Did I shoot myself in the foot by releasing Step 2 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qbert123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US med grad from a middle of the pack top 50 school. I got in the mid 230s on Step 1 and received a number of interviews from some pretty good places. My grades though are lackluster (mostly passes during third year), and my class ranking is low. So I thought I would try to bolster this by taking step 2 and doing well. To let them know that my fund of clinical knowledge is sound. Unfortunately I did not do as well as I was hoping, and got a 222 (90). This score came back in early Jan during interviews, and I went ahead and released it to my programs. I figure I performed above the national average, so it can't be too bad. Now I'm thinking that might have been a mistake. I would appreciate some input from people with inside knowledge of how programs think. In terms of cost/benefit, do you think this will relect negatively on me? The programs I hope to get into are not the top tier (ie JHU, MGH), but more like U of Chicago, Rush,U of Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

qbert123 said:
I am a US med grad from a middle of the pack top 50 school. I got in the mid 230s on Step 1 and received a number of interviews from some pretty good places. My grades though are lackluster (mostly passes during third year), and my class ranking is low. So I thought I would try to bolster this by taking step 2 and doing well. To let them know that my fund of clinical knowledge is sound. Unfortunately I did not do as well as I was hoping, and got a 222 (90). This score came back in early Jan during interviews, and I went ahead and released it to my programs. I figure I performed above the national average, so it can't be too bad. Now I'm thinking that might have been a mistake. I would appreciate some input from people with inside knowledge of how programs think. In terms of cost/benefit, do you think this will relect negatively on me? The programs I hope to get into are not the top tier (ie JHU, MGH), but more like U of Chicago, Rush,U of Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Were you specifically asked about your step II score during interviews or was it released after you finished the trail? Many places will average the two scores together. In light of all your other "stats" that score shouldn't make much of a difference. Its not as if you performed horribly on the test. Good luck in the match and Chicago rocks!

VentdependenT said:
Were you specifically asked about your step II score during interviews or was it released after you finished the trail? Many places will average the two scores together. In light of all your other "stats" that score shouldn't make much of a difference. Its not as if you performed horribly on the test. Good luck in the match and Chicago rocks!

Yes during my interviews in January they asked me if I had taken step II. I honestly replied yes and told them my score, and they wrote it down. No comments were really made. I think otherwise my interviews went really well, and I hope that this step II score will not end up pulling down my application. I guess I am sort of hoping that after my step I score secured me an interview, that they would rely primarily on my interview to decide. Like I said, I was actually hoping my above average step 2 would compensate for below average class rank. But I really don't know how these programs think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do programs wonder whats up if you took step 2 and did not release your score?

qbert123 said:
Yes during my interviews in January they asked me if I had taken step II. I honestly replied yes and told them my score, and they wrote it down. No comments were really made. I think otherwise my interviews went really well, and I hope that this step II score will not end up pulling down my application. I guess I am sort of hoping that after my step I score secured me an interview, that they would rely primarily on my interview to decide. Like I said, I was actually hoping my above average step 2 would compensate for below average class rank. But I really don't know how these programs think.

Qbert, I think your step scores helped your candidacy in light of what you have relayed about your grades and class rank. Your scores are above average and certainly didn't hurt you. I think that for some programs, your scores may have helped to negate any negatives regarding your class rank and grades. If you have aced the interview, I think you will have a good shot at any program you interviewed with.

Relax and work on your list.