Did I ruin my chances for Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bradj89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, my first semester of college I didn't give a ****. I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do in life. My first semester of college, I failed 2 classes. Biology and psychology. My second semester (I put my head on straight and got a 3.8 GPA (but didn't retake bio or psych yet). My 3rd semester I was retaking bio and psych with a few other classes and had a family emergency (mother passed away) so I left school mid-semester and failed all my classes (Like I said, I really didn't know what I wanted to do and didn't care about my grades) So now, I've failed bio and psych 2 TIMES! I've since joined the military and got my act together and I'm taking my life a lot more seriously. I retook the ACT and got a 33 (I actually tried this time)
My question is, if I take bio and psych now (at a different university by where I'm stationed) and get A's, will my F's still show in my transcript? Also assume I will graduate with a 3.7+ GPA and have A's in all pre-med classes.
I have seriously been considering Medical school. Will they see that I failed Bio 2 times? I'm assuming this would kill any chance of getting accepted into Med school... do I have any chance? Thanks for your time!
-Brad

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just retake the classes X3 and do grade replacement for AACOMAS.

I like that you take ownership of your actions and are you are willing to take feedback. I think that will bode well for you, and you need to rock your grades from here on out. I think things will work out ok (and no, I don't say that to everyone!).

Good luck

They will see it. But with some explaining, you should still be able to get in if you do as well as you predict. I think you might need a better than average MCAT score to really get the attention of some MD schools, but if you can manage that, they will invest enough of their time to look at your explanation for some of the earlier follies suffered earlier in your academic career.

I would also try and call the registrar of your old university. If you had one of your parents pass away, you should be able to go through some appeal process to get those Fs from that semester changed to Incompletes (or some other such notation). I would contact them to get the process for this going but don't be surprised if it is difficult to do or if they reject your appeal (some of these "committees" that deal with grade changes may not adjudicate things fairly..)

But the bottomline is that if you do really good from here on out you will still have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the responses. It is good to know that some stupid mistakes from being on the wrong path won't necessarily put a stop to a career in medicine! Thanks again!

If you had one of your parents pass away, you should be able to go through some appeal process to get those Fs from that semester changed to Incompletes (or some other such notation).

Completely agreed. I know that's definitely possible at my school. in fact, you can even get your grades changed from the PREVIOUS semester, and then they give you all Ws from the semester you had to leave. its called a hardship withdrawal here.

not sure if you can do it after the fact though. i would give it a try.