Did I set a record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewUser2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick summary: top school, AOA/250+ steps, honors in everything, matched #15/16 in general surgery. was told by everyone that I'd have no problem matching somewhere in my top 3. was told I shouldn't even INTERVIEW at more than 12, but I threw in a few more just to be safe. i have no idea what happened. i swear i am a normal person, normal friends, social life. i was told my letters were outstanding. i am very thankful to have matched, and it's a solid academic program with strengths in my particular interests, which is nice, but what the heck????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It boggles the mind. But there probably isn't a real answer. This is now one of your existential life questions that you can dwell on for a few weeks but you can't let it get you stuck. Mourn. Mull. Then get up and keep going. You sound like a very strong candidate and now you will soar at your new place.

Reactions: 1 users
Feel fortunate you have a spot at all, goes to show you that stats aren’t everything in an application - use this as a chance to get some humility, and work like heck during residency as you very nearly didn’t match.

Reactions: 8 users
When I was a med student, all those years ago (hey, that sounds like a great song lyric!), there was an ortho resident that matched 16/16.

Be thankful you matched. Believe it or don't, you'll be successful!! Congratulations!!

Reactions: 2 users
You are a DO in gen surg, 2016 shows a 50% match rate for DOs. You should feel lucky.

Lol misread. If he/she was AOA then they have indeed sit a record

Last edited:
You are a DO in gen surg, 2016 shows a 50% match rate for DOs. You should feel lucky.

Where are you getting the idea that OP is a DO? Are you confusing Alpha Omega Alpha with American Osteopathic Association?

Are you from a major coastal city? I have heard that sometimes people from southern CA and the Bay Area can kind of get screwed because their local programs are way too competitive but other programs don't want to be the second choice of someone who probably wanted to stay in their highly desirable area. So you can end up getting ranked low enough by most of your programs.

Statistical anomaly maybe. I had a friend from an ivy league undergrad with top grades, great mcat, only get into one medical school.

Or perhaps you don't interview as well as you think.

Who cares? You have a job next year.

If you're still feeling sorry for yourself in a day or two, head over to the NRMP SOAP thread and then be thankful.

Reactions: 5 users
Quick summary: top school, AOA/250+ steps, honors in everything, matched #15/16 in general surgery. was told by everyone that I'd have no problem matching somewhere in my top 3. was told I shouldn't even INTERVIEW at more than 12, but I threw in a few more just to be safe. i have no idea what happened. i swear i am a normal person, normal friends, social life. i was told my letters were outstanding. i am very thankful to have matched, and it's a solid academic program with strengths in my particular interests, which is nice, but what the heck????
Matching down your list...happens. Not necessarily you or your stats. Either way matched is good, and honestly given rise to the top of your program if possible. Be your best, despite the match.

I came across an IMG who matched #19/20 for Neurology. So no you did not set a record.

Reactions: 1 user