did not list Research experience on application... what to say if the interviewer asks about researc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HereComesTheTrundle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to write a post for my friend because she had a question regarding her research experience.

So, she tried research for ~ 1 month her freshmen year, and forgot to include it on her primary or secondary application because it was an insignificant experience for her and it slipped out of her mind at the time she was finishing up her applications.

If the interviewer asks her if she has done research, should she say yes or no? She is afraid to say yes because they might think she is hiding something by not including it on the application. (and she has bad relationship with her PI...)

Does college usually provide adcom with a history of research experience just like disciplinary action?

Does leaving out your research experience have same consequences of leaving out your disciplinary actions?

Feel free to post your reply directly on this thread or through inbox. Thanks you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, she can leave out the research experience without any problem. Unless she did research for credit and it shows up on her transcript, I don't see how the schools will know about it.

No, she can leave out the research experience without any problem. Unless she did research for credit and it shows up on her transcript, I don't see how the schools will know about it.

She signed some forms prior to starting the research experience (I believe it's some kind of agreement/confidentiality stuffs). Do you think the institution keeps those records and adcoms might be able to find out about it?

No, I seriously doubt the schools will check every applicant's background in depth. Also, it's fine if your friend tells her interviewer that she did research for a month and didn't enjoy it. It's a completely valid reason for not continuing, not every one enjoys research. Leaving out research experience is completely different from leaving out disciplinary actions, which is much more serious!

Reactions: 2 users