MD Did I screw myself out of attending Med School outside of Indiana?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpanishMusical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post -- please let me know if I should move!

Hi everyone -- I chose my local state school (Indiana University) for undergrad over other, more prestigious schools due to getting a full ride at IU (figured I should save the debt for med school). I also have a wide range of opportunities here: schizophrenia research in humans and animal models starting summer before freshman year, volunteering in the nearby Bloomington hospital, volunteering as medical translator in a nearby free clinic, and an EMT training and certification class (which, once completed, will allow me to take patient histories and vitals and maybe perform blood tests at this clinic). I am a white male (technically Hispanic, since I'm a fourth Spanish and speak the language).

I'd like to end up on the East Coast at some point, but I've noticed that BU and Tufts med accept mostly undergrads from New England. Am I pretty much screwed applying to these places for med school, or do I have a shot given I do reasonably well with my GPA and MCAT and take advantage of the opportunities I discussed above? Will the somewhat lower prestige of IU hinder my med school application in any meaningful way?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone -- I chose my local state school (Indiana University) for undergrad over other, more prestigious schools due to getting a full ride at IU (figured I should save the debt for med school). I also have a wide range of opportunities here: schizophrenia research in humans and animal models starting summer before freshman year, volunteering in the nearby Bloomington hospital, volunteering as medical translator in a nearby free clinic, and an EMT training and certification class (which, once completed, will allow me to take patient histories and vitals and maybe perform blood tests at this clinic). I am a white male (technically Hispanic, since I'm a fourth Spanish and speak the language).

I'd like to end up on the East Coast at some point, but I've noticed that BU and Tufts med accept mostly undergrads from New England. Am I pretty much screwed applying to these places for med school, or do I have a shot given I do reasonably well with my GPA and MCAT and take advantage of the opportunities I discussed above? Will the somewhat lower prestige of IU hinder my med school application in any meaningful way?
If you do well you can get in anywhere and you'll have saved yourself and/or your family thousands of dollars by choosing a full ride. BU and Tufts are certainly not the only med schools on the East Coast and being from outside of NE is not a barrier to attending them.

No. Next question.

Reactions: 1 users