Did I mess up my chances at MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Desensitized

Hey everyone,
Sorry for another one of these posts, but I am just scared... I will try and make this as short as possible, so thanks for taking the time to read this. Okay, here's my story.

Entering my first year in college, I was very depressed because I was having problems with my girlfriend at the time (soon to be fiancee). This continued for two college semesters and, I proposed to her in the middle of October. Proposing to her was a mistake because I knew that it wasn't going to work, but I did it anyway (stupid, I know). Anyways, fast forward a couple of months and it's January of 2011; I canceled the engagement the first week of January. I became very depressed and it was very difficult to do school work.

I ended up finishing my first semester in college with a 3.0 and my second semester with a 3.18. So, I ended up receiving a cGPA of 3.10 and a sGPA of 2.67 my first year in college... I am currently taking calculus, biology, history, and philosophy and I have a 4.0 this semester so far. I am also in 2 clubs and I tutor as well.

So with that said, can I still recover? Can I still make my dreams of becoming a MD? I've always wanted to help people; I would hate to know if my chances are ruined.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can. 4.0 for 3 more years means your gpa is a 3.78. You def don't need a 3.8 to become a md.

You just have less wiggle room for poor marks later on college. You will be fine with strong work the rest of your time, a solid mcat and building on your experiences

You identified the problem early and seem to have fixed it. Good luck

Hey everyone,
Sorry for another one of these posts, but I am just scared... I will try and make this as short as possible, so thanks for taking the time to read this. Okay, here's my story.

Entering my first year in college, I was very depressed because I was having problems with my girlfriend at the time (soon to be fiancee). This continued for two college semesters and, I proposed to her in the middle of October. Proposing to her was a mistake because I knew that it wasn't going to work, but I did it anyway (stupid, I know). Anyways, fast forward a couple of months and it's January of 2011; I canceled the engagement the first week of January. I became very depressed and it was very difficult to do school work.

I ended up finishing my first semester in college with a 3.0 and my second semester with a 3.18. So, I ended up receiving a cGPA of 3.10 and a sGPA of 2.67 my first year in college... I am currently taking calculus, biology, history, and philosophy and I have a 4.0 this semester so far. I am also in 2 clubs and I tutor as well.

So with that said, can I still recover? Can I still make my dreams of becoming a MD? I've always wanted to help people; I would hate to know if my chances are ruined.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

Yes you can still recover and you already know how to do so. My condolences for your rough situation, it seems like everyone is posting significant other heartbreak is hurting my chances at med school threads today

Members don't see this ad :)
There will be a chance to explain your bad grades once it comes to applying to medical school; I'm sure they will understand. If you're really over it (your problems), then just do well in school from now on. You have all the chances in the world.;)

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it. And thyKnight, I am over the breakup for the most part, but I do still occasionally think about her. However, I try not to let it interfere with my studies. Can't have a repeat of last year :).

Are you older, or did you propose when you were 19 years old?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it. Don't worry - certainly didn't ruin your chances. Keep doing well from now on, and you'll be all set.

Best of luck buddy!

I proposed when I was 19 (I know, I know).

Damn, you're either Mormon, Baptist, or Southern (or both of the last two).

Yeah, as long as you weren't accused or cheating or have any drug related offenses, the door to allopathic schools never closes. Good luck :luck:

Just work hard and forget whats happened in the past. People get in med schools with gpa of 3.3 too but that doesn't mean that you should aim for a 3.3. Try your hardest and spend lots of time building your application, see what it lacks and add to it. Don't give up before trying even if the odds are against you!

Damn, you're either Mormon, Baptist, or Southern (or both of the last two).
Hahahaha. I'm actually neither of those =P.
Yeah, as long as you weren't accused or cheating or have any drug related offenses, the door to allopathic schools never closes. Good luck
I also wasn't accused, cheated, or have had any drug related offenses.
Just work hard and forget whats happened in the past. People get in med schools with gpa of 3.3 too but that doesn't mean that you should aim for a 3.3. Try your hardest and spend lots of time building your application, see what it lacks and add to it. Don't give up before trying even if the odds are against you!
Thanks for this, I really needed this motivational boost! And I'm not shooting for a 3.3, my goal is to graduate with at least a 3.7. Difficult, not impossible. The ball is rolling and so far, it's rolling pretty well (with a 4.0 this semester and such). I just need to 4.0 my way through my next 3 years. I don't know how some of you guys did it with all the upper-level courses and all. Any tips would be greatly appreciated on how you guys went about combatting all the tougher courses. Thanks again!

