Did I shoot myself in the foot by completing at many schools in late August/late September?

Desdet

Stay Fresh!
2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2017
Inkopolis
MD applicant here with a solid application. I completed 16/25 of my applications before Labor Day, and have gotten all of my 5 IIs (including 2 from T20 schools) so far from those 16. I haven't gotten any pre-II Rs.
I am pretty happy with this, but I noticed in the school-specific threads that most of the schools I completed after Labor Day are only beginning to send IIs to applicants who completed in July. As we are approaching November, I am wondering if my chances of IIs from those schools are toast because most IIs go out by end of November and I can't see them getting to me at this pace.
Am I justified in worrying about this?

drbatsandwich

I like bats. I like sandwiches.
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe there are a few schools that love early applicants and will fill their class with July completes. That’s the exception, not the rule. Medical schools aren’t going to give out the majority of their interviews by November to people who were complete in basically a two week time period. You already have five freakin interviews and are doing better than the vast majority. So no, I don’t think your worries are justified.

Reactions: 4 users
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
MD applicant here with a solid application. I completed 16/25 of my applications before Labor Day, and have gotten all of my 5 IIs (including 2 from T20 schools) so far from those 16. I haven't gotten any pre-II Rs.
I am pretty happy with this, but I noticed in the school-specific threads that most of the schools I completed after Labor Day are only beginning to send IIs to applicants who completed in July. As we are approaching November, I am wondering if my chances of IIs from those schools are toast because most IIs go out by end of November and I can't see them getting to me at this pace.
Toast is probably premature, but the SDN wisdom of Labor Day being on time did not come from nowhere, and the thought that everything would be pushed back at every school this year due to COVID might turn out to have been wishful thinking, at least at some schools. It's still way too early to panic, and your 5 IIs indicate a strong application, so you really should just sit tight, especially because there is nothing else to do at this point. :cool:

Most schools do not issue IIs in strict chronological order, so don't draw too many conclusions from when people are complete. Others receive IIs two weeks after being complete, so it is very variable. You are doing great so far, and will probably be looking at at least 1 or 2 As even if you don't receive any more IIs. Is it safe to assume the last 9 were not among your top 16 choices?

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

manofgod747

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

You answered your own question. No, you didn't. You have 5 II's which is better than the majority of the applicants as far as you can tell from this forum at least.

For anyone else with similar questions, Adcoms have answered this question so many times on this forum, so maybe try the search function...?

Reactions: 3 users

Desdet

Stay Fresh!
2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2017
Inkopolis
Toast is probably premature, but the SDN wisdom of Labor Day being on time did not come from nowhere, and the thought that everything would be pushed back at every school this year due to COVID might turn out to have been wishful thinking, at least at some schools. It's still way too early to panic, and your 5 IIs indicate a strong application, so you really should just sit tight, especially because there is nothing else to do at this point. :cool:

Most schools do not issue IIs in strict chronological order, so don't draw too many conclusions from when people are complete. Others receive IIs two weeks after being complete, so it is very variable. You are doing great so far, and will probably be looking at at least 1 or 2 As even if you don't receive any more IIs. Is it safe to assume the last 9 were not among your top 16 choices?
Yeah, I admit I wasn't as enthusiastic about the ones I completed later. They were a combination of OOS schools and top schools that I assumed aren't heavily rolling.
You are all right that there's nothing left for me to do, but I can't help but speculate...

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
When someone has five IIs, one should not think that every school you applied to is going to send you an II.

Reactions: 3 users
Aug 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
have gotten all of my 5 IIs (including 2 from T20 schools) so far from those 16. I haven't gotten any pre-II Rs.

these humble brag threads are ridiculous...just like the recent one with the applicant who said "I have 13 interviews but what if I fail all of them?"

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 16 users

Ganon

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Only 5 IIs by October?
Better fill out a podiatry application STAT!
for real, wtf

Mar 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I think you are fine. By early Oct. should be reasonable for this cycle given COVID.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads