did u know nething about medicine b4 med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwantthis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did you know anything about medicine before med school and what is it like as far as knowing the terminology and just being able to know what to do

Members don't see this ad.

I knew nothing, knew no terminology, had no idea how to go about trying to be a doctor until about 3 years ago. Starting then, I read everything I could get my hands on and made friends with every doctor, med student and midlevel provider (nurse or PA) that I ran into.

If you want to know what you're doing, don't try to find out here. Please get and read at least one of the following 3 books, preferably all of them. All are available on Amazon and elsewhere.

MSAR: a list of allopathic (that means MD, not DO) medical schools in the US and Canada, with half the book dedicated to the process of getting into one. Updated every year, anything 2006 or newer is fine.

Iserson's "Getting into Medical School for the Perplexed" which is a much easier read than the MSAR.

SDN's admissions guide: http://www.studentdoctor.net/sdn-admissions-guide. Haven't read it, but I'd assume it's comparable in content to the other two.

I also suggest that you find a military doctor and/or midlevel provider who can mentor you, preferably somebody who enlisted out of high school. Your military background is an asset but it doesn't pave the road for you. You haven't made any academic mistakes yet, which is a HUGE asset, so be smart and keep it that way.

Lastly, please don't use IM speak here. Leave that to the kids. Practice typing correct English, if for no other reason than to do well on the MCAT writing samples.

Best of luck to you.

I knew nothing, knew no terminology, had no idea how to go about trying to be a doctor until about 3 years ago. Starting then, I read everything I could get my hands on and made friends with every doctor, med student and midlevel provider (nurse or PA) that I ran into.

If you want to know what you're doing, don't try to find out here. Please get and read at least one of the following 3 books, preferably all of them. All are available on Amazon and elsewhere.

MSAR: a list of allopathic (that means MD, not DO) medical schools in the US and Canada, with half the book dedicated to the process of getting into one. Updated every year, anything 2006 or newer is fine.

Iserson's "Getting into Medical School for the Perplexed" which is a much easier read than the MSAR.

SDN's admissions guide: http://www.studentdoctor.net/sdn-admissions-guide. Haven't read it, but I'd assume it's comparable in content to the other two.

I also suggest that you find a military doctor and/or midlevel provider who can mentor you, preferably somebody who enlisted out of high school. Your military background is an asset but it doesn't pave the road for you. You haven't made any academic mistakes yet, which is a HUGE asset, so be smart and keep it that way.

Lastly, please don't use IM speak here. Leave that to the kids. Practice typing correct English, if for no other reason than to do well on the MCAT writing samples.

Best of luck to you.

you know, you are really teaching me alot, whether you realize it or not... whether it be giving me research info or just plain etiquette. thanks for that. even though i am no where near med school, i can start preparing now... who would have thought taking advice from a pool of anonymous posters would be helpful... now i look at this sight as helpful information and advice, rather than just a conversation piece or just getting on here when im bored...:bow:
but anyways THANKS......

I worked as a ward clerk/ nurse's aide for 7 years before going to medical schoo. I tell you what a HUGE advantage that is over those who have never worked before. I knew the terminology, the abbreviations, the lab tests, the radiology tests, how discharge planning works, how social work helps patients, detox. I was familiar with standard orders, admit orders, setting up outpatient services, what all the auxillary services do in the hospital, who to call for problems with equipment, dietary, and housekeeping. I worked on the mental health, ICU, surgery, and medical floors. When everyone else was madly writing things in class I already knew the shorthand - smooth sailing. Much easier than going in cold. I also was a patient and had multiple surgeries so I had that perspective too. If you can get some medical exposure it can only help you.