Of course you can. 4.0 for 3 more years means your gpa is a 3.78. You def don't need a 3.8 to become a md.

You just have less wiggle room for poor marks later on college. You will be fine with strong work the rest of your time, a solid mcat and building on your experiences

You identified the problem early and seem to have fixed it. Good luck

I did this exact same thing. 3.14 end of freshman year to 3.76 by senior. Mcat round 1: 28. round 2: 33. Accepted to MD. Don't give up:thumbup:

You definitely still have a chance!! I'm a success story from that same vein, I got Cs in all the big classes: orgo, chem, and physics (AP'd out of bio), and ended college with a 3.3 cumGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. My advisor told me I would never get in medical school and that I should do research instead.

I took two years off to get an MPH, which I finish in May, but I have already received 12 interviews so far this cycle, I'm in one school, and I feel pretty positive about hearing back from others.

You might have to do some things to offset the GPA, but it's not a dealbreaker, here's my advice:
1.) OWN the MCAT. Study for it like it's the most important thing in the world. If you have sex, smell outside air, or eat anything other than delivery pizza or chinese for two months, you're doing it wrong.
2.) Apply early. And I mean July.
3.) Pour your soul into those damn essays and your PS. Rewrite it 10 times if you have to.
4.) Apply to LOTS of schools. I completed 45 secondaries and wish I'd done more.

The process is random enough there's no telling what will happen, whomever you are and whatever your scores. You got this, and don't ever let anybody tell you that you can't do it, because they don't know any better than you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely still have a chance!! I'm a success story from that same vein, I got Cs in all the big classes: orgo, chem, and physics (AP'd out of bio), and ended college with a 3.3 cumGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. My advisor told me I would never get in medical school and that I should do research instead.

I took two years off to get an MPH, which I finish in May, but I have already received 12 interviews so far this cycle, I'm in one school, and I feel pretty positive about hearing back from others.

You might have to do some things to offset the GPA, but it's not a dealbreaker, here's my advice:
1.) OWN the MCAT. Study for it like it's the most important thing in the world. If you have sex, smell outside air, or eat anything other than delivery pizza or chinese for two months, you're doing it wrong.
3.) Pour your soul into those damn essays and your PS. Rewrite it 10 times if you have to.
4.) Apply to LOTS of schools. I completed 45 secondaries and wish I'd done more.

The process is random enough there's no telling what will happen, whomever you are and whatever your scores. You got this, and don't ever let anybody tell you that you can't do it, because they don't know any better than you do.
This. Your story and words were both inspirational. =]

good stuff bro, in the same boat, good inspiration, we can all reach our goals....

OWN the MCAT. Study for it like it's the most important thing in the world. If you have sex, smell outside air, or eat anything other than delivery pizza or chinese for two months, you're doing it wrong.

:laugh:

why not DO or Carib?

lol. dont med schools you are still with her. if she made you that depressed it's going to happen again.

i wouldn't apply to any top 20 programs. they will take the littest thing on your application. they don't want 4.0 and 40 mcats, but they want stable people.

just do well, and apply to a lot of schools. i'd try to become a resident of another state (if you go to college in another state) if it has more med schools. and apply broadly. most schools will just be like whatever. some schools will think your stronger because of it. others will just think your unstable.

lol. dont med schools you are still with her. if she made you that depressed it's going to happen again.

i wouldn't apply to any top 20 programs. they will take the littest thing on your application. they don't want 4.0 and 40 mcats, but they want stable people.

just do well, and apply to a lot of schools. i'd try to become a resident of another state (if you go to college in another state) if it has more med schools. and apply broadly. most schools will just be like whatever. some schools will think your stronger because of it. others will just think your unstable.

