Did I overestimate my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

word

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have pretty much given up on any more interviews because I have not gotten one since mid Sept. If this is the case i will have a lot of rejections on the way. Anyways my ?, is did I overestimate my application and should I have applied to lesser schools?
My stats are: 3.8 in neuroscience from Tulane, 35 M MCAT, 3 years of research with a publication, volunteered at a OR and clinic over the summers, good but nothing spectacular with recs, essay, and extracurriculars
Schools interviewed:
UT houston, Southwestern, Galveston, A&M, Baylor, Columbia
Rejected without interview:
Stanford
U of Chicago
Waiting in vain:
Yale, Cornell, Hopkins, N'western, Wash U, Penn

Why can't I get interviews here?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, the Texas schools aren't AMCAS and I'm out of state, so I know very little about them, but the others...seem quite competitive. Where's Finch, Albany, NYMC and the like? The goal is to have an acceptance somewhere, not a lot of rejections/interviews for ultra-competitive schools. An applicant should never let themselves be lulled into a false sense of security by their own numbers/activities. There are a great deal of elements in this process that a person just can't control. That's why it's important not to neccessarily apply to a lot of schools, but to apply to schools with widely varying acceptance stats.

You should be happy with the opportunities you have been given. You have great stats!! I had a friend with good stats (probably not as good as yours) that only got one interview one year and no acceptances, he was even a URM. He had to reapply and now he is a MS2.

Stay positive. You are a great candidate. I am so disappointed to read so many posts from people that have great stats acting like "what's wrong with me?" Don't give up and don't complain!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I understand your plight... Your stats are in fact very good... Don't worry about Stanford or any of the schools in California, they are arrogant sons of bs.... I was offered five interviews so far, but I also have not heard from U Penn, Wash U, Northwestern, and I was rejected without interview by UCSF and Stanford. I think news will arrive once the holiday season is over. I abhor Stanford the most since it rejected me for undergrad, for grad, and now for med school! I will dedicate my life to the destruction of Stanford (i.e. by supporting Berkeley).

I'm surpised that you aren't having any luck, but at least you have some interviews!

And I'm surprised you didn't apply to Tulane (where I go), being an undergrad from there. They take a whole lot of Tulane undergrads.

Just keep hoping, and write some letters to the schools who you are waiting on.

Good luck,

Simul

I think with your stats you have a good chance to be accepted at one or more of the schools you applied to--it may take a while to hear the good news though, so be patient. If you do have to re-apply (and I don't really think you will) I think you should apply to a better mix of schools (ie apply to some of the lower and mid-ranked schools as well as the schools you applied to, also apply to schools you may have connections at, like your undergrad). BTW what state are you claiming in residency in?Texas?

I am sure you have heard this before, but BE PATIENT!!! I spoke with Johns Hopkins today. They have not even processed all their applications. Also, many schools are off for the Holidays. Interviews are going to happend for quite awhile yet. Hang in there!!
Rob

don't despair. this year you will hear from medical schools later because of the AMCAS thing. also, i interviewed at stanford and loved it. i think they look beyond numbers (no offense). and schools lik hopkins and stanford and harvard are very very backlogged. i heard so from others and at my interviews. it is troubling that you only applied to 14 schools and not any that were mid or low range. like everyone said...you definitely need a few safety schools to apply to. you never know because some schools might recognize your strenghs while other schools might miss them. it is a waiting game so hang in there. if you haven't gotten an interview or are waiting post interview, maybe you should write an update letter or a "i love your school" letter to your favorite school to maybe keep them thinking about you. but it is a waiting game.

you applied to UTMB? If you want any info on it I can tell you...I started a PhD there in Fall 2000, but gave it up so I could go to medical school. I have friends there in med school and I know quite a bit of the faculty and facilities, particularly in the pathology department where I studied and did BSL-3 work. That goes for anyone on here who wants info on UTMB!

Great stats...I think you should simmer down. Look, everybody knows this process is largly a game of luck. Even with great stats you cant expect interviews at every school. I think you are doing great, be happy with what you have.

I am not alone in saying that those stats are awesome!! Don't even worry- I am not a pro, but those numbers are too good to be passed up by all the med schools on the list. Good job with undergrad-you set yourself up nicely.

Biffer

Don't worry. It's still relatively early in the game. You have great stats, just keep your chin up and do well at your interviews. Good luck.

