did PGY1 in IM for 8 months, not promoted to 2nd year, please advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc222

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i did research for 4 years. My X boss helped me to get into IM program against the will of the program director. My scores are as follows step 1 85 and step 2-- 75(2nd attempt) CS passed, graduate of 2002.

I have done PGY1 for 8 months in IM , and I was not promoted to PGY2. I have ACGME evaluations ranging from 6 to 8 and in two of the rotations i scored 5. My program director gave a letter of recommendation and it is neutral. he mentioned i am hardworking, sincere, good work ethic, and she will be credited for the 8 months from July 2007 to Feb 2008.

However in ABIM report he gave unsatifactory and i got "0" credits. I don't understand this discrepancy. I emailed my program director and asked him. He mentioned that ABIM gives 1 full year credit and it wont give credit for few months. I called the ABIM personnel and they said it is not true, my PD can give satisfactory and i will get credits and i can apply for IM anywhere else.

I am looking for PGY2 in FP and PGY1 in FP (2009 match).

I contacted AAFP regarding the transfer of credits from IM to FP and my call was transferred to a program director in AAFP phone line and he mentioned that i will have funding issues for medicare.

The graduate medical education funding has already paid 60,000 dollars for my previous program for medicare for the duration of 8 months and the new program i join will not get this money. they have to pay from their pocket. few program don't have funding issues. GOD only know where are those programs

I am totally lost, i can't get into IM b/c i have "0" credits in ABIM report, and i have funding issues for PGY1 in FM and with 8 months of clinical experience i have very few chances in PGY2 in FM.

some one pllllllllllllllllllllllllllease advice.

Members don't see this ad.

What have you been doing since Feb 2008?

If you have less than a year's worth of credit from your IM residency, it will be VERY difficult to secure a PGY-2 spot in FM.

Hmmm...tough situation. Sorry about that. I think the 1st thing you need to do is clarify about whether you are going to get credit for the 8 months vs. not. Your PD was doing one thing and telling you something different. Would it be possible to get your old boss from the lab, +/- some other attendings who liked you, to discuss this issue with the PD. I think what you want at this point is an OK letter of recommendation, and as much credit as you can get. You aren't going to be able to get a PGY2 spot in any case...better look for a PGY-1, or maybe a PGY-1 with possibility of being advanced to PGY2 after 6 months or something (so that you'd finish residency in 2.5 years). Does your old boss (or do other attendings who worked with you) know some other docs at other residency programs? I think using your personal connections is going to be the way to get another residency now. With having been dismissed from 1 residency and having a gap between med school and residency, I think it will be challenging for you to get a residency now, at least "on paper". You need somebody to pull strings. Try to find out from your PD what were his specific concerns about you as well...difficult to hear and some of it may be BS, but also it may help you to know in the future since there may be some truth in his criticisms.

I'm confused.

PDs are required to give you 4 months notice of non contract renewal. It appears that yours did.

But unless there is some MAJOR problem your contract for the current year isn't broken. I mean, residents aren't fired on the spot except in the most aggregious conditions so I am confused as why you only have 8 months of IM and didn't finish with a full year on June 30.:confused:

I did research for 3 1/2 years, my boss helped me to get into IM residency with his influence against the will of program director.

During my interview, the PD was asking me how can my boss can force him to take me in, and i said i honestly don't know anything. I got in.

The very first month in July 2007 my attending a best friend of PD, gave evaluation of 5 and wrote a letter to PD, that I can't handle CCU. Next month Aug i did CCU and i got evaluation of 6 and i passed.

All the attendings and residents like me except chief residents, i don't know why. In the month of Nov i had a resident who was going to be a cheif resident and i faced lot of trouble with her. She mentioned that i neglected breast cancer pt and i was kept on probation from Dec to FEB.

All my eval from Dec to Feb are 6, 7, and 8. Then i went to MICU in March 2008. My attending in MICU is a X chief resident. On the 2nd day when i worked in MICU the program director came to my attending and spoke to her inlength. i worked in MICU for 10 days. During this period, my MICU attending wrote a letter to PD that I was supposed to call the MICU fellow to his house for any new admissions on the days i am on overnight call.

My overnight call is handled by CCU , 3 rd resident, and she admits the new patients. i told her that i need to call the fellow for new admissions. She said pt is stable no need to call, call him tomorrow at 6:00 AM and i followed her instructions and i called at 6:00 AM. The fellow was pissed off. I explained the entire story, but him and the attending were not convinced. They told me even the pt is stable i need to call, and i should not follow resident instructions. I said i am sorry, i wont' repeat the same mistake. Every single day during rounds they ask me billions of questions but they don't ask other resident or intern. 10 days working in MICU i was terminated.

I have received all my ACGME evaluations 6-8. only 2 rotations i received score of 5.

My program director gave me Letter of recommendation. He mentioned i am hardworking, good work ethic. I passed all the evaluations. She will be credited for the following 8 months and listed all the rotations in letter. He wrote this letter in the month of March. In MAY he submitted an ABIM evaluation and gave me unsatisfactory for 8 months and I got "0 " credits.

