Did some MAJOR diy post-bacc! What do you guys think?

Jan 23, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
So, I know most of you probably forgot about me! I posted on here a few times and then got serious about retaking my classes. my sGPA used to be around 2.6-2.7, I worked my ass off and got it up to 3.03 (not great, but I seriously did work as hard as I could). My main goal was to be around a 3.2, but that clearly did not work out. I was pregnant as I did my diy post-bacc, took my final exams on a Monday and delivered my baby girl on Tuesday! I know most of you said to choose a different career path as soon as you guys found out I was pregnant, but that simply was not an option for me.

So here I am, 3.3 cGPA and 3.03 sGPA
a TON of ECs, a lot of experience in a hospital setting, as well as a private clinic.
Shadowed an Internist (D.O.), Psychiatrist, Dermatologist, and Shadowed the vice chairman of Psychiatry in my hospital (don't know if that really matters…)

I have not taken my MCAT as of yet, but am currently studying for it and plan to take it in a few months.
I still have a few C's here and there in my pre-req, but not nearly as much as I used to!

What do you guys think? Any advice for a young mother who is dedicated to become a doctor no matter what stands in her way? :)

s5260205

7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2010
Status
Do well on your MCAT, retake science courses to raise sGPA, and then you should be set.

0dee

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Kudos to you for not giving up. I am assuming you're going to apply for next cycle. Retake 1-3 classes with Cs and ace them to raise that gpa just a little bit more, ideally above 3.25 so you avoid some of the cutoffs for some schools. Also, make sure you study hard because the mcat score is as important as your gpa, if not even more. Good luck and congrats!

oOKawaiiOo

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2011
Public library computer
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So, I know most of you probably forgot about me! I posted on here a few times and then got serious about retaking my classes. my sGPA used to be around 2.6-2.7, I worked my ass off and got it up to 3.03 (not great, but I seriously did work as hard as I could). My main goal was to be around a 3.2, but that clearly did not work out. I was pregnant as I did my diy post-bacc, took my final exams on a Monday and delivered my baby girl on Tuesday! I know most of you said to choose a different career path as soon as you guys found out I was pregnant, but that simply was not an option for me.

a TON of ECs, a lot of experience in a hospital setting, as well as a private clinic.
Shadowed an Internist (D.O.), Psychiatrist, Dermatologist, and Shadowed the vice chairman of Psychiatry in my hospital (don't know if that really matters…)

I have not taken my MCAT as of yet, but am currently studying for it and plan to take it in a few months.
I still have a few C's here and there in my pre-req, but not nearly as much as I used to!

What do you guys think? Any advice for a young mother who is dedicated to become a doctor no matter what stands in her way? :)
Kudos for staying on track. Congrats on your newborn.

Were you able to get any LORs?

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
that's great to read! However.. that 3.03 science GPA concerns me. I recommend continuing with the retakes and get that science GPA up above 3.3/3.4... and get that MCAT in! The bar minimum you want to score is ATLEAST a 27. You have the DO shadowing which is great. Continue any clinical experiences and rack up those hours! Oh.. and most importantly.. get all of your app stuff (personal statements, letters of rec, secondaries,) done ASAP and apply EARLY!

Good luck Mom! ;)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
What was your GPA in the post-bac?

OP
ASK5251
Jan 23, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys! So, I think I am going to retake my Organic Chem I as I got a C in that. I originally had a D, retook and was diagnosed with lymphoma, but still managed to still go to class and get a C to graduate. So, I think that's what I am going to work on now! Thanks for everyone's input!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Is your post-bac work grade repair and replacing all F/D/C science coursework? If so, recalculate your GPAs via AACOMAS criteria.

Around a 3.4-3.5

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
just an extra tip.. your GPA in your post-bacc should be the HIGHEST you can manage to get. I would suggest NOTHING LESS than an A. (one or 2 Bs may work here and there, but you gotta shoot for the stars!) This is usually a time to show adcoms the younger dumber you in college isn't the same student vying to get into medical school who now takes school very seriously! good luck!