Did UW x 2, Read Secrets X2, still doing poorly, advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZOX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm throwing in the towel. I'm putting my test off. I've done UW twice. I averaged 61% on it and then reviewed the entire bank making it two reviews of UW. I've read USMLE Step 2 Secrets. My scores on my 3 NBME exams have been 194 = NBME 4, 210 = NBME 1 and 196 = NBME 2. I don't think the problem is the practice tests, the problem is with me. I felt like the UW was much easier and less vague than the NBME's. I don't have test anxiety. I don't have test taking skill problems. I think I may have trouble with fundamental concepts. Should I do a formal Kaplan review course with the live lectures and read the Kaplan books? Any advice would be much appreciated. As you can imagine, I'm frustated because I've done everything most people on SDN have done if not more and I can't even average 220's on the NBME's

Members don't see this ad.

I'm throwing in the towel. I'm putting my test off. I've done UW twice. I averaged 61% on it and then reviewed the entire bank making it two reviews of UW. I've read USMLE Step 2 Secrets. My scores on my 3 NBME exams have been 194 = NBME 4, 210 = NBME 1 and 196 = NBME 2. I don't think the problem is the practice tests, the problem is with me. I felt like the UW was much easier and less vague than the NBME's. I don't have test anxiety. I don't have test taking skill problems. I think I may have trouble with fundamental concepts. Should I do a formal Kaplan review course with the live lectures and read the Kaplan books? Any advice would be much appreciated. As you can imagine, I'm frustated because I've done everything most people on SDN have done if not more and I can't even average 220's on the NBME's

Although it's easier said than done, try not to get too down on yourself, because that's only going to make the situation worse.

How did you do on Step 1? Many people talk about going way up for Step 2, but in my experience, the people that went way up were those who underachieved on Step 1. Most others go up by the difference in the means of the two exams (about 7-10 points...I went up 9). Going into the process expecting to increase your score by 30 points (just because you believe everyone else is doing it) is not a healthy way to look at it.

What's your situation? Are you an FMG? Have you already applied this year?

The issue with reviewing is that you cannot review what you do not know. You admit that you are having problems with fundamental concepts, so perhaps that is the problem. Or perhaps the issue may be that you are not identifying what the question is asking or not pulling the clues from the prompt (aka you know the concept but not as presented).

The test indeed will be somewhat easier and harder than UWorld as some of the questions will be notoriously vague like you have also hit upon.

I got my it handed to me by OBGYN, and I did utilize the Kaplan review notes. Kaplan notes are DENSE, but they might help you learn and understand concepts that are not otherwise gleaned from more concise review books.

That being said, the Kaplan courses are expensive, but if you learn through lectures and independent reading, then it might be a good option.

The other thing to take into account is how good your Step 1 score is. If you need to improve for residency app purposes, then that will tailor how much you need to bring it for Step 2CK.

Overall, the positive issue is that it is a test, and it can be beat! Keep a positive attitude and solid work ethic. :luck:

Thank you guys for the advice. I was loaned a set of 2008 Kaplan Step 2 CK books. I've noticed some of the questions I missed on the NBME's had information that was only in the Kaplan notes. I knew the main details of topics but I didn't know those finer details like knowing Cryoglobulinemia is associated with Hep C. If I'm getting 4-5 more questions correct per set, that will improve my score considerably. I also know that many people actually read the Kaplan sets 2 or 3 times before attempting UW so their base of knowledge is pretty solid. Anyway, I'm encouraged and looking forward to taking this test in 2 months and achieving my goal.

Yeah I was just going to recommend you use a good comprehensive review source. I used FA and although it's not as great as FA was for Step 1 and everyone seems wishy-washy on SDN about it, I think it's pretty darn decent. I think the combo of a simple comprehensive review source (whether it's FA, Crush, kaplan, whatever) plus UW (or other questions) is very strong.