Did I just get scammed by the Air Force???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

are8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is crazy. I just signed my papers for the Air Force HPSP and I asked my recruiter when I get my first paycheck. He told me I do not get a stipend untill my second year. I was always told that the monthly stipend was one of the perks of HPSP, and NEVER was I told that I would not get it my first year. Doeas my recruiter not know what is going on and I do get a stipend my first year, or have I been just been scammed when they happened to mention I would not get pay my first year????

Is this some crappy arangment with just the Air Force?? I hope some people in the HPSP program can help me out here.......

Members don't see this ad.

are8 said:
This is crazy. I just signed my papers for the Air Force HPSP and I asked my recruiter when I get my first paycheck. He told me I do not get a stipend untill my second year. I was always told that the monthly stipend was one of the perks of HPSP, and NEVER was I told that I would not get it my first year. Doeas my recruiter not know what is going on and I do get a stipend my first year, or have I been just been scammed when they happened to mention I would not get pay my first year????

Is this some crappy arangment with just the Air Force?? I hope some people in the HPSP program can help me out here.......

Tell them that you have reconsidered and will not accept any pay from them if that is the case. You may need to get yourself a lawyer, but you should have no problem getting out of your contract with them.

You can always withdrew from the program as long as you pay them back the money that they spend on you, which is none at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, nope, nope. You cannot just withdraw from the class because you are willing to pay them back the money...that is in your contract...go read it. They may be willing to allow you out, because they havent spent any money on you, but probably not since the military is DYING for dentists right now. The Air Force only offers 2 and 3 year scholarships, as far as I know, so you will still have to pay for one year of dental school, which is usually the first, and that means no stipened as well. This is how it was when I applied, which is why I never applied to the Air Force.

Keep us posted!!!

PS I am year 3 of my Army HPSP payback.

are8 said:

I hate to say you might have just gotten scammed, but you might've just gotten scammed. Due diligence is absolutely critical when you're considering any offer from the military. Recruiters have quotas, and as long as he didn't make you explicit promises that are false (and even if he did, as long as you don't have documentation), in the end your name is on the contract and you're on the hook for whatever you just signed.

I hope this works out for you, but let it be a lesson in TINSTAAFL, especially when you're dealing with Uncle Sam.

are8 said:

Ok a little more detail:

The Air Force just srtated giving out 4 year HPSP last year, I am one of the first people to receieve a 4 year HPSP. They WILL pay for four years of tuition, and on the info sheet they gave me all it says is that I will "get a monthly stipend", and on that point my recruiter says I am not eligible for my first year, but they conveniently clarified that the "monthly stipend" will not be for my first year AFTER I signed.

Is ANYONE here in a four year HPSP in Navy or Army, and are they giving you a stipend the first year? (I wanna know if only the Air Force scams people thier first year of stipend)

Is ANYONE here on a FOUR YEAR AIR FORCE HPSP and are you getting a stipend on your first year? I am hoping that since it is new, the recruiter made a mistake with the info and that they do give a stipend your first year.....I dont know. But there should be one class year ahead of me that has gotten the four year and they could tell me if they are getting paid or not.....

many thanks.....

aphistis said:
...Due diligence is absolutely critical when you're considering any offer from the military. Recruiters have quotas, and as long as he didn't make you explicit promises that are false (and even if he did, as long as you don't have documentation), in the end your name is on the contract and you're on the hook for whatever you just signed.

I hope this works out for you, but let it be a lesson in TINSTAAFL, especially when you're dealing with Uncle Sam.

ha, this is so true :laugh:

i do not know of anyone with a 4 year air force, but i do know one with a 3-year and of course he will get his stipend next year. however, i have MANY friends in my class that are on the 4-year army scholarship (4 or 5 that i can think of in my class) and they ARE getting stipends and since our breaks are short, something to the effect that they are getting active duty training pay (even though they are not doing it now) at the end of september which is a lot more than their stipend. hope this helps and i hope you get everything figured out for the best. good luck.

are8 said:
Ok a little more detail:

The Air Force just srtated giving out 4 year HPSP last year, I am one of the first people to receieve a 4 year HPSP. They WILL pay for four years of tuition, and on the info sheet they gave me all it says is that I will "get a monthly stipend", and on that point my recruiter says I am not eligible for my first year, but they conveniently clarified that the "monthly stipend" will not be for my first year AFTER I signed.

Is ANYONE here in a four year HPSP in Navy or Army, and are they giving you a stipend the first year? (I wanna know if only the Air Force scams people thier first year of stipend)

Is ANYONE here on a FOUR YEAR AIR FORCE HPSP and are you getting a stipend on your first year? I am hoping that since it is new, the recruiter made a mistake with the info and that they do give a stipend your first year.....I dont know. But there should be one class year ahead of me that has gotten the four year and they could tell me if they are getting paid or not.....

many thanks.....

I am obviously of no help here, but I am guessing you signed a contract. Won't it be written on the contract?

m-dmd said:
Nope, nope, nope. You cannot just withdraw from the class because you are willing to pay them back the money...that is in your contract...go read it. They may be willing to allow you out, because they havent spent any money on you, but probably not since the military is DYING for dentists right now. The Air Force only offers 2 and 3 year scholarships, as far as I know, so you will still have to pay for one year of dental school, which is usually the first, and that means no stipened as well. This is how it was when I applied, which is why I never applied to the Air Force.

Keep us posted!!!

PS I am year 3 of my Army HPSP payback.

I am by no means a military expert, but I do know of a guy that got out of a cotract he was told he could not get out of by contacting a lawyer. Lawyers (I hate lawyers) are good at finding legal loopholes out of situations such as yours. Sometimes you just have to pay the man.

I am on a four year HPSP scholarship with the Air Force. I am currently in COT at Maxwell AFB. I have received my uniform allowance ($400) and since I am on active duty I will receive my first paycheck on the 15th. I will be paid for active duty for my remainder of time at Maxwell and then when I return home for my yearly tour. My stipend should start in August and I have no reason to believe otherwise. I would advise talking your contact in Denver, if you don't know who I mean then your paperwork probably has not gone through yet.

are8 said:
Is ANYONE here on a FOUR YEAR AIR FORCE HPSP and are you getting a stipend on your first year?

I am on the four year Air Force HPSP and am now finishing my first year of dental school. Every stipend payment has been perfectly on time. The book reimbursments can be a little slow, but they get here.

pretzeldude66 said:
I am on the four year Air Force HPSP and am now finishing my first year of dental school. Every stipend payment has been perfectly on time. The book reimbursments can be a little slow, but they get here.

Thank you everyone for your responses. This Thread is now thankfully at a conclusion. My recruiter was simply uniformed with the way that the new Air Force four year HPSP works. After confirming with people on this thread that he was wrong I asked him to re-check his facts and he found out he was wrong..... I will get a stipend all four years.

I guess this is one of the rare times that the military has actually underepresented their benefits :laugh: