did I blow up all my chances?! :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I just heard from one my friend who just got rejected from BU , and he said that it was because of his C in microbiology, is it for reall? I got 2 C and 2 withdraw, my gpa is 3.7 now, I can improve it , but I can't get rid of those C'sand withdraws, ( I'm taking MCAT next year), what do u guys think ?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

I just heard from one my friend who just got rejected from BU , and he said that it was because of his C in microbiology, is it for reall? I got 2 C and 2 withdraw, my gpa is 3.7 now, I can improve it , but I can't get rid of those C'sand withdraws, ( I'm taking MCAT next year), what do u guys think ?

Breath really deeply, ok . . . plenty of people get into medschool with Cs, they aren't something to aim for but they aren't something to go into convulsions about. I got into three medschools and had a top 10 waitlist with multiple Cs and a D+ and some withdraws. I had to explain what happened but it wasn't the end of the world. Your friend is probably guessing as to why he didn't get into BU and will never know for sure why they were rejected, he might have just had a crappy PS or had a bad interview.

Breath really deeply, ok . . . plenty of people get into medschool with Cs, they aren't something to aim for but they aren't something to go into convulsions about. I got into three medschools and had a top 10 waitlist with multiple Cs and a D+ and some withdraws. I had to explain what happened but it wasn't the end of the world. Your friend is probably guessing as to why he didn't get into BU and will never know for sure why they were rejected, he might have just had a crappy PS or had a bad interview.

oh thank uuuu, i was like crying since i talked to him, :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Psipsina is absolutely right. Your GPA is fine, so you won't be ruled out on academic grounds -- you just might have to do a little explaining about the C's and W's. Make sure the rest of your application is strong & you should not have a problem. :)

I doubt your friend was rejected solely on the basis of 1 C (in a non-prerequisite course, no less). There were undoubtedly other weaknesses in his application.

I agree, no school would reject for having a C. Now I would try try try not to get C, but some times it happens.

I have 2 acceptances right now with a C in physics 2 and a C in genetics. My GPA isn't stellar either. Numbers only take you so far in this game.

I was accepted with 10Ws on my transcript. Things happen, and the admissions committee understands that.

'C' in neuropharmacology, 2nd to last quarter in UG (probably made me look like a slacker). final GPA: 3.48/3.51 BCPM. (no excellent MCAT to balance this out either). MD/PhD acceptance. My advice would be to stop listening to this "friend". No adcom is going to say "we rejected you for a 'C' in X ". Toughen up, get new friends, or both :D.

5 C's, 3 D's, 1 F--all but 2 of these classes were in med school pre-req's

Disclaimer: Outcome not typical.

Wow, I was going to say that a couple Cs probably never killed anybody's chances, but I am surprised to hear that some of the responders got accepted with Ds and lots of Ws...

Either way, kudos to all. More evidence that there's no real formula.

It'll be fine, don't stress out, just keep your grades up. A couple C's in a sea of A's would hardly be noticeable ;)

the director of a program i'm in (he's on the adcomm) was talking admissions numbers about BU, he said about 11,000 ppl applied, which boiled down that means there were just under 100 people that applied for each available spot. That makes BU more selective than harvard, and one of the most selective schools in the country numbers wise.
to some schools having a C may matter, but definitely not to all. i have a C on my transcript, my gpa is a 3.7 ish, i still was accepted to bu, and was also accepted to baylor. in fact, my C was never even a topic of discussion at any of my interviews. just focus on other aspects of you application, study well for the mcat, prepare for your interviews and you'll be fine.
good luck =)

hey guys,

hmmm maybe it's time you got rid of him?

he probably screwed up the interview and tried to blame it on something else.

hey guys,

I'm accepted and I had a C! don't stress man.. upward trend ALL A's and your a rockstar