Did I hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAPeds18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it is generally a bad idea to be dead set on a specific area of medicine and talk about it in your applications, but I feel like I may have an unusual situation. I am a nurse, and have experience in different areas through my clinical rotations in school, and through my work experience. I have found an area that I love, and am very passionate about. My passion for my group of patients is one of the reasons I decided to go back to medical school. I feel like I could do a lot more for my patients as a doctor. My personal statement was about my chosen field, and I talked about it in my interviews. Do you think this was a bad idea and hurt my chances? I had no acceptances this round, and only one wait-list, and I am trying to think of things I could do differently for the next application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe the major root of your problems is a combination of GPA/MCAT and schools applied to?

Also, I've read posts here in the past that say nursing degrees are kinda frowned upon compared to normal bachelor degrees. I don't know how true that is but just throwing it out there.

Yes. How many interviews did you receive? If you received many interviews, but no interest it's likely your interview skills are at fault. If you weren't invited for many interviews your personal statement (and your specific interests) may be more to blame. Want to know for sure? Call the schools and find out.
Yeah, check every school you applied to and see what they say the reason was you were not accepted. Since you don't provide a school list or your stats, it could be anything from applying unrealistically to simply have too low of stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses, I didn't include any other details because I just wanted thoughts on having an interest in a specific area of medicine, and I am trying to stay kind of private. I know to apply broadly, I didn't apply just to top schools. I probably didn't apply to enough schools because I want to stay in state, so that is one thing I can fix. I have a good mcat, and I improved my gpa by getting my second degree. My postbacc gpa is much better than my undergrad. I know most of the advice for making your application stronger. I just wanted to know if it was a bad idea to show so much passion for a particular area. I know the general advice is to keep an open mind, because as a premed you don't have enough experience to choose an area. I feel like I do have enough experience to know though because of my two years of clinical rotations in nursing school, and then I also have 7 years of work experience. The area I work in is by far my favorite, something I love doing, and the only area that absolutely doesn't feel like work. Is it acceptable to talk about this, or will adcoms look down on it?

What was the specialty? Talking a out your interest in primary care would likely be taken a lot better than, say, derm.

If only it was primary care.... they are in such high demand. I can't stand primary care though. I currently work in a neonatal ICU, and am absolutely in love with it. It doesn't feel like work at all. I even worked in mother/baby for a while, but well baby care just wasn't the same. Neonatal is absolutely my favorite, hands down.

I think that medical schools want to have students who are open to various things and who they can mold and sculpt. What would happen if you didn't get that residency? I would see it as a bit of a risk if I saw someone who already was working in a field that they love, say work doesn't feel like work, seems really happy and then wants to take a chance of losing that by going to medical school and not placing into that residency. I'm sorry, but I would just think to myself "why risk a spot with someone who is not open to other things, focused on one area of medicine only, and has already stated that they are happy in their current healthcare job."

I don't mean to be harsh, but that's what I would honestly think. You might have not come across as open to other areas of medicine, and may have indirectly said that if you were placed anywhere else you would not be happy. Then on top of that you're saying how happy you are where you're at. Reading this thread, I just see a lot of risks implied.

If only it was primary care.... they are in such high demand. I can't stand primary care though. I currently work in a neonatal ICU, and am absolutely in love with it. It doesn't feel like work at all. I even worked in mother/baby for a while, but well baby care just wasn't the same. Neonatal is absolutely my favorite, hands down.

Even just saying you can't stand primary care.. Maybe that came out in the interviews

I dont think there is any benefit in saying you are dead set on a very specific specialty (like NICU). Best case it's neutral, and works case it could hurt you as it makes you look closed minded regardless of your past experiences.

Why don't you broaden your options this round. For example, neonatal intensive care does require drs with various backgrounds and specialties such as pediatric cardiology, oncology, EM, pulmonology....you probably know better than me since you worked in this unit. Point is, use your experience in the NICU to open doors not close them.

How much experience do you have in other areas? Saying or appearing like you "can't stand primary care" might be a red flag to many schools considering that's where you'll end up if you can't get into any other residencies.