Medical Did my alcohol IA kill my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m aware that SDN conventional wisdom says that an IA for alcohol is detrimental but not a deal breaker for every school. However, mine seems particularly irresponsible. 1 month into freshman year I was drunk and vomited in the lobby of my dorm building and got a underage. (And I specify exactly what happened on AMCAS/AACOMAS) I explained on my app that I take full responsibility and have since grown a lot since my freshman year.

I applied to 5 DO schools and 10 MD schools and finished applying late august/ September. I currently have 2 Rs and 0 IIs.

I have a cGPA of 3.41, sGPA of 3.36 (strong upward trend) and a 509 MCAT. I also have 700+ hours of clinical experience and 100+ hours of volunteering with pretty good LORs.

If I have to reapply I just want to know if it was my IA or the rest of my application. I am curious if my IA is more of a red flag than most IAs. (Please let me know if I’m overthinking this)

Thanks in advance.
That's a pretty solid app for DO, but you probably should have applied to more schools KNOWING you had an IA. You are most likely DOA at most MD since your GPA/MCAT are low for most schools PLUS the IA.

If you reapply, I would apply to 15 DO schools and a few select MD (like your in-state).

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.