From March to June he gave me reading electives. He never mentioned any where about the reading electives.

I called few IM programs and explained them that in recommendation letter i have credits and in ABIM report i don't have credits. The IM program coordinators mentioned they will go by the ABIM.

I called the FP PGY2 programs and they mentioned that they just need a letter from the PD, that i was given credits and they will see which ones match and they can give me credits.
I am not sure how many of these will be credited. I have faxed my informationf for few PGY2 programs in FP and i didn't get any call.

I did the following rotations 3months of INPATIENT medicine wards, 1 mon CCU, 1 mon ER, 1 month Nightfloat, 1 month Hematology consult and 1 month research elective.

I want to apply for PGY1 FM, and a program director in AAFP mentioned there will be medicare funding issues, about 60k has been given to my IM program for 8 months i worked and the new program i join will not get this 60k .medicare. However few programs don't care about funding.

Which are these programs?? i don't know, i am assuming probably Univ programs in FP? with my background i don't even know whether i will be qualified for univesity programs.

Will some one pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllease help me .

i am graduate of 2002 from india, did 3 1/2 yrs of research, 2 years of observership, 8 months PGY1 in IM, and 3 months of acting internship.
scores step 1 85, step 2 second attempt 75, step 2 cs passed . now preparing for step 3.

Thank you for the additional information. There appear to be several problems. We DO want to help but there are some significant issues at work here.

First, as an FMG without stellar USMLE scores and more than 6 years from medical school graduation, you are not a competitive candidate. The farther you, or anyone, even a US grad, gets away from graduation, the less competitive they generally are. Only stellar candidates can purposely take 3.5 years off to do research and expect to have anywhere near good chances of getting into training in the US.

But perhaps you weren't aware of this, perhaps you didn't prepare in advance to come to the US and find out what you needed to do to match. All of that is in the past. You cannot change when you graduated nor can you change your USMLE scores. So you're starting off "behind the 8 ball".

I did research for 3 1/2 years, my boss helped me to get into IM residency with his influence against the will of program director.

During my interview, the PD was asking me how can my boss can force him to take me in, and i said i honestly don't know anything. I got in.

I can understand being desparate for a position but it sounds as if this was destined to fail. I too would wonder how the PD could be "forced" to hire you, unless your boss was the Department Chair, some other hospital bigwig or had some dirt on the PD that he threatened to tell if he didn't hire you.

At any rate, forcing yourself into a position and having the PD tell you that he doesn't want you there, seems to me to be a set-up for failure. In no way am I now suprised that you were fired. He gave you a chance he didn't want to, and documented that you could not succeed, so was well within his rights to fire you.

The very first month in July 2007 my attending a best friend of PD, gave evaluation of 5 and wrote a letter to PD, that I can't handle CCU. Next month Aug i did CCU and i got evaluation of 6 and i passed.

Again, you got shafted. You are, at that point, 5 years out of medical school, having spent 3.5 years doing research. Almost everyone's clinical skills would be creaky, if not downright rusty at that point. To put you in the CCU for your first month, where the level of knowledge, the skill set and the acuity is pretty high, is again, a plan for you to fail.

BTW, the numbers "5", "6", etc. mean nothing to us. Every hospital uses a different system of evaluation - I shall assume, however, that you mean on a scale of 10 - with 10 being the best they've ever seen and 5 is somewhat substandard (that would mirror the system we used).

All the attendings and residents like me except chief residents, i don't know why. In the month of Nov i had a resident who was going to be a cheif resident and i faced lot of trouble with her. She mentioned that i neglected breast cancer pt and i was kept on probation from Dec to FEB.

Whether they like you or not is almost irrelevant (although being liked can get you through a program even if you are substandard). They clearly had some concerns about your level of knowledge and perhaps more importantly, your judgement. Did you neglect a cancer? When you were told you did, what was your response? Did you learn from the experience or argue with the Chiefs?

All my eval from Dec to Feb are 6, 7, and 8. Then i went to MICU in March 2008. My attending in MICU is a X chief resident. On the 2nd day when i worked in MICU the program director came to my attending and spoke to her inlength. i worked in MICU for 10 days. During this period, my MICU attending wrote a letter to PD that I was supposed to call the MICU fellow to his house for any new admissions on the days i am on overnight call.

My overnight call is handled by CCU , 3 rd resident, and she admits the new patients. i told her that i need to call the fellow for new admissions. She said pt is stable no need to call, call him tomorrow at 6:00 AM and i followed her instructions and i called at 6:00 AM. The fellow was pissed off. I explained the entire story, but him and the attending were not convinced. They told me even the pt is stable i need to call, and i should not follow resident instructions. I said i am sorry, i wont' repeat the same mistake.

Sounds like they weren't clear about the instructions from the beginning. I also learned the hard way that calling the Chief or the fellow, at all times, even if patients were stable, was the best way. THEY (the fellow, the Chief, the attending) will tell you if you don't need to call. But either your 3rd year also wanted you to fail, didn't realize herself that the fellow wanted to be called about all admissions or was going to call him herself. It would have been nice if your 3rd year had stood up for you and told them that she instructed you not to call; but physicians aren't known for such chivalrous behavior.

