances? I guess I wasn't thinking of the consequences before I spoke.

Later on I said that the city (where I was interviewing) is diverse , etc. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The interviewer asked me why I picked my undergrad to go to, etc. and I said that it was located in a smaller town with more of a community, etc.

Did I blow my chances? I guess I wasn't thinking of the consequences before I spoke.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Can't be worse than the incredibly awkward handshake I had at the end of my interview at my top choice. Oh my god, I stressed about that for weeks.

there are so many factors that go into your decision that no one can really give you an answer. You've done the best you could, sit back and relax

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Can't be worse than the incredibly awkward handshake I had at the end of my interview at my top choice. Oh my god, I stressed about that for weeks.
Argh! You have re-evoked my negative memory of a limp, damp fingertip handshake I experienced this week after a near-perfect interview. Sigh.

To the OP: There is not necessarily a disconnect between your reasons for applying to your undergrad and for applying to this med school. Years have gone by, goals change, and you are not the same person. So, not to worry.

Reactions: 1 users
Argh! You have re-evoked my negative memory of a limp, damp fingertip handshake I experienced this week after a near-perfect interview. Sigh.

To the OP: There is not necessarily a disconnect between your reasons for applying to your undergrad and for applying to this med school. Years have gone by, goals change, and you are not the same person. So, not to worry.
Oh god, this was bad. I was expecting the one pump, quick formal handshake, so I released my grip to pull away, but he was still shaking, so he got the dead fish. Then I was like, you want to keep shaking, let's do this, and tightened back up right as his hand went limp. Worst. Handshake. Of. My. Life.
ff9ae13036bc0b3487fe9cf496453e86.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Oh god, this was bad. I was expecting the one pump, quick formal handshake, so I released my grip to pull away, but he was still shaking, so he got the dead fish. Then I was like, you want to keep shaking, let's do this, and tightened back up right as his hand went limp. Worst. Handshake. Of. My. Life.
Don't worry. These types of PTSD flashbacks usually fade after 2-3 years.

ff9ae13036bc0b3487fe9cf496453e86.jpg

Absolutely tragic! :eek::p:rofl:

So my burning question is, did you get in there? ;)

Absolutely tragic! :eek::p:rofl:

So my burning question is, did you get in there? ;)
Yep. It was my number one, and where I currently am attending. The lesson being, don't worry. Things'll probably be okay, many people overthink their interviews and underestimate their performance (which, honestly, is way better than the opposite case in which you overestimate your performance and can't see any of your flaws).

Reactions: 5 users
Yep. It was my number one, and where I currently am attending. The lesson being, don't worry. Things'll probably be okay, many people overthink their interviews and underestimate their performance (which, honestly, is way better than the opposite case in which you overestimate your performance and can't see any of your flaws).

So now you can smile big with your fishy-handshake anecdote. The dude probably had poor timing. ;)

Take some of these, please:

upload_2015-12-5_15-17-22.jpeg

The interviewer asked me why I picked my undergrad to go to and I said that it was located in a smaller town with more of a community, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully you followed it up with why their large city setting is something you're looking for in medical schools.

Even if not, I answered some interview questions poorly and still got in.

Hopefully you followed it up with why their large city setting is something you're looking for in medical schools.

Even if not, I answered some interview questions poorly and still got in.

well I said the diverse city would allow me to interact with a more diverse population not only through clinical opportunities but also through community outreach :/

well I said the diverse city would allow me to interact with a more diverse population not only through clinical opportunities but also through community outreach :/
You're fine, sounds like a good answer to me. Interests change, and after such a long run in a small-town setting, it would make sense that you were looking for some urban life.

Sort of related, but when I was interviewing at a school in a fairly major city and being from a small town myself, I was asked why I wanted to come to a big city. No matter the reasoning I gave, the interviewer would try to further press the question. As long as they didn't do that to you, I'm guessing your answer was adequate to move on from that topic.

Might as well apply to McDonald's....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

one comment is not going to disqualify you - dont worry about it

Out of curiosity, would that hurt the interviewer much in that case?

I always have sweaty fingers :(

Out of curiosity, would that hurt the interviewer much in that case?

I always have sweaty fingers :(
My opinion of the handshake did not affect my report on the interviewee.

[BTW, my hands are not always moisture-free either, but I blot them before handshakes if they are in that condition, to avoid an "ick" factor.]

You're fine. Why? Because you said you WANTED to be in a small town. Wanted. Past tense. Implies you did, and now, you don't.
And as this you said is a city school, than it's fine.

You're fine. Why? Because you said you WANTED to be in a small town. Wanted. Past tense. Implies you did, and now, you don't.
And as this you said is a city school, than it's fine.

Now that I think about it, I said having lived in both a small and a big city, I preferred a smaller town for college ://// anyway my undergrad was a very large state school, still.

Hopefully they won't think too much about it. Especially because medical school will be a much smaller class...

Last edited: