Dental Did not take Orgo II, will i still be able to get into Dental school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone/anyone,

I have a general question. How important is it to fulfill every single pre-requisite for dental school? Basically, do I have a chance of getting into dental school if I have not taken Orgo II?

Now, to get more specific, I graduated from an engineering school with a Bachelor's in Biomedical Engineering (5-year program: 4 years study, 1 year of co-op). My GPA is 3.76 and I am currently preparing to take the DAT at the end of June so don't have OC results to mention just yet. I currently work at a medical device company as an engineer, but I ultimately see myself bringing engineering solutions in the oral health field which is why I want to be a dentist, amongst other things. I believe I am well-rounded with my background and experience, but I am getting to the point of unnecessary stress by not being able to get an answer if my whole application is shot if I don't fulfill every single pre-req. I have listed the classes (not all) that I took below that are science-related (some that are engineering-based but are also heavy on science) and the resulting grade. I figured it would be helpful to give a shortlist of the classes I took as I am not sure if schools would consider those in regards to me not taking Orgo II.

- Transferred in GEN BIO I and II from AP BIO in HS

1st Year:
- GEN CHEM I Grade: A
- GEN CHEM II Grade: A
- University Physics I Grade: A

2nd Year:
- Cell & Molec. Bio for Engineers I Grade: A
- University Physics II Grade: B- (very difficult course, almost everyone does/did bad)
- Cell & Molec. Bio for Engineers II Grade: A-
- Biosystems Process Analysis Grade: A
- Biomechanics and Biomaterials Grade: A

3rd Year:
- Orgo Chem I Grade: A
- Biocompatibility & Immune System Grade: A
- Systems Physiology I Grade: A

4th Year:
- Systems Physiology II Grade: B+
- Orgo Chem II, Withdrew as I had personal problems that arose this semester, term GPA also took a hit (3.59)
- Medical Device Engineering Grade: A-

5th Year:
- Hemodynamics Grade: A
- Biochem I Grade: A-
- Descriptive Inorganic Chem Grade: A-
- Tissue Engineering Grade: A

Thanks in advance!

Edit: to add on, I did not include any English classes as I also completed that requirement. I am not worried about that.
Not sure... depends on the school. Focus on your DAT and do well.

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades are solid however none of us know that answer. It may depend on the school on how lenient they are. Personally I would contact the school. If you need to take it, then take it and ace it and apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.