Every single day during rounds they ask me billions of questions but they don't ask other resident or intern. 10 days working in MICU i was terminated.

Sometimes there is a resident who is made a scapegoat; some like to call it tough love (ie, if they didn't care about you, they wouldn't be asking and trying to improve your knowledge base) but often it is just picking on the resident. I'm sorry it was you - sounds like they had serious concerns about your knowledge and readiness to be in the MICU.

My program director gave me Letter of recommendation. He mentioned i am hardworking, good work ethic.

As you mentioned in your first post, this is a pretty bland recommendation. What is more glaring is what he doesn't say - ie, you have good insight and judgement, your clinical skills, your level of knowledge. Obviously, its important for a resident to be hardworking and have a good work ethic (suprising few residents do), but the other attributes are important as well.

I passed all the evaluations. She will be credited for the following 8 months and listed all the rotations in letter. He wrote this letter in the month of March. In MAY he submitted an ABIM evaluation and gave me unsatisfactory for 8 months and I got "0 " credits.

From March to June he gave me reading electives. He never mentioned any where about the reading electives.

I'm not sure what reading electives are except they sound like an attempt to improve your knowledge base and are not considered for credit - at your program or with ABIM. So what was said to you in March? Were you told that you woud not be offered a contract for this year and instead would be doing non-credit electives? I am confused about what you were told about the reading electives and what the PD says about the discrepancy between the LOR and the ABIM evaluation. Did he have a change of heart?

I called few IM programs and explained them that in recommendation letter i have credits and in ABIM report i don't have credits. The IM program coordinators mentioned they will go by the ABIM.

Yes, I expect they would (go by the ABIM report).

I called the FP PGY2 programs and they mentioned that they just need a letter from the PD, that i was given credits and they will see which ones match and they can give me credits.

Sounds good - so they will take the letter as proof and not a report from ABIM?

I am not sure how many of these will be credited. I have faxed my information for few PGY2 programs in FP and i didn't get any call.

I did the following rotations 3months of INPATIENT medicine wards, 1 mon CCU, 1 mon ER, 1 month Nightfloat, 1 month Hematology consult and 1 month research elective.

Programs have to use whatever requirements the ABFM says they can in order to allow you credit. You may or may not get FM credit for those months.

I want to apply for PGY1 FM, and a program director in AAFP mentioned there will be medicare funding issues...

Did you do a Prelim Medicine year or were you hired as a Categorical IM resident? If it is the latter, then you have 3 years of Medicare Funding. 8 months is currently used. If it is the former (you were a Prelim IM resident), then the clock has not started on your Medicare Funding. It starts when you enter training for the terminal BE/BC in your field.

about 60k has been given to my IM program for 8 months i worked and the new program i join will not get this 60k .medicare.

Nor should they. If your program spent 8 months attempting to train you, there is no reason another program should get money for it as well.

However few programs don't care about funding.

Which are these programs?? i don't know, i am assuming probably Univ programs in FP? with my background i don't even know whether i will be qualified for univesity programs.

No one knows where these programs are, because a central list does not exist.

If you were a Prelim, your funding clock has not started, so there is no problem.

If you were a Categorical resident, then you have 3 years total, of which you have used 8-12 months (it is unclear to me why you said you got funding for 8 months or 60K, as CMS funding is for 12 months and usually around $100K per resident. From my calculations it sounds as if you were a resident from July 2007 to July 2008. That is unless, you were essentially fired in March and the program did not accept or receive funding for you for the last 4 months.)

Do not make the mistake of thinking that University programs have more money or are more competitive than community programs, it doesn't always work that way. In addition, even if you have used up 8 - 12 months of your funding, programs will still get some money from CMS after your clock runs out.

It is only true that you will have problems based on funding as a function of other probems with your application. That is, a great resident, typically doesn't have funding issues because programs are willing to do with less money for training that resident.

I suspect that the funding issue is an easy way for programs to get around discussions about your application. Its much easier for them to tell you that than to tell you that your poor evaluations, distance from medical school, low USMLE scores, etc. are the reason they aren't interested.

But all is not lost; people in similar positions have found spots. You essentially have to call, and write, and FAX everyone and everything about a position.

None of us here has a crystal ball as to where the programs are that would be ok with your application.

Will some one pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllease help me .

i am graduate of 2002 from india, did 3 1/2 yrs of research, 2 years of observership, 8 months PGY1 in IM, and 3 months of acting internship.
scores step 1 85, step 2 second attempt 75, step 2 cs passed . now preparing for step 3.

Have you ever attempted to go through the match? Why did you spent 3.5 years doing research and 2 years of an observership? Did someone tell you that these would be good things to do to get into a US residency? I am stymied that you have spent that amount of time away from medicine and appear not to have tried to apply anywhere but rather finagled your way into a program that didn't really want you and are now suprised when they fired you for what appears to be some knowledge and judgement deficits.

I suppose the answer to my questions above won't really make a difference except to underscore the importance to others that you have to keep trying to get in, and cannot settle back doing other things and wishing yourself into a residency. Have you been applying for the match for 6 years now and never got in anywhere?

