Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Did I fatally screw up?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by tlh908, Jan 15, 2002.

1. tlh908

tlh908 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I was a high school teacher for 3 years and last spring I quit to go back to college fulltime to pursue medicine. Over the summer I took 12 credits of science plus an english course with a gpa of 3.94. Then this fall I took organic I, micribiology and a 5 credit anatomy course. I got a D in anatomy and B's in my other 2 science courses. (although I did research with a prof in which I got an A). The D in my anatomy course took my gpa from a 3.7 to a 3.35. How bad does this hurt my chances of getting into a osteopathic school such as PCOM? And I can't retake the class until this fall, when I would like to apply to med school. Any suggestions?????

2. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm pretty sure that the do application takes the better of the two grades- not both. So retaking is a must and if it is during the application process i wouldn't say anything about it until an interview- then it's easier to defend yourself & the grade by that time will hopefully have changed. As far as killing your chances- no it doesn't kill them, it doesn't help any but your not out of action yet. Have you taken the mcat?? if you can nail that you'll be fine!!

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You didn't shoot yourself in the foot, if that's what your asking.

Retake the class. Do well on the MCAT. Get great letters of recommendation. Apply early. Familiarize yourself with PCOM. Don't say anything stupid in the interview. Do all that, and you will be fine.

JPH
    PCOM Class of 2006

4. tlh908

tlh908 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Thanks for your replies so far. I have another question. I have seen some people with a bad semester or so and they always say they have outstanding circumstances. I have no such circumstances. I just didn't study like I should've since I was burned out from taking 46 credits last physical year plus I taugh high school half the year. Does the lack of a good excuse hurt?
    Thanks.

5. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did poorly one semester with no specific excuse other than it was a difficult semester. LIke was said before, doing well on the MCAT will show that you have the study smarts and can prepare for tough timed examinaations. Ignore your previous mistakes and work on the challenges ahead. If you score big on the MCAT, the D in anatomy will be practically ignored.

Definitely apply early and to several schools. Good luck...