Did this ruin my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kal995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in France under a language immersion study abroad program through my university; however, not long into the program, I was sexually assaulted. I withdrew from the program and went home, resulting in two Ws on my transcript (an entire summer semester). I feel that if I had been home rather than abroad, I would have been able to continue my studies. However, it was too much being away from my support system. Will these two Ws need explaining? Will they cast doubt on my ability to handle pressure and stressful situations?

I am worried that, due to these Ws, I will have to find a new path for myself that does not include medicine. Please feel free to tell me I am overreacting - but I would appreciate it if all the comments are kind. This is still pretty fresh.
Any and all advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear that you were assaulted.

Two W's will not derail your app. At most, you might get asked about it during an interview. Just be prepared with a professional short response.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all, I am sorry you got assaulted. You are the victim here, I wish your school would have supported you and removed these grades from your record instead of the W's. However, maybe you chose not to come forward with this to your school - this is your life so it is your choice.

Two W's, like said above, is not going to derail your app at all. You are overreacting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish your school would have supported you and removed these grades from your record instead of the W's.
I agree with the others' comments, kal995. Did you approach a dean at your school and request a retroactive withdrawal that won't appear on your record. If not, you might consider it. Bring documentation and/or a letter of support from a study abroad faculty member.

Reactions: 2 users
I am sorry about what happened to you. I have ready many times here that Ws are very insignificant. Given the circumstances I think that they will be as if not on your record.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was in France under a language immersion study abroad program through my university; however, not long into the program, I was sexually assaulted. I withdrew from the program and went home, resulting in two Ws on my transcript (an entire summer semester). I feel that if I had been home rather than abroad, I would have been able to continue my studies. However, it was too much being away from my support system. Will these two Ws need explaining? Will they cast doubt on my ability to handle pressure and stressful situations?

I am worried that, due to these Ws, I will have to find a new path for myself that does not include medicine. Please feel free to tell me I am overreacting - but I would appreciate it if all the comments are kind. This is still pretty fresh.
Any and all advice is welcome.
Even two Fs won't sink you.

Very sorry to hear of your woes.

In SDN-land, the mass delusion is that every grade has to be a A. They don't. The median GPA for MD acceptees is 3.7.

Reactions: 1 users