Openings will crop up this year as people leave programs, but they aren't well advertised. If you still have some connections at your former program, if any of the attendings are willing to help you, you need letters from them, and assistance in getting a position. You need to resolve this issue with the PD about whether you are getting credit or not.

Finally, the match for 2009 is starting in a couple of weeks. Do you have your application ready to go? Do you have letters, etc.? I would suggest you consider starting over with PGY-1 rather than looking for a PGY-2 program that will take you mid year.

i remain confused...:confused:

I appreciate your time, help and advice.

In hospital our evaluations are as follows

1-3 unsatisfactory/Margina
4-6 satisfactory
7-9 Superior

My evaluations most of them are 6,7,8
in 2 evauations i got 5.

I got interviews in 2005, and at that time i had only step 2 CK score 75[w 2nd attempt ] and step 2 CS.

in 2005 i got 2 interviews in IM and 4 interview in FM. They all mentioned to take step 1 as quickly as possible.

my research boss, has many millions of funding and has strong connections with dept chair. i honestly don't know what kind of influence he used. I requested my research boss several times now, but he is not willing to help me any more. He mentioned all the politics started when the Dept chair in IM has moved and became a vice president of the university and a new dept chairman has been recruited in July 2007.

in any case because i got help from the research boss i didn't apply anywhere in 2006 for 2007 match.

I am not sure how the ABFM will give credits for Family medicine

so i just should apply to all FP programs for 2009 match??
I haven't started on my application and i am approaching my attendings to give LOR.

Also i called ABIM and asked the staff, and they said, although my PD submitted his ABIM eval in May, still for today also he can change to satisfactory and can give me credits for 8 months.

I am not sure why in LOR he gave me credits, passed all evaluations, listed the evaluations, and in ABIM he did anonther thing. He should atleast notify me, which he did not.

at this point if i pursue for credits, will it be of any help ?? please advice.

so i apply for PGY1 FM, take step 3 and find out whether my credits will be transferred to PGY2 FM.

i feel like the ABFM will consider PD letter but not ABIM report. i am not sure.

Last edited:
I'll put in my 2 cents:

This is a mistake that all PD's make, once. Although it could be nefarious as WS suggests (i.e. someone threatening to tell some secret of the PD), usually it's a request by a faculty member known to the PD, who asks nicely, and has some influence at the institution. The PD figures that if they take the person, this faculty member will "owe them a favor" and that's always handy. Sadly, when the whole thing falls apart, the PD discovers that the mess is theirs to clean up, and the favor and good will has vanished. Now, if I ask for a favor, it sounds like "Hey, I took that guy who did badly, failed out, and created a scheduling nightmare for me. You owe me, buddy!", and that usually doesn't play well.

The ABIM uses a 9 point grading scale, as mentioned in your follow up post. 1-3 are unsatsifactory, 4-6 are satisfactoy, and 7-9 are superior. At least, that's what they;re supposed to mean.

But, in reality, this is a really stupid system. I mean, do we really need three different levels of unsatisfactory? Is it any better to be a 3 than a 1? So, here's what really happens:

• No one gets a 1-3. I have seen exactly one 3 so far, and that was for someone who was functioning at the level of a second year medical student. Given a 9 point scale, graders will not use the bottom of the scale, in general.
  • Most people score from 6-9.
  • A 5 is usually a concern, although some "tough graders" use 5's. As a PD, I know who my tough graders are.
  • A 4 is a major flag. In my program, it triggers a review of all of your evaluations from that block. Usually, it means your performance was marginal at best, and perhaps failing.

People may "like you" but not think your performance is acceptable. Physicians try to deliver bad news in humane ways, and this can cause poor functioning residents to not see how concerning their performance is. In addition, faculty assignments to rotations have become very short (often 1 week), and faculty often tell me "I was concerned about resident X, but I only worked with him/her for 1 week so I gave them a satisfactory, because I didn't feel like I had enough experience with them to fail them."

Chief residents, and the PD, and other people part of the residency program will be much more stark with their comments. First, training residents is their job and is what they focus on, so hopefully they're better at it. Second, they may get to see all of your prior evaluations (esp if you had some marginal ones) so they will likely be more focused on your performance from the start.

My overnight call is handled by CCU , 3 rd resident, and she admits the new patients. i told her that i need to call the fellow for new admissions. She said pt is stable no need to call, call him tomorrow at 6:00 AM and i followed her instructions and i called at 6:00 AM. The fellow was pissed off. I explained the entire story, but him and the attending were not convinced. They told me even the pt is stable i need to call, and i should not follow resident instructions. I said i am sorry, i wont' repeat the same mistake. Every single day during rounds they ask me billions of questions but they don't ask other resident or intern. 10 days working in MICU i was terminated.

Let me see if I get this right:
  1. Your preformance is considered marginal, enough that the PD steps in and comes up with a plan, that all of your admissions must be run by the fellow on call. This is made very clear to you.
  2. You get an admission. Some other resident in the program, who may know nothing about your troubles, tells you not to call.
  3. You don't call, directly disobeying your remediation plan.
  4. People are upset in the AM, and you get fired.
  5. You think you were only following the resident's instructions.

