May 30, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
hi all,

so i started my MD/PhD program this week, and I am panicking a little bit. I am not feeling connected to school yet with all of the corona zoom calls, and i am not sure I am going to love the memorization environment. I am worried that I made a huge mistake stepping away from research. I am not sure if I want to do residency anymore. I know I eventually want a family and freedom to move around.

I was so so so happy doing research, and although the labs are good in this program, I was working in one of the top programs in the country. I miss my lab and my community and haven't been able to make connections at all with the new school.

Should I apply to PhD programs this coming cycle? is this transition process normal? i was so excited about medicine a couple of months ago. I am freaking out a bit.

thanks for any help or advice.

athorcommens

Tired of the attitude
2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
This is normal. You're in a new place doing something different. Give it time. You've made connections before, you will do it again.

If you still feel this way in a year, then you can start second-guessing.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
hi all,

so i started my MD/PhD program this week, and I am panicking a little bit. I am not feeling connected to school yet with all of the corona zoom calls, and i am not sure I am going to love the memorization environment. I am worried that I made a huge mistake stepping away from research. I am not sure if I want to do residency anymore. I know I eventually want a family and freedom to move around.

I was so so so happy doing research, and although the labs are good in this program, I was working in one of the top programs in the country. I miss my lab and my community and haven't been able to make connections at all with the new school.

Should I apply to PhD programs this coming cycle? is this transition process normal? i was so excited about medicine a couple of months ago. I am freaking out a bit.

thanks for any help or advice.
All new endeavors are fraught with anxiety, especially in a hellish year like this one.

This shall pass, I promise.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads
May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
Status
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
You don't have to do residency if you don't want to. You will still be an MD-PhD. But give it some time; you may really enjoy clinical medicine too!

Reactions: 1 user

WrenchesToMD

2+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
Incoming MS1 here, so take this for what it's worth. While I am not an MD/PhD student, I've been feeling apprehensive, excited, anxious, nervous, and every other feeling in between since the realization I start medical school in 2 weeks begins to set in. From what I have been able to find on the interwebs is that these feelings are common and will pass. Keep your head up and give it time, and in 2 weeks remind me of this post when I am having similar thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads