1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

did poorly as undergrad, but going to grad school - thoughts on getting in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tommy82, May 10, 2007.

1. tommy82

i will graduate with a BS in biology @ ogpa 2.5. i have been doing research for a professor for 2 years and will ask him for a paying position in his lab. hopefully i can get my act together, do very well on GRES and get into graduate school.

if by doing extremely well in grad school (3.5+), and applying to pharm school after ... will they look more heavily at my undergrad or grad grades? i plan on getting a research article published with my name in it.

basically i would like to apply to pharm school asap, but find it highly unlikely to get in with a 2.5. i feel that by doing a masters, i will gain more experience and be able to show i'm a much better/changed student.

why a low gpa? didn't have a sense of direction and never thought of myself doing post-bac schooling. the real world was a nice swift kick in the balls.

edit: there was one quarter where i basically didn't take any finals, so i received F's in all those courses. yea my undergrad grades do not reflect very well

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bsps_2007

bsps_2007 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    if you can get into a grad school (most require at least 3.0 undergrad gpa) and do well, then you'll show adcoms you are capable of succeeding at upper level courses and they'll probably look more at your grad gpa. however, you'll still need to meet the pharmacy school's minimum pre-req gpa, get a high pcat score, gain lots of pharmacy experience, and acquire excellent letters of recommendation to have a chance at an interview.

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You'll just need to make sure you're prereqs are decent. I don't know if they weight Post-Bac any heavier than undergrad, but a nice upward trend helps. Right now 2.5 is the lowest I've seen as a minimum GPA anywhere, so you've got your work cut out for you to boost that up. If you can get it closer to 3.0 you'll have a decent chance given your experience. The problem is all the units you have to take to get a BS also make the GPA harder to raise. Don't know if this helps at all, but that's my perspective on your situation.

5. Dr.Biassi

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Even if you do well on the GRE you won't be able to get in one of the top school. What you can do is apply to a second or third tier school ( MAster degree), do well and then get your doctorate at a top school. Well if you are going for a pharmD after your master you will be fine with good grades at the graduate level.

6. tommy82

i have a question. when a pharm school says min gpa is 3.0, is that cumulative as in undergrad + grad?

i passed many of the prereqs already, but didn't necesarily get A's. would it be recommended to retake them at say a CC to get the A?

7. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well it depends what the grades in most of prereqs are. If a large amount of your prereq courses are Cs then I would say retake them. Prereqs are important even if you do well in a masters program.

8. tommy82

bump :)

i am waiting to hear back from an interview at a company where i would be doing inorganic chemist or microbio type entry level tasks. while i would prefer to enter pharmacy, i realize i would most likely need to get into a masters program to show that i am capable of handing graduate work.

i would just like to know if anyone else has gone through this route

9. wbrown

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I did this. My undergrad GPA is 3.1 overall with prereqs at about 3.15. I am just finishing a master's program. Like other posters said, you need to do really well on the PCAT to be considered, along with strong extracurriculars or work experience. I did also have to apply more than once, I applied the year I graduated and didn't get in so I did a master's program and have gotten into two schools so far this year (still waiting to hear from a third).

Which GPA they look at depends on the school, the ones I applied to look at the prereq GPA but also told me that since my grad school GPA was much higher (3.75) it showed I could be sucessful in graduate level work. Good luck to you.