did u buy complete diagnostic set for 2nd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm curious what everyone thinks about buying a complete diagnostic set w/ panoptic opthalmoscope, otoscope, etc. ~$500-600..

Members don't see this ad.

Crazy. In the clinic there is one in every exam room. In the hospital there is one at every nurse's station.

I was required to buy one at the beginning of med school. I hardly ever use it now. I definitely needed it during first and second year, though. During our Introduction to Clinical Medicine course, we had to do complete exams every week on real patients at the hospital, and not every ward had an oto-ophthalmoscope available.

Since then, I haven't used it. It sits on my shelf collecting dust now because there is always one in the admitting area or clinic room. Plus, now if I absolutely need one on the floor and there isn't one available, I know where to go to get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought a W.A. oto/opthalm diag kit last year and used it on the ambulance (thus getting to deduct it as an unreimbursed employee expense on taxes).

Buy the cheapest set you can find! I only use mine for practice standardized patients and clinical competency exams. Although I'm not on clinical rotations yet, I suspect you will never need your own set, since they are in every patient room and examining room.

Yogi Bear said:
i'm curious what everyone thinks about buying a complete diagnostic set w/ panoptic opthalmoscope, otoscope, etc. ~$500-600..

Buy what you need on Ebay.

flighterdoc said:
Buy what you need on Ebay.

that's fine..but be careful

actually..a stethoscope, and a pen torch is all you need..and a PDA.. :D