Sadly, I would have fired you on the spot also. Your PD and attending TOLD YOU TO CALL THE FELLOW. Why would you even ask anyone else what to do? This is your 8th month, you should know how the system works by now.

About getting asked "billions" of questions, this is a tough situation. It happens to residents who struggle all of the time. Here's why: 1) Once your evaluators are concerned that your knowledge might be behind, they are likely to ask more questions to see if that is the case, 2) you've gotten something wrong a few days ago, and now the same problem has come up (perhaps on a different patient) and the faculty wants to see if you learned something, or 3) you answer a question in a way that is wrong, and opens up a new line of questioning.

The last example happened with a student I was working with recently. We had a patient with chronic psych issues admitted for an overdose, and she had classic tardive dyskinesia. After examining the patient I asked the student what he thought of her tongue. Here's what happened:

Stud: "Well, her tongue looks big, so I think she has lead toxicity"
Me: "Hmm, why is that?"
Stud: "Well, I know she is anemic, and I know there's something that causes a large tongue and anemia, and I think it's lead poinsoning".
Me: "Well, you're right, but off target. B12 deficiency causes anemia and a beefy tongue, but that's not what I had in mind."
Stud: "Oh, well maybe she has acromegaly?"
Me: "Well, that can cause a large tongue also. But I'm not really concerned about the size of her tongue. Did you notice what she was doing with her tongue?"
Stud: "Oh, yeah, she was moving it around alot"
Me: "Yes, she was. [Note: Normally, I would continue with another open ended questions, but I think this person needs some direction, so I try to help] I was thinking this could be a reaction or side effect to one of her medications. What do you think?"
Stud: "Yes, I think that can happen"
Me: "Great, which one do you think it is?"
Stud: "Well, let's see. I'm sure it's not the Zyprexa."
Me: [Note: Bad news, it is the zyprexa, so I have to stop the pain now] "Actually, I think it is the Zyprexa. Perhaps you should read about tardive dyskinesia and we can talk about it tomorrow"

For an early 3rd year student, this could be fine. But you can see how once you answer a question inaccurately or incompletely, it can lead to further questions.

My program director gave me Letter of recommendation. He mentioned i am hardworking, good work ethic. I passed all the evaluations. She will be credited for the following 8 months and listed all the rotations in letter. He wrote this letter in the month of March. In MAY he submitted an ABIM evaluation and gave me unsatisfactory for 8 months and I got "0 " credits.

IM PD's need to report to the ABIM each year about each of the residents in their program. We tell them how many months of credit (and at what PGY level) each resident has completed. We also assign residents either a "Superior", "Satisfactory", "Marginal", or "Unsatisfactory" rating. If you get an unsatisfactory, you need to repeat the entire year. If you get a Marginal, you're allowed to progress but if you get another marginal you have to repeat a year. You're not allowed to get a marginal in your PGY-3 -- it's either satisfactory or unsatsifactory.

residents can fail an individual block. In that case, I simply report 11 months of credit instead of 12. If a resident fails any block, I usually end up assigning them marginal credit for the year. When you're terminated, your PD may simply feel that another 4 months of PGY-1 work is not going to be enough, and the best thing to do is to declare your training to date "Unsatisfactory", forcing you to start again.

"Reading electives" = no credit (hence not mentioned in your letter) but continues your salary for 3-4 months. They may have done this because your contract demanded it, or to be nice, or to keep your research mentor happy, or to keep you in visa status (if you have a visa).

I am not sure how many of these will be credited. I have faxed my informationf for few PGY2 programs in FP and i didn't get any call.

This is all absolutely correct. If your prior PD gave you an unsatisfactory, then you have no ABIM credit and must start over again. The ABFP will review your training, and decide what they will give you credit for. However, if the ABFP finds out that your PD gave you no ABIM credit, they will likely give you no ABFP credit also, so I wouldn't advertise this with FP programs.

I can try to give you advice. You may not like it.

1. First, you have to decide whether you want to continue to pursue clinical training, vs continuing in your research. Perhaps you could build a research career instead?
  2. Finding further clinical training will be difficult, but not impossible. You are several years away from graduation, your USMLE scores are not great, and you've been terminated from a residency program. All of this is not good, and going to leave you with few options.
  3. I'm guessing that since your research mentor has millions in research funds, that you were in a univeristy based program. This could be completely off base, as there are some community programs with big research infrastructure. Either way, you'll be looking a community based programs with all IMG's for any possible next spot. These programs can be good, but can be a disaster also -- read Doni's thread on this board for tales of woe, or search for PandaBear's old posts about his FP program (which actually was a Univ based one).
  4. You're going to need to apply very broadly to FP programs, and see what happens.
  5. If you do get advanced credit towards FP, it might be more of a nightmare than starting over. All of your credit is in IM, so all of your remaining PGY-1 time would be peds and OB most likely. That might leave you starting your PGY-2 rotations without ever rotating on the medicine services as a PGY-1, which can be very difficult.
  6. There is some chance that you will be unable to secure any further clinical training, and you should have a plan B in place to address that.

aPD - good pick-up on the MICU remediation. I read it as they hadn't told her that calling the fellow was required and she just heard from the 3rd year it wasn't. On rereading, I see that she did know it was required and I agree...after several months you should be familiar enough with the program to know how to run the bases.

