Did I make a grave mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received interview invites a couple of days ago from NYMC and NYU. Since the only Monday interview NYMC had was on Dec. 4th, I opted for that (I'll only miss one day of work that way.). I also just rescheduled my NYU interview from Oct 16th to Dec. 1st (It's the friday before my NYMC interview so I can just stay in NYC for the weekend. NYMC apparently doesn't like to reschedule interviews.) Will delaying my interview for nearly two months drastically affect my chances of acceptance? I'm hoping to hear from a state school before then, but if I don't, I'm afraid I'll have ruined my chances at NYMC and NYU. Would anyone like to throw in their two cents here?

Members don't see this ad.

I only have one penny on me, and I have bad aim, but I'm going to try throwing it in, anyway. If I remember correctly, I delayed my NYU interview by two months and ended up getting waitlisted. Of course, there are many things about me that suck, so I don't blame the fact that I wasn't accepted entirely on the fact that I delayed my interview by two months. However, it's quite possible that schools might perceive you as being disinterested if you drastically delay your interview. After all, it is a well-known strategy to schedule interviews at your dream schools earlier than interviews at your less-liked schools, so that you don't have to spend money on traveling to interviews at less-liked schools if you get accepted by one of your dream schools early in the interview season. As long as you let NYU know in other ways that you're enthusiastic about them, it probably shouldn't matter, though.

Also, doesn't the NYU interview season end earlier than most schools'?

I received interview invites a couple of days ago from NYMC and NYU. Since the only Monday interview NYMC had was on Dec. 4th, I opted for that (I'll only miss one day of work that way.). I also just rescheduled my NYU interview from Oct 16th to Dec. 1st (It's the friday before my NYMC interview so I can just stay in NYC for the weekend. NYMC apparently doesn't like to reschedule interviews.) Will delaying my interview for nearly two months drastically affect my chances of acceptance? I'm hoping to hear from a state school before then, but if I don't, I'm afraid I'll have ruined my chances at NYMC and NYU. Would anyone like to throw in their two cents here?

I think it will make almost no difference. December isn't early, but if they interview until march, then you certainly aren't late. Personally, I don't buy the sentiment that interviewing earlier increases your chances of acceptance -- I think that has WAY more to do with the fact that people who submit AMCAS early and get early invites are more knowledgable and motivated, and are likely the most qualified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that has WAY more to do with the fact that people who submit AMCAS early and get early invites are more knowledgable and motivated, and are likely the most qualified.

:thumbup:
Causation vs. correlation is a difficult concept for many to understand.

I think it depands on their application pool and your credentials. If you are marginal, then you made a mistake, otherwise you are o.k.

Eh? I understand the concept of causation vs. correlation. I wasn't postulating a causation link between people receiving late invites and people not getting accepted. I was positing a causation link between people who receive early invites but who schedule late interviews anyway and people not getting accepted. But I concede that if such a causation link exists, it's probably a very very weak link, and the OP really shouldn't worry.

Last year NYU interviewed until mid-December (right before x-mas?) and sent off all decisions late jan- early feb. Unique style.

For what it's worth (probably not much...), when I applied to NYU a few years ago, I had kind of the same situation as the OP...my original interview date was in early October, but then I wanted to change it to mid-December. When I called to make the change, the nice lady on the phone was pretty explicit in telling me NOT to change and that my chances were better if I interviewed early. So I kept my October date and had my acceptance in hand before Christmas.

Just one guy's experience :)