Did I screw myself over with this school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitlistedAppRIP

Reaction score
Hi SDN! I applied to 50+ schools in this cycle. My GPA/sGPA are 3.70/3.75. My MCATs were 507 (129/124/126/128) and a 511 (128/126/131/126). My ECs are pretty decent, but nothing crazy. I sent my secondaries in pretty much right when I got them since I wrote all of them beforehand. Yeah some of the schools were kinda stupid to add (NYU, Kaiser, UVA, Northwestern. Case Western) but those were my Hail Mary schools. So far I have gotten rejections from Dartmouth, Indiana, NYU, UCI, USC, Western Michigan, and Minnesota. I have gotten holds/waitlist for interviews from Maryland, UCSD,VCU, WVU and Tulane. To give some context, I am a SoCal Asian male who is privileged. Should I start thinking about adding D.O. schools?

Cincinnati
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Dartmouth
Einstein
EVMS
Hofstra
Indiana,
NYU *
Kaiser *
Maryland
MC Wisconsin,
Miami
Northwestern
Oakland
Ohio State
Quinnipiac
Rochester
SLU
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
Toledo
Michigan
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA
UCONN
UCR
UCSD
UNC
USC
USF-Morsani
UVA
VCU
Vermont
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Western MI
Wisconsin
WVU,
University of Central Florida College of Medicine
CWU
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Tulane
University of Minnesota School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Emory University School of Medicine
Temple
NYMC
George Washington
Drexel

Members don't see this ad.

No I think your school list has a nice smattering of competitiveness. Based on your stats you're a coinflip to get an acceptance. Median number of interviews attended by matriculants was 3. Given that only 40% of applicants matriculate, the average number of interview invites for all applicants is most likely 1.x. All of that is to say your application experience thus far is par for the course. Welcome to the circus.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t want to burst your bubble but WVU, UCSD and Tulane are probably not going to grant you an interview. UCSD is ultra competitive and Tulane has pretty much given out all their interview slots. WVU is a state school that has in state preference. Your gpa is solid but your mcat is the problem. If you don’t have any interviews by thanksgiving and don’t mind going DO, you should definitely add them now.

Yes, apply to DO schools this month and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CCOM
PCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)