And I was sort of kidding about the nefarious reasons for forcing someone to take her (although I suppose once in a blue moon there is some of the ol, "hey Bob, that blonde I saw you with, wasn't your wife was it?" going on). It probably was a favor of sorts as you note.

I'll put in my 2 cents:

People may "like you" but not think your performance is acceptable.

Chief residents, and the PD, and other people part of the residency program will be much more stark with their comments.

The last example happened with a student I was working with recently. We had a patient with chronic psych issues admitted for an overdose, and she had classic tardive dyskinesia. After examining the patient I asked the student what he thought of her tongue. Here's what happened:

Stud: "Well, her tongue looks big, so I think she has lead toxicity"
Me: "Hmm, why is that?"
Stud: "Well, I know she is anemic, and I know there's something that causes a large tongue and anemia, and I think it's lead poinsoning".
Me: "Well, you're right, but off target. B12 deficiency causes anemia and a beefy tongue, but that's not what I had in mind."
Stud: "Oh, well maybe she has acromegaly?"
Me: "Well, that can cause a large tongue also. But I'm not really concerned about the size of her tongue. Did you notice what she was doing with her tongue?"
Stud: "Oh, yeah, she was moving it around alot"
Me: "Yes, she was. [Note: Normally, I would continue with another open ended questions, but I think this person needs some direction, so I try to help] I was thinking this could be a reaction or side effect to one of her medications. What do you think?"
Stud: "Yes, I think that can happen"
Me: "Great, which one do you think it is?"
Stud: "Well, let's see. I'm sure it's not the Zyprexa."
Me: [Note: Bad news, it is the zyprexa, so I have to stop the pain now] "Actually, I think it is the Zyprexa. Perhaps you should read about tardive dyskinesia and we can talk about it tomorrow"

For an early 3rd year student, this could be fine. But you can see how once you answer a question inaccurately or incompletely, it can lead to further questions.

While aProgDir description of a "pimping" session seems at surface very innocent, however frankly when I see such a prolonged session such as this happen it makes the student (or resident) look very bad. Nice to discuss it tomorrow with the student though. 95% of my pimp-sessions where one question, either you know it or not, and then on to the next topic, . . . the rapid fire question is for residents/students that are thought to be incompetent and I think is a little mean, but this may be a finer shade of grey in the real meat house internal medicine programs.

I think once you do your psychiatry core rotation then you will know about tardive dyskinesia and have it down pat. But if you haven't had psychiatry yet then you maybe have a 50/50 chance that you know it. tardive dyskinesia is such a cliche on all the board examinations that everybody who gets an MD knows about it. I used to think that pimp session would inspire more studying, but in the end I think that attendings and residents do it in large part as a way to make subordinate be in awe of them and to make them feel smarter themselves. I think that only an interest in your patients makes you read more than you thought possible.

As for evaluating fund of knowledge I think that it does become very obvious which residents and students know the most without having to ask detailed pimp questions. I.e. it would have been a whole lot easier to just ask what the student thought about the wriggling tongue, and then just ask if them to say what they know about tardive dyskinesia, which is nothing, and then everybody discusses it tomorrow with a similar topic like cervical dystonia. Point being I think it works better to just plain ask the student to talk about what they know about topic x and have them trawl their brain rather than dancing around the issue, less painful for the student and demonstrates fund of knowledge in a less intimidating way then the passive aggressive let's ask 20 questions and see what is on my mind.

Remember that "classic tardive dyskinesia" was brand new to even the oldest attendings at some point. Best way I've seen:

Atten: "Well, we have a xx year old man who has a history of schiophrenia on x,y, and z medications, presents with tongue writhing as we observed on examination. Dr. Student, you see this patient in your office, what is your first concern? Nobody else answer!"

Student: "Hmm lead toxicity?"

Atten: "Lead toxicity! No, we aren't going to find the answer by testing for lead! Have you learned about tardive dyskinesia yet?"

Student: "No."

Atten: "Wonderful, tomorrow we will discuss tardive dyskinesia. I want you all to examine this patient tomorrow morning and we will discuss other signs of tardive dyskinesia besides tongue writhing."

I honestly think that asking 3-10 questions wastes everyone's time on the team and doesn't help the student learn anything.

I don't have enough experience with resident evaluations, but I think most people would agree that third year medical school evaluations are more subjective than a lot of attendings would like to admit and at the medical student level if people don't like you they can usually find a way to make you look bad even if you get all the pimp questions right and are a clinical ace. It is odd how on some rotations residents get excellent evals and others are pretty bad . . . doesn't make much sense. I think the moral of the story is to go to an institution where you don't feel hunted by nasty attendings.

