Did I ruin my interview to my dream school? (Phone rang on vibrate, TWICE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KendallJennerSniperLady69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cell phone from work. The problem is that I thought I had silenced it, but really it was just on vibrate. I left somewhere my closet of my room because I knew I wasn't going to be needing it today and wanted to put it somewhere where it wouldn't distract me, and it started ringing during my interview while I was giving a response.

I didn't want to leave my laptop or pick my laptop up to rummage through my closet and shut it off because I thought that would be unprofessional, but at the same time it was ringing... so I apologized.

For some damn reason, it had to ring AGAIN. Both calls were from spam robo-callers...

Did I just ruin my chances at this school? :( I just feel so sad because I purposely left it away from me so I wouldn't be distracted by any sort of communication that would be coming through, but even though I silenced it, I didn't realize it would vibrate and be so loud, and it was in the closet where it might take me an awkward amount of time to find and shut off...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nothing you can do now. Just be sure to turn it off for any future interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a cell phone from work. The problem is that I thought I had silenced it, but really it was just on vibrate. I left somewhere my closet of my room because I knew I wasn't going to be needing it today and wanted to put it somewhere where it wouldn't distract me, and it started ringing during my interview while I was giving a response.

I didn't want to leave my laptop or pick my laptop up to rummage through my closet and shut it off because I thought that would be unprofessional, but at the same time it was ringing... so I apologized.

For some damn reason, it had to ring AGAIN. Both calls were from spam robo-callers...

Did I just ruin my chances at this school? :( I just feel so sad because I purposely left it away from me so I wouldn't be distracted by any sort of communication that would be coming through, but even though I silenced it, I didn't realize it would vibrate and be so loud, and it was in the closet where it might take me an awkward amount of time to find and shut off...
It's also possible that while you heard it vibrate, your interviewer did not

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My phone buzzed in my pocket in an in-person med school interview a couple years ago. I still got accepted. I honestly don’t know if they even noticed because I didn’t look away from them and silenced it in my pocket. If you left it in the closet they probably didn’t notice, and if they did, the fact that you ignored it is the right response to that.

No way to know for sure, so don’t dwell. But you’re probably fine.

Reactions: 4 users
I have seen/heard dogs barking, kids crying, street work in the back ground, and a phone go off all during interviews, meet & greets, or info sessions. Pretty sure they would be understanding of any background noise that may happen out of the blue. Also, the odds of your mic picking up the phone vibration all the way in the closet are extremely low.

If you want some peace of mind, might as well place the phone where you had it during the interview and do a zoom call with a friend and ask them if they can hear it.

Reactions: 2 users
Dont lose sleep over this. Interviewers and ADCOMs are sympathetic people who have been in this situation before themselves.

If this is what determines whether you were going to be accepted or not, then you weren't going to be accepted anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you ever conducted a truly professional interview? If not, I can assure you that if I were interviewing a candidate and his or her cell phone went off, it would certainly not ruin my impression of him or her. Personally, it wouldn't really affect my impression of the candidate. But that is just me.

I think you're fine. I doubt the interviewer even heard.

This year is particularly challenging due to virtual stuff. You hear people on streets, other members of the household/apartment, pets etc. Everyone needs to be a bit more understanding this year.

Relax, you’re fine.

Imagine if you were the interviewer: how would you feel? I hope you probably wouldn’t care that much but even if you would, rest assured the majority of people would be willing to let it slide. Your interviewers are human. They expect you to be professional, not perfect.