MD Did I do enough to compensate for my 124 CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reckless Raider

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my aptitude falls into the science side of things, but I’ve been intentional to round myself out with good experiences. What do you all think, does my CARS score kill my chances? Where would you put me on the competitiveness spectrum?

-MCAT: 512– 131/124/130/127
-BCPM GPA: 3.90 (3.95 were it not for a dang B- in physical chemistry)
-cGPA: 3.70

Experience:
-700+ hrs as ED Tech
-800hrs Med/Surg CNA
-400hrs volunteering in ED
-24 hrs shadowing (psychiatrist & plastic surgeon)
-400 hrs undergrad research, half of which in a leadership role (no publications)
-400hrs (all of undergrad) volunteering and leading a college snowboarding community outreach program
-fancy title as “Student Director of Local Outreach” in college for a leadership role I filled while the Program manager was on maternity leave.
-30+ hrs (new) volunteering with Red Cross as a Disaster Action Team responder

I’m a straight white male, 22, married, so I don’t get any diversity points. Feel like I have a strong personal statement, and moderate secondary essays.

Thoughts? What are my weaknesses (beyond my CARS)?

Members don't see this ad.

You need more shadowing including some with a primary care doc. OST applicants have around 50 hours total. You also need way more hours in nonclinical volunteering. Most applicants have +150 hours in service to the community it’s, service to those less fortunate than yourself, service to the unserved/underserved.

You need more shadowing including some with a primary care doc. OST applicants have around 50 hours total. You also need way more hours in nonclinical volunteering. Most applicants have +150 hours in service to the community it’s, service to those less fortunate than yourself, service to the unserved/underserved.

I see what you’re saying about non-clinical volunteering. But about the shadowing, do you really think more is necessary? My current position as an ED Tech, I work very closely with physicians all day every day.
Any suggestions for community service opportunities? Like I said, I’ve recently started volunteering with the American Red Cross to provide aid to victims of disasters, but do you have any more suggestions?

Suggestions:homeless shelters,soup kitchens, habitat for humanity, camps for disabled kids, etc.. As to the shadowing question- I do think you need more shadowing, especially in primary care. Shadowing is passive in nature. It sounds like the ED technis very active and you are following directions from docs. Shadowing gives you a chance to observe a doc and how he/she spends his day and interacts with patients and families. This can include office hours. But ultimately it’s up to you to make the decision. It’s your application. Good luck !

Reactions: 1 users