Last edited:
I disagree. Using a series of questions in attempt to aid the student in discovering the answer on his/her own is a time-honored teaching tool: the Socratic method. It's value is that it not only teaches one facts, but also reasoning. One can certainly spew facts at medical students and residents, but helping them reason out the answer to a question builds their knowledge base, thinking skills and their self-esteem.

Ed

I agree w/Darthneurology.
"Pimping" can be a teaching tool at times, if it is done correctly. However, I also think it is sometimes used to intimidate people and to try to make certain students and residents (who have been targeted) look bad.

In regards to the original post, I would consider going to India to do clinical training, if I wanted to be a clinical doctor. At the same time I would apply to family medicine programs, as you are doing. I think if you get a spot it will be because of personal connections/letters of recommendation. You may have to write off getting credit for this past year, or you could try to have 1 more discussion with your former program director, to see if you can negotiate getting some credits (i.e. will he tell the ABIM that you are getting credit for 3-6 months, perhaps the months he felt you did a satisfactory job?).

I also disagree w/the post above saying the intern should have known to call the fellow about all admissions. This person was kind of damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. Maybe if he had called the fellow about the admissions, the 2nd year resident supervising him would have been pissed and given him a bad evaluation. If the plan was to call the fellow on every admission, then the resident should have been part of that plan also, and should have been aware of the plan. We can't (on this forum) make judgments about the competence vs. incompetence of this intern, but we can say that it doesn't seem his MICU team was operating in a very "teamlike" manner, which isn't good for ANY intern.

I disagree. Using a series of questions in attempt to aid the student in discovering the answer on his/her own is a time-honored teaching tool: the Socratic method. It's value is that it not only teaches one facts, but also reasoning. One can certainly spew facts at medical students and residents, but helping them reason out the answer to a question builds their knowledge base, thinking skills and their self-esteem.

Ed

I do not believe that the pimping in modern medicine mirrors the "Socratic Method" perfectly or evenly closely. From what I have read the Socratic Method was fitted to philosophical highly abstract arguments where groups of students and teachers basically sitting around debating and where there can be more than one right answer i.e. teacher in ancient greece asks a student what "love" is.

Problem is medicine is more precise and such highly artistic forms of debating concepts such as "justice" are a waste of time. Honestly, when I see a student or resident asked 10 questions on a topic they know nothing about for 15 minutes it is embarassing and the attending could ascertain in two questions that the student doesn't know the topic. I don't how this teaches anything.

I have watched many such episodes where ALL the attending does is ask questions, and then doesn't explain anything i.e. concludes with "go look it up." Socratic method works for perhaps poets who ask each other what is "love" and each answer becomes a question. This is NOT what is practiced in medical education which is just basically serially asking the same question ten times in a row.

Actually teaching students and residents how patients are managed is teaching as is spewing those things you deride called facts. Most attendings are poorly taught to be teachers and are poor teachers, probably doesn't matter as you learn your most reading on your own.

Pimping blows and yet it works as a scare tool. When used for grading, it turns into a sad sad weapon of mass destruction.

OP, get your act together and apply to another program. The one year of experience is a good advantage... secure it more by finishing step 3. That will land you more interviews. Consider a different field... even things you would not have considered before like Psych, Peds, Neuro, PMR...etc.

Ed

Equalling the Socratic method to pimping is akin to equalling sex to rape.

Equalling the Socratic method to pimping is akin to equalling sex to rape.

I never equalled them. What I commented on was using a series of questions to enhance understanding. I'm sorry if some of you have had poor educational experiences. "Pimping" is in the eye of the beholder just as "scutwork" is. Some will claim they are being pimped if they are asked any question on rounds, others only if they are badgered. I certainly agree that rapid-fire, unrelated questions which are intended to intimidate or embarrass a student/trainee (ala Dr. Kelso from Scrubs) are inappropriate. The line of questioning suggested by aProgDirector is completely appropriate (and Socratic, I might add).

It is very easy to spout knowledge and ask questions with one word answers. Most teachers never get past this basic level and their students suffer greatly. We need to learn more than just "What". We must learn "How" and "Why". An engaged, participating learner will retain knowledge and develop reasoning skills. If a teacher has the time and the ability, using a dialog is a very effective teaching tool. This is the style of teaching at most law schools. The goal is for the student to reason the answer out him/herself with the help of an intellectual guide. It can be intimidating, but it is also empowering. Becoming comfortable being put on the spot or resisting intimidation is very important too. A young R2's first code will put him/her on the spot. Having a heated discussion with a more senior resident from another service regarding can be quite intimidating. Abilities in these areas need to be developed just as much as knowledge base and reasoning skills. Of course, this shouldn't be used as an argument to verbally beat up someone.

There are many who "pimp" because they like to feel powerful and many others because they can't or won't work at teaching in a better way. Teaching is an art. The value of quality teaching is very under appreciated in medicine as well as other science disciplines. It's a travesty.

