Did I overshoot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuggerMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my school list. I think I may have overshot (too many top tier schools) and am wondering if I should add more lower tier schools to my list. Since it is mid Sept, I'm also worried about how late I would be applying to additional schools...
@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM If you have an input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Stats: 3.6 gpa, 3.5 sgpa (strong upward trend), 36 MCAT
Majors: Chemistry and Bioengineering
ECs: 6 years of research + current employment as a research scientist, D1 college athlete, teaching assistant, student rep for college, 80+ shadowing hours, educational outreach to public schools, many volunteering hours

List:
University of Chicago---------------------------- rejected
Washington University
Dartmouth
Carver College of Medicine: Iowa-------------interview
University of Washington (in-state resident)
Duke
Mayo
Tufts
Baylor
Boston U
Case Western
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Mount Sinai
U Penn
Stanford
Stony Brook
Ohio State------------------------------------------interview
UCSD
U Colorado
U Michigan
U Pitt------------------------------------------------interview
Yale

I'm nervous because if schools have a ~25% acceptance rate from interviews, my chances of getting accepted to medical school are ~60% as of now. That isn't much better than a coin flip. Help?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

The fact you already have 3 interviews when schools have many more to hand out should answer your question for you. If you can interview fairly well you'll be fine. And most schools I know of definitely accept more than 25% of the people the interview(as an ex I know for a fact Pitt takes about half the people they interview).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have 3 interviews scheduled, 2 of which are with very exclusive programs. Deep breath.

I don't like your list because of the OOS schools with an IS bias and the schools where you're below the tenth percentile for GPA at.

However, I don't know if you really overshot.

If I were giving you advice before the app cycle started, I would say that your list is a bit top heavy, but given the fact that you have 3 solid interview invites already, I think you'll do fine. Stop worrying about your list and concentrate on your interviews.