Rishikish

5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2013
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi all! Kind of long, but really need advice! I met with my prof that I wanted a letter of recommendation from her. She said ok, just send in your documents and she'll take care of it (this was at the end of the May, so summer break had just started). She asked me when I needed the LOR, I told her in September (applying in 2016), she said cool. So it's September now and I emailed her the Friday before the long weekend; the email includes asking her saying when can we meet up and discuss the LOR and she hasn't responded yet .

Here's the screwup: I just saw she sent me an email back in July saying she was going to write it in August (earlier than I told her) and wanted me to resend her the docs if I could. I sent her an email and apologized for not seeing her email (studying for the MCAT and all) and she hasn't responded yet. Am I screwed from getting a LOR from her? I didn't check my email regularly since I was studying for this beast.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I think you should be more worried about getting the letter in than whose fault it was. You need to get this in as soon as possible.

But if you really want to know, this is on you. First of all you really needed to ask her for the letter earlier than September. After that, it's on you to stay in touch with your letter writers, not just make one request and then forget about it. Even if she hadn't e-mailed you, it would still be on you because it is your responsibility to make sure this gets done. If you're constantly reminding them and they still don't do it that's a different situation, but honestly you dropped the ball on this.

Reactions: trev5150
OP
Rishikish

Rishikish

5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2013
I think you should be more worried about getting the letter in than whose fault it was. You need to get this in as soon as possible.

But if you really want to know, this is on you. First of all you really needed to ask her for the letter earlier than September. After that, it's on you to stay in touch with your letter writers, not just make one request and then forget about it. Even if she hadn't e-mailed you, it would still be on you because it is your responsibility to make sure this gets done. If you're constantly reminding them and they still don't do it that's a different situation, but honestly you dropped the ball on this.
Oh no, I am applying in June 2016. Still have 10 months left, so there's no rush. That's why I told her September so she would have all summer.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Oh no, I am applying in June 2016. Still have 10 months left, so there's no rush.
Oh... what? I'm so confused now, are you not even talking about a med school LOR? Why would you be asking for one so early? If you're applying next cycle then why on earth would you be screwed? Are you asking if this would have made such a horrible impression on her they she'd no longer give you a good LOR? I seriously doubt that would be the case.

OP
Rishikish

Rishikish

5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2013
Oh... what? I'm so confused now, are you not even talking about a med school LOR? Why would you be asking for one so early? If you're applying next cycle then why on earth would you be screwed? Are you asking if this would have made such a horrible impression on her they she'd no longer give you a good LOR? I seriously doubt that would be the case.
It is a med school LOR, but I have to get them sent to my premed committee ASAP so I can get an interview and have their materials ready. As for what you said about the impression this makes, this is kinda what I am also worried about: "oh, he can't even respond to an email on time..." showing up in their somewhere.

Maybe I am overreacting with less than 3 hours of sleep. Idk, as I type this out it does sound neurotic.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It is a med school LOR, but I have to get them sent to my premed committee ASAP so I can get an interview and have their materials ready. As for what you said about the impression this makes, this is kinda what I am also worried about: "oh, he can't even respond to an email on time..." showing up in their somewhere.

Maybe I am overreacting with less than 3 hours of sleep. Idk, as I type this out it does sound neurotic.
I think you're good :)

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
I initially read this as "Did I screw my prof?" lol

Yeah, you screwed up. This is an important lesson for life- whenever you're dealing with something important, follow up early and often. No one in this world is looking out for you but you 99% of the time, so you need to take care of yourself and make sure things get done.

OP
Rishikish

Rishikish

5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2013
Update: She said she was busy with classes and has written the LOR and wants me to go drop it off at the OAA this afternoon and forward her the confirmation email. Guess I was freaking out over nothing!

Okazaki Frag Grenade

Long Live SnugSeal
2+ Year Member
May 1, 2015
So you're applying in June 2016 for the entering class of 2017? If so then yes you're in good shape

moisne

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
You usually want your LOR to be dated that year...

I think she's just busy. Just drop by and waive her down.