Did I miss something important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hemoglobincell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a related question: How obligated do you think we are to take the classes that we listed on the AMCAS for this year?

I put genetics on my AMCAS application for next spring, but now I see that it conflicts with another class that I need to graduate. I also recently found out that another class I've already taken can fulfill the graduation requirement that I was going to fill with genetics. Are med schools going to have heartburn if I drop it?
Is this for real? Did we really need to put our next years classes on the AMCAS (even ones we haven't been graded for)? I feel very foolish if this is true.

I am taking biochem, p-chem, cell bio, genetics lab, and o-chem lab this semester. I am taking molecular bio, physio chem, and biochem lab next semester.

I listed NONE of that on my AMCAS. I thought they were only concerned with classes we had ALREADY taken. Is is possible that medical schools believe that the classes I listed on the AMCAS are the ONLY classes I will have under my belt before medical school?

Finally, if I really did screw up by not including these classes, what exactly can I do about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you heard from schools? It is suggested you put future coursework on your application. If you don't have all requisites filled this is a way to show you will be taking them by matriculation.

Have you heard from schools? It is suggested you put future coursework on your application. If you don't have all requisites filled this is a way to show you will be taking them by matriculation.
Wow. I don't even remember there being a field for that. I have gotten a few interviews, but no acceptances. I am very nervous that not including those classes on my AMCAS (especially biochemistry!) may be negatively impacting my application.

Is it too late to go back and update it? Will schools get the update? Should I update schools myself?

Members don't see this ad :)
I logged into AMCAS and cannot edit my coursework due to verification being completed. I would start calling and e-mailing schools. You should get this semester's grades soon. Include those as well for an update.

You can try calling the AAMC and see if there is anything you can do but I don't think there will be.

I listed NONE of that on my AMCAS. I thought they were only concerned with classes we had ALREADY taken. Is is possible that medical schools believe that the classes I listed on the AMCAS are the ONLY classes I will have under my belt before medical school?
I would imagine that you would get the benifit of the doubt, but to be on the safe side you could update them. All you have to do is send a list of the classes you're taking or will be taking.

I didn't list it on AMCAS- I did on the Texas Application because it was specific.

Most secondaries had a space to fill out pre-reqs and list if you hadn't completed them before.

i did not put ANY next semester classes on the AMCAS. had no idea i had to... and im ok :) i think you will be too

This won't hamper you, IMO.

:thumbup: You're supposed to list it, yes, but you're not bound by it. So long as you complete your degree and all pre-reqs before matriculation, schools will be pretty chill about it.

As someone else said, it'll make good fodder for an update letter/interview chat. Good luck.

Yeah - I didn't include future coursework on my AMCAS. I only included it on secondary applications where it was requested. Not sure of the implications.