did u chose hmo or ppo (and pay extra)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2007er

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So seems like my program has you either selecting hmo or ppo (and pay $500 more/month). Any benefits to each?

Members don't see this ad.

I chose the PPO. It was actually cheaper than the PPO and a number of the physicians at my university are in the PPO but won't take the HMO...

My program offers a choice between something called EPO and something called PPO. They haven't given us any information about what these are yet; I assume they will tell us during orientation. EPO is around $20/month while PPO is around $120/month. Anyone know about these options?

My program offers a choice between something called EPO and something called PPO. They haven't given us any information about what these are yet; I assume they will tell us during orientation. EPO is around $20/month while PPO is around $120/month. Anyone know about these options?

An EPO is an "exclusive provider" a variant of a PPO, except that there is no coverage if you go to a provider who is not the "exclusive" one named (except in the case of emergency). Don't know much more than that except that EPOs are generally much more limited (and hence, cheaper) than PPOs.

I chose the HMO during residency and fellowship; wider provider net, about the same cost, less out of pocket costs.

PPO is the way to go really. HMOs are very restrictive. But if you are generally healthy HMO would work.