Ed

I never equalled them. What I commented on was using a series of questions to enhance understanding. I'm sorry if some of you have had poor educational experiences. "Pimping" is in the eye of the beholder just as "scutwork" is. Some will claim they are being pimped if they are asked any question on rounds, others only if they are badgered. I certainly agree that rapid-fire, unrelated questions which are intended to intimidate or embarrass a student/trainee (ala Dr. Kelso from Scrubs) are inappropriate. The line of questioning suggested by aProgDirector is completely appropriate (and Socratic, I might add).

I've experienced both. And while they're both different, I've stopped caring. I'm responsible for my education. I'm the one who has to pass exams. No matter which way my deficiencies are pointed out to me, I will read up on them.

While it would be nice to see more grown-up behavior from some doctors, it is still very amusing to see a 60 year old surgeon throw a tantrum like a toddler because everything isn't going his way. Boo-f'in-hoo.

I also disagree w/the post above saying the intern should have known to call the fellow about all admissions. This person was kind of damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. Maybe if he had called the fellow about the admissions, the 2nd year resident supervising him would have been pissed and given him a bad evaluation. If the plan was to call the fellow on every admission, then the resident should have been part of that plan also, and should have been aware of the plan. We can't (on this forum) make judgments about the competence vs. incompetence of this intern, but we can say that it doesn't seem his MICU team was operating in a very "teamlike" manner, which isn't good for ANY intern.

It sounded to me as if the PD and the MICU attending came up with a remediation plan for the OP which entailed her calling the fellow on all admission. Upon rereading it appears to me that she was informed of this plan, yet failed to follow through. I would not necessarily include the 3rd year because this is not a TEAM issue but rather a personal issue with one resident. I think most of us here would agree that if there was a problem which required the PD and attending to step in, we would rather it be dealt with privately than inform and involve the entire team. The 3rd year had no need to know about the plan and the OP, knowing that this plan was part of a remediation process, should have ignored the 3rd year's instructions because he/she was not part of the process. I'm not blaming the OP because it sounds like she didn't really think this through and realize that instructions from your PD and attending overrule instructions from your 3rd year.

I never equalled them. The line of questioning suggested by aProgDirector is completely appropriate (and Socratic, I might add).

It is very easy to spout knowledge and ask questions with one word answers. Most teachers never get past this basic level and their students suffer greatly.
We need to learn more than just "What". We must learn "How" and "Why". An engaged, participating learner will retain knowledge and develop reasoning skills. If a teacher has the time and the ability, using a dialog is a very effective teaching tool. This is the style of teaching at most law schools. The goal is for the student to reason the answer out him/herself with the help of an intellectual guide. It can be intimidating, but it is also empowering. Becoming comfortable being put on the spot or resisting intimidation is very important too. A young R2's first code will put him/her on the spot. Having a heated discussion with a more senior resident from another service regarding can be quite intimidating. Abilities in these areas need to be developed just as much as knowledge base and reasoning skills. Of course, this shouldn't be used as an argument to verbally beat up someone.

Ed

Actually I think aProgDir's line of questioning is not Socratic. APD just asks the student in different ways what the patient has.

In law school they try to use the Socratic method to learn how to argue things in court, which is what lawyers do, i.e. argue semantics. "Socratic method" in law school is really just learning how to bend semantics to make a defendant in cross examination look like they have misinterpreted the facts. I.e. arguing "When you heard what you call a "gun shot" it was really just a loud noise and several things can cause a loud noise right?" In the "Socratic method" you basically learn how to debate and twist information to make the other person look stupid.

Lawyers really practice trying to trip each other up, but it is silly to think that medical students and attendings should have such prolonged debates. This doesn't happen regardless as attendings ask leading questions or the same question in another form to the student as APD did. This is NOT the "socratic method" but rather just plain badgering in a way. You don't actively "learn" while being asked the same question again and again you just sit there and hope the answer comes to you. I fail to see how being badgered will let someone not sweat during a code. During a code you just need to run the protocol in your mind and take charge, only reading about running the code and doing it will make you proficient at that, not being asked ten times what tardive dyskinesia is.

Remember the Socratic method is used when there is often more than one correct answer or interpretation, i.e. in legal cases where on side "wins" because they had the better argument, often the defendant committed the crime but this is beside the point as long as your lawyer can argue you off the case. Medicine is much more black and white, i.e. there is a list of possible differential diagnosis and there is a next best step in management. You can't argue your patient out of a cancer diagnosis. In law school the Socratic method helps law students in the form of their argument and to argue better NOT to learn information or management of patients so I think it is silly to try to emulate law schools so closely.

The best attending I had would ask us maybe a dozen questions a day and wouldn't badger us at all, so we learned how much we didn't know and learned a whole lot more than watching an overated pimping session. I really think that some attendings are bullies who feel that they are somehow using some "time honored Socratic method" when in fact they are doing their students a diservice. I have seen an attending spend a good 15 minutes on one question and basically telling a whole group of students that he was shocked how we couldn't know this piece of information and when he finally answered his hard question he wasn't sure about the answer himself! In that same 15 minutes we could have gone through maybe 7 questions in board style format and discussed with the attending which I have done with other attendings. Asking a student ten questions and putting them on the spot just makes student more fearful and less able to take charge, like in a code.

Last edited: