Did I screw up the essay section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmkc109

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished the PCAT today. My composite score is 93, which I think is satisfactory. HOWEVER, I am very worried about the essay section as I did not have enough time to analyze the second solution. And so I basically only explained one solution and "stated" the second solution for the problem. I spent my time raising arguments and explain why those arguments are not valid. As a result, I really only have 3 paragraphs - intro , body and conclusion.

I think I explained everything well other than lacking of a second solution. Upon looking the PCAT scoring guide, it seems like I can still score 4 or below on the essay section. It's just when I am looking around at the forum, everyone is saying you need to have 3 body paragraphs and 2 or 3 solutions.

How likely will I get a 2 for the essay section? I need a score of 3 in order to be considered for pharmacy admission :( Thanks everyone for reading it.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt the interview committee even looks at essay score if you can verbally communicate. Plus, with that composite, you have nothing to worry about. Heck, people are getting in with a 60 composite these days.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I just finished the PCAT today. My composite score is 93, which I think is satisfactory. HOWEVER, I am very worried about the essay section as I did not have enough time to analyze the second solution. And so I basically only explained one solution and "stated" the second solution for the problem. I spent my time raising arguments and explain why those arguments are not valid. As a result, I really only have 3 paragraphs - intro , body and conclusion.

I think I explained everything well other than lacking of a second solution. Upon looking the PCAT scoring guide, it seems like I can still score 4 or below on the essay section. It's just when I am looking around at the forum, everyone is saying you need to have 3 body paragraphs and 2 or 3 solutions.

How likely will I get a 2 for the essay section? I need a score of 3 in order to be considered for pharmacy admission :( Thanks everyone for reading it.

You likely will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt the interview committee even looks at essay score if you can verbally communicate. Plus, with that composite, you have nothing to worry about. Heck, people are getting in with a 60 composite these

That depends on the school. Some have minimum requirements for each section (including writing), and if you score less than that they throw out your application.

I doubt the interview committee even looks at essay score if you can verbally communicate. Plus, with that composite, you have nothing to worry about. Heck, people are getting in with a 60 composite these days.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

The university I am applying to actually has a minimum score requirement of 3.

Update to everyone:
I just want to post an update about the essay mark just if any future test takers have similar concerns.
For the essay section, I only have 3 paragraphs (one intro, one body and one conclusion). I raised an counter example and explained why that is not really a problem. However, I only had time to mention an alternative solution without any explanation to it
I ended up with a 3 on the essay component. The mean score is at 3.09.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad you got the required mark! Good luck on your application! :clap: