Did TMDSAS give me bad advice today?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by IceMan007, May 30, 2008.

1. IceMan007

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    So I'm done with my with my part of the TMDSAS application and am just awaiting receipt of transcripts and LOR by TMDSAS. Though I have no MCAT score and will take MCAT on July 10th (score release August 10th).

I called TMDSAS today and they told me that when a student submits their application TMDSAS processes whatever they have received and sends it immediately to the schools....meaning it doesn't matter if your LOR and MCAT score is missing, they forward whatever they have at the time. From that point they update the schools with whatever new materials they receive in your file as they come in (LOR's and MCAT scores).

The TMDSAS lady then goes on to tell me that I should not submit my application until I have my MCAT score...meaning August 10th! She explained to me that it's better for the schools to receive a complete application to look at once rather than receive an incomplete application early and have them put it at the bottom of some pile awaiting to be completed and looked at. It seems that if I followed her advice and submitted my application when my MCAT score comes out on August 10th that my application wouldn't be verified and sent to schools by TMDSAS until like mid-September.

Or I could submit early, get placed in some pile, and be complete when my MCAT scores get released on August 10th.

Did I get bad advice from TMDSAS?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. docolive

docolive DOColive

Medical Student
    I would feel confortable knowing that the school is collecting my application materials. Then, I would go ahead and keep in touch with them; they'll check your file, and once your score comes in, move you to the review tier of the pile. I would not worry too much. They need your score, and once they get that, they will evaluate your file.

4. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    don't freak out. call the schools once your score comes out to make sure you're complete and you should be fine.

your file will get looked at i'm sure.

in any case, there's nothing you can do about it now. you'll just have to relax and see.

5. IceMan007

Should I wait for TMDSAS to receive my LOR's before submitting the app?

6. Jolie South

Resident [Any Field]
    i didn't last year. i don't really think it's a big deal. they'll get forwarded on as soon as TMDSAS receives them.

7. IceMan007

Thanks Jolie...glad everything worked out well for you. My fingers are crossed.

8. Jolie South

Resident [Any Field]
    sure, i find it hard to believe that there's an office at every Texas school where all the incomplete apps go and are never seen again. :)

9. TxAgDoc

Pre-Medical
    Hi. I don't think you should worry. I just submitted my TMDSAS application about a week ago. After you submit they have an area "check status of application and documents received." In that location you can see the dates they received everything, pictures, money, LOR, scores, etc. They also have a date for when the application was sent out to schools. I am currently waiting on my LOR packet to get there and so there is no date for "sent out to schools" Hope this helps. :)