Did Nursing school kill my chances of going to Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephaniah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m trying to use Nursing as a stepping stone to get into Med school. I switched my major from chemistry to Nursing in college the decision I’ll always regret because I thought medical school was a distant dream! I didn’t even give it a try. After I decided to go for Nursing, first I took my pre-Nursing classes at a local commmunity college and graduated with 3.9 gpa. Then I applied to multiple nursing schools and got accepted into one of the top Nursing schools in my state. The school offers only an accelerated Bachelor’s of science in Nursing. So it took me only 16 months to graduate plus 2 and 1/2 years in community college. During my first two semesters in nursing school, I had a bunch of relationship-related/personal problems and screwed up my gpa. I worked hard to bring up my gpa in the remaining semesters but the damage was already done. I ended upgraduating with 2.75 cumulative gpa(this is only my nursing school gpa). Many people tell me to go for an NP or PA but I don’t think I would be satisfied. My aspirations to become a physician dates back to when I was a smallchild. Now I have been an RN for a year but I am still not satisfied! My dream to become an MD was dead, buried and decayed until a few months ago but my faith overrode my doubt and resurrected this dead dream in me! Now I’m planning to start taking my pre-Med classes and try to keep a perfect gpa. My stats are as follows
Pre-Nursing gpa=3.9
Nursing school gpa=2.75
Post bac=?
MCAT=?
Is my dream to go back to Med school over? Do I have any chance of getting accepted into to Med school if I keep a perfect gpa in mypost bac classes and get a higher score on MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I’m trying to use Nursing as a stepping stone to get into Med school. I switched my major from chemistry to Nursing in college the decision I’ll always regret because I thought medical school was a distant dream! I didn’t even give it a try. After I decided to go for Nursing, first I took my pre-Nursing classes at a local commmunity college and graduated with 3.9 gpa. Then I applied to multiple nursing schools and got accepted into one of the top Nursing schools in my state. The school offers only an accelerated Bachelor’s of science in Nursing. So it took me only 16 months to graduate plus 2 and 1/2 years in community college. During my first two semesters in nursing school, I had a bunch of relationship-related/personal problems and screwed up my gpa. I worked hard to bring up my gpa in the remaining semesters but the damage was already done. I ended upgraduating with 2.75 cumulative gpa(this is only my nursing school gpa). Many people tell me to go for an NP or PA but I don’t think I would be satisfied. My aspirations to become a physician dates back to when I was a smallchild. Now I have been an RN for a year but I am still not satisfied! My dream to become an MD was dead, buried and decayed until a few months ago but my faith overrode my doubt and resurrected this dead dream in me! Now I’m planning to start taking my pre-Med classes and try to keep a perfect gpa. My stats are as follows
Pre-Nursing gpa=3.9
Nursing school gpa=2.75
Post bac=?
MCAT=?
Is my dream to go back to Med school over? Do I have any chance of getting accepted into to Med school if I keep a perfect gpa in mypost bac classes and get a higher score on MCAT?
Nothing is over until you say it's over -- how far are you willing to go? Yes, you will certainly have to have a good explanation regarding the nursing school gpa -- personal problems won't cut it, unless it was something like a parent dying -- my pet cat being sick and coughing up more hairballs than usual? Not so much.

The truth of the matter is this: No one can tell you what will happen. If they could, they would own a small 3rd world country having won the Powerball lottery. I would recommend contacting the admissions departments of a few med schools I was interested in and just going in and very professionally (both in dress, mannerisms and preparation) discuss it with them. Ask for recommendations on how to improve your package. Most are pretty cool about walking you through the process. In the meantime, they get to know you and it may get you an otherwise undeserved shot...

good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing is over until you say it's over -- how far are you willing to go? Yes, you will certainly have to have a good explanation regarding the nursing school gpa -- personal problems won't cut it, unless it was something like a parent dying -- my pet cat being sick and coughing up more hairballs than usual? Not so much.

The truth of the matter is this: No one can tell you what will happen. If they could, they would own a small 3rd world country having won the Powerball lottery. I would recommend contacting the admissions departments of a few med schools I was interested in and just going in and very professionally (both in dress, mannerisms and preparation) discuss it with them. Ask for recommendations on how to improve your package. Most are pretty cool about walking you through the process. In the meantime, they get to know you and it may get you an otherwise undeserved shot...

good luck to you.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-Nursing gpa=3.9
Nursing school gpa=2.75
Post bac=?
MCAT=?
Stop posting the same thread over and over

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.