OK, as someone who had to apply twice and got in in mid-July off the waitlist, I have to say you should find something else to worry about for the moment. Sorry to be blunt, but your situation is VERY far from dire. I got 7 interviews and received 3 of those invitations in January and February (April MCATer nonetheless). My stats were crappy compared to yours. The TX schools don't make any decisions until January, I think, so you should hear from them soon, probably get an acceptance from at least 1 with your stats. If you are really interested in the other schools that you haven't heard from, I'd suggest writing a letter of interest to each one and maybe calling in some cases.
Originally posted by chandralevy:
•Hey guys I have pretty much given up on any more interviews because I have not gotten one since mid Sept. If this is the case i will have a lot of rejections on the way. Anyways my ?, is did I overestimate my application and should I have applied to lesser schools?
My stats are: 3.8 in neuroscience from Tulane, 35 M MCAT, 3 years of research with a publication, volunteered at a OR and clinic over the summers, good but nothing spectacular with recs, essay, and extracurriculars
Schools interviewed:
UT houston, Southwestern, Galveston, A&M, Baylor, Columbia
Rejected without interview:
Stanford
U of Chicago
Waiting in vain:
Yale, Cornell, Hopkins, N'western, Wash U, Penn

Why can't I get interviews here?•••

Members don't see this ad :)
ChandraLevy,

Maybe it is just that all the AdComs out there support Gary Condit. By the way, why don't you just tell us where you are and get this whole thing over with?

Epi - I'm guessing you are from the Bay Area also... Too much drama with Condit - I can't believe he's running again...

It seems like Chandra is in New Orleans -- who's going to notify the FBI?

U chicago and Stanford are funny about their admissions, I think they like applicants that are out of the ordinary (ie strange ecs, different majors). I don't know too much about the admission cycle this year, but if I remember correctly, Yale and Cornell are not rolling, and the year that I applied, I applied a bit late and didn't hear from Yale or Cornell until December, I imagine that they might be a little later this year with that AMCAS mess. I think you have a good mix of schools, just as long as you applied to your state school(s), you should be fine. I was getting nervous around this time too when I applied, my first acceptance wasn't until February, it's a natural part of the application experience. In retrospect though, I kind of wish that I had applied to more places as I suspect you will have wished that you applied to more places too, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Originally posted by Joseph Reses:
•you applied to UTMB? If you want any info on it I can tell you... That goes for anyone on here who wants info on UTMB!•••

I'd love to hear anything you are willing to share!

First off thanks for the encouragement from everyone. I am thankful for what I've got, but I just wanted to make sure I did not make a huge error with my school choices.
I chose the schools based on tuition, location, and prestige. I still feel good about my chances in state (TX), which is good for price (6K/yr) and location. Therefore I would only pass up an acceptance at one of these schools if I got into one of the other top schools I applied to. All of this sounded good in theory when I was picking schools, but now that i have graduated (Dec), it kind of sucks waiting.
I thought I would get a nibble from U of C b/c of my research but no. It seems the whole damn process has little rhyme or reason.
Someone suggested sending a letter of intent to schools you have yet to interview at. what exactly do you write or say on the phone?
Thanks 4 the feedback and good luck

First off thanks for the encouragement from everyone. I am thankful for what I've got, but I just wanted to make sure I did not make a huge error with my school choices.
I chose the schools based on tuition, location, and prestige. I still feel good about my chances in state (TX), which is good for price (6K/yr) and location. Therefore I would only pass up an acceptance at one of these schools if I got into one of the other top schools I applied to. All of this sounded good in theory when I was picking schools, but now that i have graduated (Dec), it kind of sucks waiting.
I thought I would get a nibble from U of C b/c of my research but no. It seems the whole damn process has little rhyme or reason.
Someone suggested sending a letter of intent to schools you have yet to interview at. what exactly do you write or say on the phone?
Thanks 4 the feedback and good luck

Question:

DID Stanford give secondaries to everyone or were you rejected before a secondary? or after a secondary?

just curious

LilMiss, Stanford does not send secondaries to all, they are still screening this year.

with all due respect, I find your choice for a name to be very detestable, given the fact that the she might be deceased, have some decency for the dead please!

you could have chosen any name, but you have to chose that one!

I agree,
although i wouldn't have put in the energy to reprimand you, ms. levy, I also thought it was a bit tasteless. it's weird that you're asking for companionship through your hard times(which i am happy to help provide), but at the same time your name is a bit offensive and politically incorrect. no biggie though, I love twisted humor.
I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, but I think with your numbers you'd be VERY unlucky to be kept out this year. the probability that a school will pass up stats like yours is slim...the probability that all the schools you applied to will do it is even smaller. and although you are probably aiming for Ivy leagues, if you don't get into one, don't sweat it. school's what you make of it. it's just a building and some structured education. the knowledge you amass is the only important thing and no school puts in in your brain any easier than another, and no school takes away from your chances to amass that same amount of knowledge. your potential's all that matters, so go get'em tiger. you all pepped up?? GREAT!! see you at Meharry.

-Anthony

ms levy,

talked to my advisor (at uchicago) yesterday about pritzker. I got the big old no as well as my friend. My advisor said that this year they have seen the most outstanding applicant group ever. I was pondering why a 3.8 35 research wouldn't get an interview, but just maybe the others are superhuman :) .

hope that makes you feel a bit better... :rolleyes:

Damn, you guys need to lighten up a bit. I mean its not like I am bad mouthing the girl. I picked the name cuz I saw someone named J Hoffa and I thought that was funny. No one flamed that guy. So how long does the person have to be missing till it is PC to use his name? Its dark humor. I don't mind changing it if someone knows how. Secondly I don't need your damn companionship(Watcha), I was only looking for advice from others in similar situations and I appreciate all that replied.