Did I waste my time applying this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocky1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.35
DAT: 18/18/19
Applied to 12 Schools (NYU, Case, BU, Temple, Tufts, Nova, Midwestern, Western, Michigan, UofD, Creighton, Louisville)

-Took 2 years off to do oncology research (getting publications soon)
-1000+ hours of volunteering
-300+ job shadowing general dentist and oral surgeon
-academic peer advisor
-1000+ hrs of research in college
-application sent August 7th, everything completed Sept. 30th (secondary checks, secondary essays)

Did I just waste my money and time to apply this year? Should I retake my DAT again? Do I have a chance to even get an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Your should have your answer no later than July/August.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.35
DAT: 18/18/19
Applied to 12 Schools (NYU, Case, BU, Temple, Tufts, Nova, Midwestern, Western, Michigan, UofD, Creighton, Louisville)

-Took 2 years off to do oncology research (getting publications soon)
-1000+ hours of volunteering
-300+ job shadowing general dentist and oral surgeon
-academic peer advisor
-1000+ hrs of research in college
-application sent August 7th, everything completed Sept. 30th (secondary checks, secondary essays)

Did I just waste my money and time to apply this year? Should I retake my DAT again? Do I have a chance to even get an interview?

Assuming you haven't heard anything back in terms of interviews, it is probably because your secondaries weren't sent out right away. I've noticed that a majority of schools are VERY slow! my AADSAS was sent out July 10th and secondaries finished right away and my interviews are just trickling in. Heard back from three schools right away, and then nothing for the past month or so. Your stats aren't bad, and you already paid for this cycle, so just keep your fingers crossed and wait to see what happens. I think it may be too late to retake the DAT now, so if things don't work out this cycle, just retake for next cycle. Dont chalk this one up as a waste until you are rejected by all schools. There are multiple people from last cycle who were in the same situation as you and still got in.

Well, thats just my two cents, however, most people on here are rookies at this too. Its like the blind leading the blind!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. If I had to guess, you'll be matriculating this upcoming fall at some dental school on your list. You're late but you're not that late! You will get interviews, its just that you are playing the waiting game now and at a time where everyone else is hearing back from schools cuz most of us applied early. Just be patient and wait your turn and Im sure it will come, sounds like you have a great resume.

If that is the only time you have taken the DAT I imagine schools will encourage you to take it again. On that note, you're numbers are not bad. As seen in the last couple of years, it is extremely competitive again though. I still haven't heard from BU, Tufts, Louisville (some of the schools you're applying too) and I applied July 1st. Stuff didn't get mailed till the end of July though. I wouldn't count yourself out. You many not hear as quickly as you want though

if your PS and LOE are as strong as rest of your EC you should be in good shape.
Out of all schools I would think you only lost your money with Case- they booked well into April and tend to have cut off at little higher numbers for acceptance. Even then you still might get a late invite and be able to reschedule it after Dec 1 when people will start canceling...
BU sent their invite batch on Aug 27. Tufts Sep 28. It seems to take 4-6 weeks after your appl was placed "under review" to get any response back. You did miss out on pre Dec invites but those schools offer same amount if not more invites for post Dec dates. All that means that you won't be keeping vigil with baited breath on Nov 30 for those schools.
NYU offering late Oct invites and I just received invite today- mailing 7/24
I have read few old posts where people canceled as many as 6 post Dec invites because they got in somewhere earlier.
So keep your hope up.