I disagree. Three of my twelve interviews are with top 20 programs. There's just no telling. Apply to a mix and see what happens. I don't think anybody really has to apply to as many schools as I did, but apply to schools you like in addition to schools that you think you stand a good shot at.

And as for stability, my low college GPA comes up in every interview, but all the interviewers point out, even before I have a chance to, that my grades improved the last two years of school. They like to see that improvement, and when they ask in the interviews what your weaknesses are, you'll have something to say. Write about how you improved your grades on the "optional" secondary essays, and make it sound like a learning process, rather than a failure.

Congrats on the acceptance! However, I think it's wrong to suggest that someone should hole themselves up for months to study for the MCAT. Yes, it's hard work, but you don't want to burn out by not doing anything else or seeing your friends/SO.

Also, 45 schools?! That's a bit outrageous. Props if you managed to write that many secondaries, but I think it would be more cost- and energy-efficient to narrow down the list to 20-25 schools MAXIMUM. Don't apply places that have a really low OOS acceptance rate or that you have a low chance of getting in (with the exception of maybe a few reach schools that really interest you).

OP, good luck!

Last edited:
Congrats on the acceptance! However, I think it's wrong to suggest that someone should hole themselves up for months to study for the MCAT. Yes, it's hard work, but you don't want to burn out by not doing anything else or seeing your friends/SO.

Also, 45 schools?! That's a bit outrageous. Props if you managed to write that many secondaries, but I think it would be more cost- and energy-efficient to narrow down the list to 20-25 schools MAXIMUM. Don't apply places that have a really low OOS acceptance rate or that you have a low chance of getting in (with the exception of maybe a few reach schools that really interest you).

OP, good luck!

I completely agree with your post :thumbup:.

OP, you're not going to survive the MCAt study process if you don't have some fun during those 3 or 4 months. Apply to 25-30 schools. Choose your school list wisely.

Sorry guys,
I guess I forgot to read all of these posts that were posted! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, I appreciate it! That being said, I am still pursuing my goal at MD. I still have my 4.0! And my cGPA should be bumped up to around 3.5, so I am happy about that. I am still doing research on epilepsy and alzheimer's disease, and it is a lot of fun! I am working with 3 senior students all who have their eyes set on some sort of medical field, which is cool because they are advising me on how to go about getting into med school.

I also got into a program called Minnesota's Future Docs, which is awesome! They have been helping me with shadowing and volunteering opportunities, along with planning out my 2 and a half years left as an undergrad. I applied for some summer programs too, so I'm hoping I get in! If I could ask for some advice because I am taking biology, calc II, and organic chem, + 2 gen eds next semester - is it possible to obtain a 4.0 taking those classes? I'm really anxious for next semester and I don't want to be, I want to be confident. The semesters after next semester will all look the same. A hectic schedule, but I guess this is something I need to get used to.
I guess it sucks not being confident about my own abilities.

Thanks guys.

Hey! I'm currently a 3rd year and I was in the same position as you freshman year, except I ended it with a slightly lower GPA of 3.0. After lurking SDN for a while, I got really motivated and started getting mostly A's 2nd year, and ended up with a 3.53 so far. It's still below average GPA considering we are premeds, and I don't know how 3rd year will turn out, but I also hope to reach ~3.7. Let's do this together!

P.S. with the heartbreak, use the pain to motivate yourself! it really does help

Hey! I'm currently a 3rd year and I was in the same position as you freshman year, except I ended it with a slightly lower GPA of 3.0. After lurking SDN for a while, I got really motivated and started getting mostly A's 2nd year, and ended up with a 3.53 so far. It's still below average GPA considering we are premeds, and I don't know how 3rd year will turn out, but I also hope to reach ~3.7. Let's do this together!

P.S. with the heartbreak, use the pain to motivate yourself! it really does help

DiamondBar,
Keep it going! Fight hard for that 3.7 and remind yourself that you won't be fighting forever. But yes, let's do this together! And also, I do use the heartbreak to motivate myself to do the best I can. I do find that it works very well to get myself to get something done.