Did I mess up my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grossmed198

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I work for a medical office checking in and out patients, scheduling surgical procedures/ appointments, make phone calls to patients, insurance companies etc. There was miscommunication about my job title and on my application under the work/activities section for my "experience type" I put medical office assistant. I was just informed that I am not a medical office assistant but I am a medical office secretary. I did not put anywhere in my application that I was certified or had a degree in Medical office assistant because I don't. Also in the job description for that work experience, I was very detailed about my duties and did not put I was hands-on with patients. I explicitly explained my role. I already submitted and found out my job title was wrong after I submitted. Will this affect me when schools look at my application? Should I not worry about it since I didn't say I was having any hands-on contact and I didn't say I was certified when I wasn't? Should I contact schools and let them know I made a mistake? I contacted AMCAS and they can't change it for me. HELP!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, I work for a medical office checking in and out patients, scheduling surgical procedures/ appointments, make phone calls to patients, insurance companies etc. There was miscommunication about my job title and on my application under the work/activities section for my "experience type" I put medical office assistant. I was just informed that I am not a medical office assistant but I am a medical office secretary. I did not put anywhere in my application that I was certified or had a degree in Medical office assistant because I don't. Also in the job description for that work experience, I was very detailed about my duties and did not put I was hands-on with patients. I explicitly explained my role. I already submitted and found out my job title was wrong after I submitted. Will this affect me when schools look at my application? Should I not worry about it since I didn't say I was having any hands-on contact and I didn't say I was certified when I wasn't? Should I contact schools and let them know I made a mistake? I contacted AMCAS and they can't change it for me. HELP!!!!
You're going be fine! If you're ever asked about it in the interview, you can easily clarify your mistake.

I would only worry if you wrote that you were a "medical assistant," a career that has a certification attached to it. There is no difference between a "medical office assistant" and a "medical office secretary." Assistant and secretary are used interchangeably when talking about the office setting. Don't worry about correcting this in secondaries or interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are allowed to make up your own title and use it to name the space. Clearly, you are assisting in an office. Your described your role faithfully. This will have zero impact on your application review. Now, be calm and move on. What you did is still a clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user

Request granted. Go drink a beer. This will have zero impact because nobody cares. I’m disappointed that you called AMCAS over this...go drink two beers and work on curbing the neuroticism.

Reactions: 1 user